Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Redbone, Message From a Drum (1972/1971), in a conversion from a discrete source. Another of the many bands I'm getting to know, fifty years after the fact. (Now the subject of a non-fiction graphic novel.) I like it--the mix and the music. Especially like the proggy/jazzy/worldy aspects of the music, which I wasn't expecting.

View attachment 72810

Although not Quad, there is an eerier alternate mix of Witch Queen on US Columbia's Rock Artifacts vol 1:

https://www.discogs.com/release/5094729-Various-Rock-Artifacts-Volume-1

Katatonia - The Fall Of Hearts (Bruce Soord 5.1 Mix)

Captura de pantalla 2021-10-22 a las 21.39.55.png

Helen Reddy, Free and Easy (1974), in a conversion from Q8. Worth hearing for the creepy opening cut (the radio hit "Angie Baby") alone, but the rest of the album isn't bad, either. The Pointer Sisters even show up on the corny razzle-dazzle "Showbiz." I may be misremembering, but it seems like the mix is more discrete than either of the titles on Dutton's two-fer. Rear channels are a bit loud, though maybe that's just an anomaly of the source tape.

1634936926484.png

Last edited:
I'm a lousy reviewer, I'll leave that to people that are better at it. I just ripped it and on my first listen now, all I can say is that the sound quality is pretty good, lots of low end too :rocks.
Thanks for replying quickly Jan.

Its okay, as long as it's up the normal Dream Theatre surround standard, then I'm happy to go ahead and purchase it.

Last edited:
NothingButF.jpg
Simon_LDT said:
Got mine on Thursday from Burning Shed and watched it last night. Fantastic disc with great picture quality, nice and slow editing and audio is superb. I opted for the DTS-HD 5.1 as I don't have Atmos and it sounded good. Love how most of the 2nd guitarist's work was in the rears. Vocals a bit low I found but nothing too drastic (for some reason they feature in all 3 front channels).
I've just had my 2nd listen, this time in 5.1 and I'm getting vocals in all 5 speakers, I wouldn't say vocals where mixed low though. Yesterday I listened in Atmos and it seemed (though I didn't put my ear to the speakers) that vocals where from the surrounds (not rears) and I didn't like it, which is why I thought I'd try 5.1 today, still not keen on the vocal mix.
I'm guessing that because Bruce is in the middle with the camera moving round him that his vocal is coming from the middle of the room.

Back