Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
56387F80-4A14-4BCA-964D-C966A013229F.jpeg

Anton Bruckner:

Symphony No. 00 in F minor
Overture in G minor
3 Pieces
March

Rudolf Innig, Goll organ of Marktkirche Hannover

360 Degrees & War of the Gods - Billy Paul 2 SACD
LIve in Europe - Billy Paul SACD
Road Food & #10 - Guess Who SACD

All 5 above titles I bought previously in Quad. OK, my #10 is a CD-4 promo. All great mixes. Musically, each has its' moments. Still, most of the tracks on all 5 of these are among my least played Quads. 360 is my most played among these. Individual tracks Me & Mrs. Jones (Paul) & Road Food (Guess Who) have been earworms of mine for years.

other surround spins lately:
Synergy - Larry Fast QS
Secret Treaties - Blue Oyster Cult SACD
Never Get Out of These Blues Alive - John Lee Hooker QS
Age of Steam - Gerry Mulligan DVD-V
Native Sons - Loggins & Messina SQ
Another Country - Chieftains Dolby Surround CD

If ONLY they could get the LED outta their pants and remix their CORE albums in ATMOS!

F*ck Atmos !!

I just need 5.1 for their Studio albums . Nothing too fancy for me .
Many would agree but those with Atmos , well more power to them, however a small number they be.

:unsure:

How is it? I've never warmed to the study symphony, but I'm open to advocacy.
For me, this one was a no brainer. I mean Bruckner, organ, and Hirez surround... what’s not to like!? I still have fond memories of hearing the β€œBruckner” organ at St. Florian when I visited the monastery near Linz. And now after having listened a few times to this recording on the Goll organ in Hannover, I can warmly recommend it. The performance and recording are excellent. Rear channels are ambient but definitely help fill out the overall soundstage.

Having said that, though, this disc is probably more for organ aficionados and Bruckner completists. The works on this disc are from Brucknerβ€˜s (middle-agedπŸ˜‰) early period. His symphony in F minor was his first foray into the genre. As you hinted at, it doesn’t quite reach the lofty heights of his later symphonies. Many people say it sounds like a Schumann or Mendelssohn symphony (which is alright by me). Bruckner was also still primarily an organist at this stage of his career. The influence of the organ seems to play a bigger role in this symphony, which has a different structure than the grand architecture of his later symphonies.

So, does the organ version work better than the orchestra version? Well, as a huge fan of organ music, I personally enjoy listening to the organ version more. It gives the symphony a more intimate quality, which suits the work’s gentle, pastoral character. But, I am not sure it will be enough to persuade listeners who prefer his symphonic music played by a full orchestra.

Last edited:
For me, this one was a no brainer. I mean Bruckner, organ, and Hirez surround... what’s not to like!? I still have fond memories of hearing the β€œBruckner” organ at St. Florian when I visited the monastery near Linz. And now after having listened a few times to this recording on the Goll organ in Hannover, I can warmly recommend it. The performance and recording are excellent. Rear channels are ambient but definitely help fill out the overall soundstage.

Having said that, though, this disc is probably more for organ aficionados and Bruckner completists. The works on this disc are from Brucknerβ€˜s (middle-agedπŸ˜‰) early period. His symphony in F minor was his first foray into the genre. As you hinted at, it doesn’t quite reach the lofty heights of his later symphonies. Many people say it sounds like a Schumann or Mendelssohn symphony (which is alright by me). Bruckner was also still primarily an organist at this stage of his career. The influence of the organ seems to play a bigger role in this symphony, which has a different structure than the grand architecture of his later symphonies.

So, does the organ version work better than the orchestra version? Well, as a huge fan of organ music, I personally enjoy listening to the organ version more. It gives the symphony a more intimate quality, which suits the work’s gentle, pastoral character. But, I am not sure it will be enough to persuade listeners who prefer his symphonic music played by a full orchestra.
Thanks! That's really helpful. I'm not an organ fanatic but I do very much enjoy Bruckner. I like Schumann and Mendelssohn too, though, so I'll give it another try.

81u-0kYVTDL._SL600_.jpg

I'm a little embarrassed to only be getting to this now. One of my most boring dark secrets is that I never particularly warmed to Ravel and Debussy. I find their work interesting, and Ravel wrote some very enjoyable stuff, but in Daphnis in particular he's very "impressionist" and I have trouble with it. This didn't change that, but damn it sounds great.

81u-0kYVTDL._SL600_.jpg

I'm a little embarrassed to only be getting to this now. One of my most boring dark secrets is that I never particularly warmed to Ravel and Debussy. I find their work interesting, and Ravel wrote some very enjoyable stuff, but in Daphnis in particular he's very "impressionist" and I have trouble with it. This didn't change that, but damn it sounds great.
The funny thing is that's why I like Ravel & Debussy! My late father was once listening to some Debussy and I walked in to the room I was maybe 15, and said oh I like this reminds me of impressionist painting, he laughed and then showed me the LP cover which was a Monet painting I think, I must have a look through the LPs of his as I have them downstairs.

The funny thing is that's why I like Ravel & Debussy! My late father was once listening to some Debussy and I walked in to the room I was maybe 15, and said oh I like this reminds me of impressionist painting, he laughed and then showed me the LP cover which was a Monet painting I think, I must have a look through the LPs of his as I have them downstairs.

Always figured you were an impressionable adolescent, Dunc!

Back