Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, it would have to be remixed into surround as the Surround Discograhy only lists Musicmagic as the only Return to Forever album remixed into surround

RETURN TO FOREVER -
Musicmagic. Columbia PCQ-34682 (SQ), CAQ-34682 (Q8)

Yes I know Ralphie ,and thankyou.
I was just dreaming ..........Romantically(Romantic in quad):sleep:

A Penteo upmix again. Mike Oldfield - Collaborations (1976).
I've got the Boxed 3CD Ed. a long time ago. Collected all those songs from the three CDs and mixed them to 5.1 using Penteo. Knowing this Box for so many years. It contained four LPs and Collaborations was never released as 4.0 or 5.1 (officially). May be I'm wrong.
Especially "First Excursion" is my favourite piece on this CD.
Tubular Bells was released as 4.0 SACD and crippled 5.1 dolby digital version, Hergest Ridge and Ommadawn as lossy 5.1 AC3 as well. What a shame to those fantastic and beautiful pieces of art. DTS9624 is a minimum requirement, isn't it?

Yep ! It sure was :)

20210927_194412.jpg
20210927_193932.jpg

For the dinner hour:

Dorothée Munyaneza (with members of Afro-Celt Sound System), self-titled (Luminary/RealWorld Works 5.1 DTS 24/96 DVD-A/V, 2010). Such a beautiful album, with such a powerful mix by @neil wilkes! Thankfully now back in print (in FLAC 5.1) at Immersive Audio Album:
https://immersiveaudioalbum.com/product/dorothee-munyaneza/
Also still available as a physical disc from producer Martin Russell's Luminary Records website:
http://www.luminary-records.com/shop.html
B/t/w: Dorothée guests on a new album by Ben LaMar Gay to be released this fall on Nonesuch:
https://thevinylfactory.com/news/ben-lamar-gay-new-album-vinyl-open-arms-to-us/

Last edited:
Nice! As LP (SQ, CD-4 or ???). But never as SACD, DVD or BD.
Made available on 2 LP set in SQ quad , no stereo only copies, all were quad SQ.

I have the 1989 German CD Set , which says remixed in quad (This CD set is stereo) for all 3 of the first albums, Tubular Bells , Hergest Ridge , and Ommadawn .

But an a/b comparison to the quad SQ LP album proves it's still in SQ quad as it was with the original .
That's no surprise as it has to be remixed entirely to remove the SQ Matrix.

Pic of cd liner notes for Hergest Ridge , to show what I mean.

20210928_135147.jpg

Made available on 2 LP set in SQ quad , no stereo only copies, all were quad SQ.

I have the 1989 German CD Set , which says remixed in quad (This CD set is stereo) for all 3 of the first albums, Tubular Bells , Hergest Ridge , and Ommadawn .

But an a/b comparison to the quad SQ LP album proves it's still in SQ quad as it was with the original .
That's no surprise as it has to be remixed entirely to remove the SQ Matrix.

Pic of cd liner notes for Hergest Ridge , to show what I mean.

Do you have the "BOXED" 3 CD Set? I don't know if mine is from 1989 actually. Have to take a look. But anyway, only TB was released in 4.0 on SACD. What a pity that the rest wasn't... including Collaborations.

Do you have the "BOXED" 3 CD Set? I don't know if mine is from 1989 actually. Have to take a look. But anyway, only TB was released in 4.0 on SACD. What a pity that the rest wasn't... including Collaborations.

Yes I do have the 3cd Boxed set. I ordered mine back in 1990 straight from Virgin Records in G.B.

BTW Tubular Bells was one of the very first multichannel SACD (4.0) to be released by EMI .

And of course also in 5.1 DVD , along with , Hergest Ridge , and , Ommadawn all CD/DVD on Mercury/UMG .

Band of Thieves, self-titled (Ovation "Sector 4" [QS] LP, 1976).

1632932901223.png

I'd never heard of this Twin Cities funk/soul band, even though I lived in Minneapolis for a decade, until I came by an excellent conversion of their one and only album. A lot of fun, even if they're sort of a minor-league outfit. (Some klunky and/or pedestrian lyrics and a somewhat derivative sound--partly due to the label's determination to crib from PIR and SNL and maybe EW&F--but good tunes, soulful vocals, tight, energetic playing, and top-shelf production.) The mix? Well, it's QS, but the balance of vocals-towards-the-fronts and drumkit-towards-the-rears is strong enough that you can fool yourself into thinking there's some real separation. If the multis still exist, this deserves a reissue in a modern format.

This album preceded Prince's debut by just two years. Apparently the producer insisted on replacing the band's horn section and slicking up the arrangements, softening their hard-edged sound in a way they weren't pleased with. Here's a page of liner notes about them, part of the LP version of a 2012 collection documenting the forgotten Twin Cities funk and soul scene of the 1960s and 70s:
https://secretstashrecords.com/news/TwinCitiesFunkAndSoulNewspaperWeb.pdf#page=22
Also:
https://www.startribune.com/lost-found-and-funky/169702696/

Last edited:
When I posted this newly acquired DVD~Audio disc last week it was actually a pre~order. Received it the other day via AmazonUS [for $9 delivered, brand new] and was blown away by the musicianship and discrete LPCM 4.1 Audio [44.1/24 bit] Rabih Abou~Khalil is a master of the Oud and this vibrant Enja Records DVD~Audio is a joy to own

See the source image

See the source image

Rabih Abou~Khalil

Baron [Bernard Estardy], La formule du Baron (Japanese-only SQ LP, 1972).

1632936067241.png

Whoa! Another new one for me--although I gather this album has a cult following among crate-diggers, among others. And in France, the producer, electronic experimenter, and CBE Studio founder Estardy is evidently known as "Le Géant."

This album is crazy good! Also just plain crazy. Hints and/or echoes of everything from Tati to Gainsbourg to Yello to Alvin and the Chipmunks (the hors-catégorie "Meut's Boogie"), all infused with what 1960s "mod" Paris imagined as le jazz. And lots of discrete action, even in SQ. Please, CBS Japan: add this to your 7-inch reissue program! Or at least give Michael Dutton the tapes!

Adam, you're missing Joy in Quad. Also, 2 SQ LP Live at Sahara Tahoe.

Three Tough Guys,
Three Tough Guys,
See how they run.. through the Surround Master! 🤣✌️

View attachment 71831

you know i've never seen the movies of the Stax/Isaac Hayes Soundtrack Quads i love so much! neither Shaft, Tough Guys nor Truck Turner.. what am i missing? (they're awful films, aren't they!? 🤔 break it to me gently! 😂 )

Klaus Schulze ‎– Rheingold

"Schulze is a wonder to watch live.
A single musician surrounded by an immense wall of electronic equipment.
It's amazing how he can construct a song from nothing and turn it into a huge, intricate composition.
He'll move around and make a whole bunch of adjustments to every device around him and before you know it the song sounds like it could be played by a 10-person band"

PXL_20210929_182351962.MP.jpg
PXL_20210929_180452090.MP.jpg

Last edited:
BT – Monster soundtrack
DTS 5.1 multichannel mix

"Famed electronica producer/composer
BT (Brian Transeau) created smooth, dream-like instrumental tracks whose gentle surfaces belie the gruesome tale they accompany"

PXL_20210929_182254284.MP.jpg
PXL_20210929_181249386.MP.jpg

Back