Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
finally got access to some of me ol' discs so having a Blu-ray Audio day! hooray! 🥳🎉

9B197D28-7C59-4DF9-9398-62A5FC4C76BA.jpeg

Chain Tripping it in the Dolby Atmos thread at the moment.. which one shall i play next? 😋

finally got access to some of me ol' discs so having a Blu-ray Audio day! hooray! 🥳🎉

View attachment 72635

Chain Tripping it in the Dolby Atmos thread at the moment.. which one shall i play next? 😋
I recognize all those except the one between Barber & Adams?
And don’t believe I’ve got Blueprint; what kind of music is that Freddie?

I recognize all those except the one between Barber & Adams?
And don’t believe I’ve got Blueprint; what kind of music is that Freddie?

oh that's Serge Gainsbourg's "Histoire de Melody Nelson", a Universal France release from 2013, one of the earliest if not the earliest Surround HFPA releases and a reissue of sorts of the CD/DVD-V 40th Anniversary Deluxe Edition from 2011.

edit: whoops, meant to say "Blueprint" is a kind of sci-fi thing about a bloke nobbing his robot girlfriend or something. lots of moody narration and spacey synths all to a doof-doof beat! its fun enough if a bit long in the tooth, i started to lose interest about halfway along but i saw it through to the end! yeay! epic! 😂

from a Surround pov neither one is essential although i remember the Gainsbourg being quite fun, i think it was maybe mixed like an old Quad with loads of separation? possibly rhythm section upfront and the strings in the back something like that! that's just from memory and i haven't played it for years so i'll give it a spin to refresh the old memory bank and report back here! 😋

Last edited:
oh that's Serge Gainsbourg's "Histoire de Melody Nelson", a Universal France release from 2013, one of the earliest if not the earliest Surround HFPA releases and a reissue of sorts of the CD/DVD-V 40th Anniversary Deluxe Edition from 2011.

edit: whoops, meant to say "Blueprint" is a kind of sci-fi thing about a bloke nobbing his robot girlfriend or something. lots of moody narration and spacey synths all to a doof-doof beat! its fun enough if a bit long in the tooth, i started to lose interest about halfway along but i saw it through to the end! yeay! epic! 😂

from a Surround pov neither one is essential although i remember the Gainsbourg being quite fun, i think it was maybe mixed like an old Quad with loads of separation? possibly rhythm section upfront and the strings in the back something like that! that's just from memory and i haven't played it for years so i'll give it a spin to refresh the old memory bank and report back here! 😋

Lurv the Gainsbourg--the music, mostly. (Although Gainsbourg is one of those acquired tastes.) But the mix is spare and clean. Almost "stealth" 5.1, as I remember it. For the longest time, and for long stretches, it sounds like 3.0--and then some little instrumental riffs & fillips will suddenly emerge from the rears.

Lurv the Gainsbourg--the music, mostly. (Although Gainsbourg is one of those acquired tastes.) But the mix is spare and clean. Almost "stealth" 5.1, as I remember it. For the longest time, and for long stretches, it sounds like 3.0--and then some little instrumental riffs & fillips will suddenly emerge from the rears.

oui oui! i'm listening to it now, musically i'm enjoying it.. mixwise ooh la la, its all a bit kooky but good clean fun! 😅

75C805B5-4077-437B-8A2E-DE0ACF0D2147.jpeg

Poll is here 🙂

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...melody-nelson-bluray-audio.18435/#post-196553

Melissa Manchester, Melissa (1975) and Better Days & Happy Endings (1976). I'm not a MM fan, particularly, but I really wanted to hear this pair of superb conversions from CD-4. Catchy, soulful pop songs & ballads. And great pipes. Solid mixes from Bob Schaper--anybody know anything else about him? (Now this is a pair of albums that Dutton might have easier access to?)

1634405092810.png
1634405247670.png

The Manhattans, It Feels So Good (1977, in a conversion from a discrete source). Oo, Baby.

