Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pyotr Il'yich TCHAIKOVSKY SWAN LAKE: Ballet in Four Acts [Naxos/2 Multi~CH SACDs] Illuminating with superb sonics

See the source image

See the source image

In My {HUMBLE} Opinion, ALL of Chesky's multichannel releases save for a scant few have rear ambience only but are recorded to such HIGH STANDARDS it sometimes obfuscates the need for discrete elements. Since most of them are encoded at lower than normal levels, a volume boost will bring out the merits in Chesky's minimalist approach to surround.

The Chesky brothers founded a record company with the goal of producing the more high fidelity in their records as possible. Several years ago I learned with their reference demo CDs that with the 16/44.1 digital definition you can get nearly the maximum standard with respect to listening fidelity. Its only a matter of good recording, binaural techniques and none or very few post processing.

Following this goal, their Surround releases look for recreate the ambient sound as it is. Something like the Auro-3D objectives to recreate the Hall reverberation sound. So, they are no prone to play with discrete sound bits, as others.

Alva Noto and Ryuichi Sakamoto with the Ensemble Modern - utp_

The music is gorgeous. The 5.1 mix is less-than-spectacular, though, with only occasional ambiance in the rear speakers. Still beautiful, and the accompanying documentary of Noto and Sakamoto working with members of the Ensemble Modern is interesting.

MI0001756545.jpg

Last edited:
Roisin Murphy has been posting videos all last year of herself at home karaoke-ing to her own music. She's pretty awesome :)

Anyway, I had no idea this album was available in multichannel format!

It's a really phenomenal 5.1 mix too - I don't think it commands the same kinds of crazy prices that the Groove Armada SACDs do in the secondary market these days, and it's an even better mix. If you like the music at all, it's worth seeking out.

Going to play different releases of John Lennon, getting ready for the new upcoming release. This is Imagine 5.1 Blu Ray, even though I think I like the 4.0 Quadrophonic version better.
I also am trying to take a break from critical detailed listening, I have been following a couple threads on QQ and they have been making me crazy, like Oh My God, I have to change something, so I decided to just chill and go back to what I really love and that is just listening to music, warts and all. Imagine being free of audio craziness. I am blessed with good hearing.
R-12620800-1569647011-5877.jpeg.jpg

Back