Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yehudi Menuhin & Stéphane Grappelli, Fascinatin' Rhythm (1975) and Tea for Two (1978), both in SurroundMaster transfers from SQ LP. Remember when these classical-meets-X team-ups were a thing? (Somewhere I have another of Menuhin and Jean-Pierre Rampal with Ravi Shankar, also in quad.) These ones aren't bad, even if Menuhin is a little stiff. Hard to go wrong with standards, and Grappelli swings enough for two. They do kind of look like brothers from different mothers, though, don't they?

View attachment 72649 View attachment 72650

weirdly, the first of those two SQ LPs of that pairing, "Fascinatin' Rhythm”, decodes into much more 'Quaddy' Quad than the later album and its an absolute belter to boot! really would love to hear it discrete! not so fussed about the 2nd album tbh, though the very timid to the point of non-existent Quad mix may be an influencing factor..

I do have the [frankly, problematic] old ANGEL~EMI SQ Vinyl Quads of LOVE these albums. Too bad, Warner, who now owns the EMI Classical Masters has not seen fit to give them proper multi~CH QUAD SACD releases. If at some point they do release them in Japan as Stereo SACDs, they should retain the SQ encoding since they were single inventory releases back in the day. BTW, by problematic pressings ... ticks 'n pops GALORE!

you need to pick up the EMI UK SQ pressings Ralphie, copies in good shape are plentiful and for relative pennies! 👍 🤗 i

Jimmy McGriff & Groove Holmes, Come Together (1974, in a conversion from quad reel). "Licks-a-Plenty": no foolin'! A fabulous mix (with dueling organs in stereo pairs), and a cookin' backup band that includes O'Donel Levy on guitar and the legendary Bernard "Pretty" Purdie on drums. The epitome of swingin' soul jazz.

View attachment 72648

ah, i love it when two fine men with duelling organs come together 🥰 🎹 🥰 🎹

you need to pick up the EMI UK SQ pressings Ralphie, copies in good shape are plentiful and for relative pennies! 👍 🤗 i

Thanks for the heads up, Adam, but my Sota Sapphire TT with Grace Arm and pricey cartridge [including vacuum pump] are in COLD STORAGE! Although Warner has released a few SQ encoded STEREO SACDS from the EMI catalogue, wonder why these ravishingly delightful LPs have NOT? Oh well!

s-l1600.jpg

s-l400.jpg

Thanks for the heads up, Adam, but my Sota Sapphire TT with Grace Arm and pricey cartridge [including vacuum pump] are in COLD STORAGE! Although Warner has released a few SQ encoded STEREO SACDS from the EMI catalogue, wonder why these ravishingly delightful LPs have NOT? Oh well!

the two Yehudi & Grappelli Quad albums were reissued in compilation form (along with a load of other tracks! 86 in all! 😱) by Warner in 2009

https://music.apple.com/gb/album/menuhin-grappelli-friends-in-music/698814208
i haven't tested out the remaster but it may have the SQ-encoding intact..

ps. get that vacuum pump out of cold storage and things will soon heat up! 🔥 🍆💋

Message, From Books and Dreams (1973, from an SQ-encoded CD reissue). Meh. First impression: goth-prog, proto-heavy metal, Black Sabbath wannabes. (Okay: there may be more going on than just that. Not enough to make me curious, though.)

1634432154359.png

Lee Michaels, Nice Day For Something (1973, in a conversion from a discrete source). Another one of those guys who totally flew under my radar--to the extent that if you'd asked me two days ago to name the one-hit wonder behind "Do You Know What I Mean," I couldn't have told you. Probably won't go into regular rotation, but it's nice enough down-home, slightly swampy, slightly folky, singer-songwriter roots-rock, with a good Larry Keyes mix.

1634435156728.png

Last edited:
Modern Jazz Quartet, Blues on Bach (1974, in a conversion from Q8). A decorous program that can't help being a little gimmicky. Still, it's MJQ. Really discrete mix, though the source tape has some of that oversaturation you sometimes get from Q8 (upside: no hiss or warble). And there are sleigh bells on a couple of tracks that set off my tinnitus. Wonder if there's a good, clean CD4 conversion out there...

1634450791961.png

Modern Jazz Quartet, Blues on Bach (1974, in a conversion from Q8). A decorous program that can't help being a little gimmicky. Still, it's MJQ. Really discrete mix, though the source tape has some of that oversaturation you sometimes get from Q8 (upside: no hiss or warble). And there are sleigh bells on a couple of tracks that set off my tinnitus. Wonder if there's a good, clean CD4 conversion out there...

View attachment 72658

i will fish it out and give it a go through the Marantz but the result may be more fishy than pretty! 🤗

Back