Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For those of you talking about Kraftwerk - I’m sorta on the fence (because of the expense) and would love to get a simple breakdown (I now that might not be possible...); I’ve done some research but am trying to cut through the hype language.

So, am I right that both the Catalogue box and MinimumMaximum are live, but both are nicely discreet in their mix and are different recordings? Like, one doesn’t necessarily render the other moot?

I’m certainly not a Kraftwerk completist and if the original studio stuff was available I’d certainly go that route. But without that prospect, is there a clear winner if I were to only hunt down one?

The overall winner is clearly The Catalogue Box if you value Dolby Atmos and very good visuals.

Edited: And not being a Kraftwerk completist I would recommend for his big selection and very good sound (it sounds like or better than studio)...: The Catalogue

Last edited:
Hawkwind - Warrior On The Edge Of Time 5.1 DVD Steven Wilson mix
woteot.jpg

It okay but not originals, It's cover versions.

On my system it sounds pretty incredible....nice DEEP bass! I know one Amazon reviewer said it sounded like elevator music renditions of the Carpenter originals. Was that YOU? The HDCD encoding is pretty amazing as well. Carpenter utilized a lot of synthesizers on his original recordings but I think the Silva Screen Carpenter disc is more contemporary in nature as synthesizers encompass a more [dated] '80's sound!

Last edited:
CDJapan is very stingy on the details. Does the DVD contain the originally released 5.1 surround mix?

I cannot verify that but am assuming it's the same edition as the deluxe versions which do contain the 5.1 remix. The addition of two SHM~CDs pad the price.

This might be of some help as the Tubular Bells 2 SHM~CD/DVD edition does indicate it contains the same QUAD mix as the original LP

https://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/UICY-79364
edit: if you do scan down to the TRACKLISTING/SAMPLE listing it does indicate 5.1 on Ommadawn, as well!

Last edited:
Back