Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this one seems like a no-brainer at this point!
1603760161258.png
David BowieThe Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars

POLL

Another Astounding Classical TWO~FER from D~V in STUNNING DISCRETE SONICS with the highlight being Aaron Copland conducting his own Appalachian Spring, Complete Ballet, with the Columbia Chamber Orchestra.

81%2BOFPal23L._AC_SL1422_.jpg

This would be one of my recommendations for people (like me) who are part of the "I don't know anything about classical music but I might want to buy one of these" crowd. A really lively, accessible, fun piece of music, and a great active quad mix.

I couldn't get into the Chavez half of the disc at all though, it seems like the polar opposite in terms of accessibility - weird guttural primordial rumbles with very little melody to speak of.

This would be one of my recommendations for people (like me) who are part of the "I don't know anything about classical music but I might want to buy one of these" crowd. A really lively, accessible, fun piece of music, and a great active quad mix.

I couldn't get into the Chavez half of the disc at all though, it seems like the polar opposite in terms of accessibility - weird guttural primordial rumbles with very little melody to speak of.

Dave, I only wish Michael Dutton had placed the Copland Disc first and then the Chavez but alas not. For the asking price of £11.99 for two complete Columbia Masterworks SQ discs more than justifies purchase of this for the Copland disc alone.

Dave, I only wish Michael Dutton had placed the Copland Disc first and then the Chavez but alas not. For the asking price of £11.99 for two complete Columbia Masterworks SQ discs more than justifies purchase of this for the Copland disc alone.

I think the album sequencing was dictated entirely by the fact that the SACD stereo layer (only) included the 'Copland Rehearses Appalachian Spring' EP - the only way for the three programs to sync up was for the running order to be Chavez (CD/SACD stereo/SACD multi) -> Copland (CD/SACD Stereo/SACD multi) -> Copland Rehearsal (SACD stereo only).

It's also worth noting that as a result of that, the SACD stereo layer of this album must be one of the longer ones in existence - the Chavez portion runs about 50 minutes, the full Appalachian Spring is about 34 minutes, and then the Appalachian Spring rehearsal is a further 17 minutes, so well over 100 minutes in total playing time.

Back