Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've just listening to...

The Beatles - Let It Be
1634827170697.png 1634827186929.png

in DTS-HD 5.1 to see what it sounded like compared to the ATMOS mix. I missed the room filling height speakers too much. ATMOS wins again for me.

Flora Purim, Stories to Tell (1974), in a really clean conversion from CD-4. George Duke on Keyboards, Earl Klugh (and, guesting on one track, Carlos Santana) on guitar, Miroslav Vitous and Ron Carter trading bass duties, and Airto (natch) on drums & percussion. Produced by the legendary Orrin Keepnews. And I think it's safe to attribute both the quad and stereo mixes to Jim Stern, who also worked on Woody Herman's Children of Lima? (@steelydave: another one for the quad engineers database?) Beautiful set.

1634843460493.png

Flora Purim, Stories to Tell (1974), in a really clean conversion from CD-4. George Duke on Keyboards, Earl Klugh (and, guesting on one track, Carlos Santana) on guitar, Miroslav Vitous and Ron Carter trading bass duties, and Airto (natch) on drums & percussion. Produced by the legendary Orrin Keepnews. And I think it's safe to attribute both the quad and stereo mixes to Jim Stern, who also worked on Woody Herman's Children of Lima? (@steelydave: another one for the quad engineers database?) Beautiful set.

I'd love to be able to attribute any of the Fantasy quad mixes to anyone definitively, but given that they were released in quad in 1976 (which puts them anywhere between 1 and 3 years after their stereo counterparts) and reused the old stereo sleeves with no modification to the text, it seems impossible to do. I've searched through Billboard as well for any mentions of Fantay's quad product, and I can't find any specific engineering info so (erring on the side of caution) they'll have to remain mysterious for now, or until such time as the master tapes are dug out of Concord's vaults.

Woo Hoo! I just got this in today...

Tetragon Project - Oracles

1634848737622.png 1634848784419.png
in ATMOS

From Tetragon Project - Oracles - Pure Audio Recordings

"The Tetragon Project is the music of the future in 3D.
It sounds like the ears can see, feel, taste….

And so the Tetragon Project sees itself as a curious musical art project that has its origins in years of intensive study of the creation and imaging of music in space.

Composer and sound visionary Stefan Zaradic had the idea to think and compose music in 3D from the very beginning..."

Ravel, Orchestral Works (including--you guessed it--"Bolero"). The Minnesota Orchestra did a couple of Ravel records on QS LP on the Vox Turnabout label back in the mid-70s; at least one of them came in a dbx version. (I briefly had one of those decoders, but never invested in a quad system.) Mobile Fidelity reissued them on SACD in the early aughts, and it took me a while to track down this one. Beautifully recorded by Marc Aubort & Joanna Nickrenz. Not hugely active rears, but more than just faint concert-hall reverb, and in any case it's nice to hear discrete r/t matrix.

1634852842525.png

Redbone, Message From a Drum (1972/1971), in a conversion from a discrete source. Another of the many bands I'm getting to know, fifty years after the fact. (Now the subject of a non-fiction graphic novel.) I like it--the mix and the music. Especially like the proggy/jazzy/worldy aspects of the music, which I wasn't expecting.

View attachment 72810

this and their other one "Witch Queen of New Orleans" would make a GREAT two-fer from DV!!!!

Steve Reich, The Desert Music and Three Movements (Chandos 5.0 SACD, 2011). Sine Nomine; Tonkünstler Orchestra under Kristjan Järvi. Instruments are carefully placed across the center and fronts; that plus ample hall reverb in the rears gives this a big, spacious soundstage. But more creative miking could have made it a really immersive recording, especially considering the novel on-stage arrangements that both pieces call for--one of which explicitly recalls Bartok's Concert for Orchestra. Still available on SACD or as a MCh download at Chandos.net.
https://www.chandos.net/products/catalogue/CHAN 5091
1634882640671.png

Back