Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
INXS: KICK (ATMOS 7.2.4)
R-11097942-1523879847-8314.jpeg.jpg

Oh nice, how's that one sound Adam?

really dynamic! one moment its so deathly quiet you can hear a pin drop, then boom! its horns all round blasting away! 🤩

like most of the A&M Quads the mix isn't the last word in terms of separation but it has its moments. "Bellavia" was also a CD-4 LP only release, i think it may even have been A&M's last Quad release (?) either way its kinda scarce now.. and i think the album was recorded live with no overdubs which is pretty cool too!!

the other earlier Mangione A&M Quad, "Chase The Clouds Away" is no slouch either, although more readily 'out there' since it was on Q8 as well as CD-4.

Return To Forever ‎– Musicmagic
SACD quadraphonic mix

It took me several listens before I appreciated this one. At first the vocals really threw me off.
The fidelity & mix are A+

View attachment 71903

its a grower for sure!! 😋

"there's a maaaaaan,
who's come through it aaaaaall..
"

absolutely bonkers album but i totally love it and it's even more bonkers in Quad! DV really DeeVeeLivered the goods on this one 🥰 🍻

Olivier Latry MIDNIGHT AT NOTRE~DAME [DGG/Multi~CH SACD/5.1] "As Paris Slept, Notre~Dame's organist Olivier Latry recorded this musical celebration of well known classics."

Even more poignant as the City of Paris seeks to restore the magnificent Cathedral to its original GLORY following a devastating fire in April of 2019!

R.6c4839d29167118a68a6708e60ae1cd6

71iRzR823SL._SL1200_.jpg

Last edited:
its a grower for sure!! 😋

"there's a maaaaaan,
who's come through it aaaaaall..
"

absolutely bonkers album but i totally love it and it's even more bonkers in Quad! DV really DeeVeeLivered the goods on this one 🥰 🍻
Chick Corea reached to me as a Twiter Follower and asked me about myself and why I liked his music, about 2 years ago, I guess he was sick already. I promised this would be the first multichannel disc I would play when I fired up the 41 loudspeaker system atop the Omni San Diego, The system is up, but I have not gone there yet. I will honor my promise when I do. Too bad is not Romantic Warrior in 5.1!

Chick Corea reached to me as a Twiter Follower and asked me about myself and why I liked his music, about 2 years ago, I guess he was sick already. I promised this would be the first multichannel disc I would play when I fired up the 41 loudspeaker system atop the Omni San Diego, The system is up, but I have not gone there yet. I will honor my promise when I do. Too bad is not Romantic Warrior in 5.1!

Among Chick Corea's many [MANY] contributions to modern jazz, one of my favorite covers of Chick's magnificent Children's Songs [originally performed by Chick SOLO on the ECM Label] is this marvelous multi channel discrete SACD on the Stockfisch record label:

71Cg5uEga1L._SL1046_.jpg
514o7vPCHiL._SL1200_.jpg

Last edited:

Romantic Warrior released in Quadraphonic , or 5.1 would be sublime .🗡🛡

Van Der Graaf Generator
Godbluff and Still Life

Now I have heard all 4 surround mixes. Fidelity is excellent. The surround mix is subtle but effective. I frankly need to listen more once is not enough. And I want to get to the rest of the box contents. But I am very happy with this so far.

This morning:

Contemporary American composer William Bolcom's ambitious song-cycle, Songs of Innocence and Experience (settings of poems by Blake). Naxos DTS 5.1 DVD-A, 2005. This is one of my personal "10 Acquisitions of the Past Year I'm Most Pleased With." Mini-review here.

And then, for something completely different: Karrin Allyson, Sweet Home Cookin'. Concord Jazz 5.1 SACD, 2003 (1994). Beautifully recorded, with a nice, full mix by Phil Edwards: four-corner vocal (and, sometimes, instrumental solos); otherwise: some bleed from front to back (and vice versa), but for the most part it's horns across the fronts, drums right rear, Alan Broadbent's piano comping left rear, and a ton of bass. Some standards, some blues, some Jobim, some Mingus. And Allyson's throaty voice.

Last edited:
A Penteo upmix again. Mike Oldfield - Collaborations (1976).
I've got the Boxed 3CD Ed. a long time ago. Collected all those songs from the three CDs and mixed them to 5.1 using Penteo. Knowing this Box for so many years. It contained four LPs and Collaborations was never released as 4.0 or 5.1 (officially). May be I'm wrong.
Especially "First Excursion" is my favourite piece on this CD.
Tubular Bells was released as 4.0 SACD and crippled 5.1 dolby digital version, Hergest Ridge and Ommadawn as lossy 5.1 AC3 as well. What a shame to those fantastic and beautiful pieces of art. DTS9624 is a minimum requirement, isn't it?

Back