I really dig this one as well - it’s likely another Dick Bogert & Warren Vincent quad mix (judging by the ‘drums rear right, bass rear left’ presentation). It somehow holds together despite the extreme separation. Perhaps we could get a D-V two-fer with the self-titled album in stereo and this one in quad?

David Russell ART OF THE GUITAR [Telarc/Multi~CH SACD/Pure DSD Recording]

https://www.hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=4385#reviews

R-14939052-1584419959-8450.jpeg.jpg
how discrete is the mix on this one, please Ralphie? 🧐
had my beady mince pies on it for years.. 👀

GOOD THINGS COME TO THOSE WHO WAIT.
Literally, Adam, I just liberated this exceptional Telarc DSD Recorded Mch~SACD from it's cellophane wrapping the other night after sitting on a shelf for years. Even though it's a solo guitar recording, the soundstage is WIDE and Deep .....The rears bolster the fronts in ways most classical recordings do not. And it makes one nostalgic for the Telarc/Heads Up labels which over the years afforded us some exceptional
releases including stunning ultra discrete tour de forces.

I really dig this one as well - it’s likely another Dick Bogert & Warren Vincent quad mix (judging by the ‘drums rear right, bass rear left’ presentation). It somehow holds together despite the extreme separation. Perhaps we could get a D-V two-fer with the self-titled album in stereo and this one in quad?

a number of those "Bogert & Vincent" style mixes hold up really well for me (Musicmagic, Love Crazy, the Minnie Riperton's, Tower Of Power) and if some find they don't, i know people hate having their systems second-guessed by a random person on the internet but honestly i feel those people may have setup issues, quite possibly including overloud "Audyssey-fied" (TM!) Rears.

Jimmy McGriff & Groove Holmes, Come Together (1974, in a conversion from quad reel). "Licks-a-Plenty": no foolin'! A fabulous mix (with dueling organs in stereo pairs), and a cookin' backup band that includes O'Donel Levy on guitar and the legendary Bernard "Pretty" Purdie on drums. The epitome of swingin' soul jazz.

1634415353021.png

Yehudi Menuhin & Stéphane Grappelli, Fascinatin' Rhythm (1975) and Tea for Two (1978), both in SurroundMaster transfers from SQ LP. Remember when these classical-meets-X team-ups were a thing? (Somewhere I have another of Menuhin and Jean-Pierre Rampal with Ravi Shankar, also in quad.) These ones aren't bad, even if Menuhin is a little stiff. Hard to go wrong with standards, and Grappelli swings enough for two. They do kind of look like brothers from different mothers, though, don't they?

1634417130802.png
1634417189215.png

Yehudi Menuhin & Stéphane Grappelli, Fascinatin' Rhythm (1975) and Tea for Two (1978), both in SurroundMaster transfers from SQ LP. Remember when these classical-meets-X team-ups were a thing? (Somewhere I have another of Menuhin and Jean-Pierre Rampal with Ravi Shankar, also in quad.) These ones aren't bad, even if Menuhin is a little stiff. Hard to go wrong with standards, and Grappelli swings enough for two. They do kind of look like brothers from different mothers, though, don't they?

View attachment 72649 View attachment 72650
:unsure: I'll have to have a look through my late father's LPs in the morning, I'm sure he had a Menuhin/Grappelli LP, maybe its one of those two. I went with my father and youngest brother to see Stephan Grappelli (not long before he passed away), he was helped on stage and we though oh dear this isn't going to be good. He sat down was handed his violin and it was magical! He was also a great pianist as he did a few numbers.

View attachment 72649 View attachment 72650

I do have the [frankly, problematic] old ANGEL~EMI SQ Vinyl Quads of LOVE these albums. Too bad, Warner, who now owns the EMI Classical Masters has not seen fit to give them proper multi~CH QUAD SACD releases. If at some point they do release them in Japan as Stereo SACDs, they should retain the SQ encoding since they were single inventory releases back in the day. BTW, by problematic pressings ... ticks 'n pops GALORE!

Back