Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band Swingin' For The Fences
XTC Nonsuch
XTC Drums & Wires

The GGBPB is because everyone was jazzed about their having a new release so I found their first on DVDA (new) for ~$6 and it just showed up today.
The XTC is so I can hear them again through real gear instead of just a sound bar and finally rate them.

1600985062648.png
1600985088071.png
1600985125796.png

Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band Swingin' For The Fences
XTC Nonsuch
XTC Drums & Wires

The GGBPB is because everyone was jazzed about their having a new release so I found their first on DVDA (new) for ~$6 and it just showed up today.
The XTC is so I can hear them again through real gear instead of just a sound bar and finally rate them.

View attachment 56762 View attachment 56763 View attachment 56764
I really like this one also:
https://www.discogs.com/Gordon-Goodwins-Big-Phat-Band-XXL/release/7862489

I've NEVER heard it--been afraid to buy it because of its poor POLL showing. I would LOVE to read your review!

The mix was done by Chuck Ainlay (who's done very discrete mixes like Dire Straits Brothers in Arms and Knopfler's Sailing to Philadelphia amongst others) and in my opinion (with the caveat that there's only audience and reverbs in the rear speakers) it's about as good as a concert mixed in that style gets. You definitely feel like you're in amongst the crowd at the gigs that produced this set. If you like this music to start with, and calibrate your expectations about the mixing style there's nothing to quibble with as far as I'm concerned.

The only small downside is that despite being delivered at 24/96 on the DVD-A, spectral analysis shows a distinct 44.1kHz cutoff - I wonder if maybe there were originally just going to remix this for the CD deluxe edition and transferred the multitracks at CD resolution, and then later decided to do the SACD and DVD-A but didn't want to go through the time and expense of re-transferring all the original analog tapes. FWIW I didn't notice that it sounded "CD resolution" so maybe the people who put this set together felt like there wasn't much quality to be gained by transferring or mixing in hirez given that it's a noisy 40 year old concert recording - I know when that Yes Progeny box set of live recordings from their 1973 concert tour came out a few years ago on CD only, I asked the producer of the set Brian Kehew why they didn't release hirez digital downloads at HDTracks etc. and that was the very reason he cited, that he didn't feel the CD versions were audibly different from their original hirez master mixes.

The mix was done by Chuck Ainlay (who's done very discrete mixes like Dire Straits Brothers in Arms and Knopfler's Sailing to Philadelphia amongst others) and in my opinion (with the caveat that there's only audience and reverbs in the rear speakers) it's about as good as a concert mixed in that style gets. You definitely feel like you're in amongst the crowd at the gigs that produced this set. If you like this music to start with, and calibrate your expectations about the mixing style there's nothing to quibble with as far as I'm concerned.

The only small downside is that despite being delivered at 24/96 on the DVD-A, spectral analysis shows a distinct 44.1kHz cutoff - I wonder if maybe there were originally just going to remix this for the CD deluxe edition and transferred the multitracks at CD resolution, and then later decided to do the SACD and DVD-A but didn't want to go through the time and expense of re-transferring all the original analog tapes. FWIW I didn't notice that it sounded "CD resolution" so maybe the people who put this set together felt like there wasn't much quality to be gained by transferring or mixing in hirez given that it's a noisy 40 year old concert recording - I know when that Yes Progeny box set of live recordings from their 1973 concert tour came out a few years ago on CD only, I asked the producer of the set Brian Kehew why they didn't release hirez digital downloads at HDTracks etc. and that was the very reason he cited, that he didn't feel the CD versions were audibly different from their original hirez master mixes.
I couldn't have stated that better myself!! 🤞 :QQlove;)

Great article on the making of the DVD-A:
https://www.mixonline.com/recording/frampton-comes-alive-51-376104

The fidelity is gorgeous, but there is nothing music wise on the rears...NOTHING...
That's for sure......but you really feel like you're there in the crowd, it's not the music in this case that detracts from the enjoyment because it's really not the type of recording that benefits from multi channel, it's not like its Pink Floyd or some other Psycgedelic Musical Group, plus it's a LIVE recording from the '70's 🤞

Great article, thanks - I think it gives some valuable insight into how complex remixing an old album can be, and that whether or not to put instruments in the rear speakers isn't a talent or skill issue, it's a philisophical decision.

Interesting that the article mentions UMG thinking about remixing Joe Cocker's Mad Dogs and Englishmen in 5.1 - although given how disappointing the mixes of the other titles mentioned along with it (Derek and the Dominos Layla, Allman Bros. At Fillmore East) maybe it's kind of a moot point.

Back