Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Humprof do you have the twofer cd that also has Antelope Freeway ? I had read that that one was QS encoded and they did things like set out microphones outside to capture road noise.
If you have listened to it how does it decode?

Interesting...I didn't think Antelope Freeway was actually QS-encoded, though it does "upmix" nicely with the SurroundMaster in Involve mode. Let us know if you hear a QS decode!

Humprof do you have the twofer cd that also has Antelope Freeway ? I had read that that one was QS encoded and they did things like set out microphones outside to capture road noise.
If you have listened to it how does it decode?

According to the Quadraphonic Discography, Jeffie, only the Equinox Express Elevator was QS encoded:

HOWARD ROBERTS -
Equinox Express Elevator. Impulse ASD-9299 (QS), IMPL 8004 (QS) [UK]
{The title above was released only in quad, no stereo version known}

91xRPNnhCGL._SL1500_.jpg

Linda Ronstadt with the Nelson Riddle Orchestra, What's New (1983/2002/2011)--the 2011 SACD reissue. Lush, just like you'd expect. So yeah...the purists are always suspicious of crossover projects, and granted, she's not a born torch singer. But proving herself as a jazzer is not what this is about. She grew up with the material, and she sings it like she means it, and she's got a good voice. And it's a beautiful record with a great George Massenburg mix. (A shame he only did a handful!)

1635199469369.png

Last edited:
Rufus, Rags to Rufus (1974). There's a beautifully discrete mix buried on the Q8 version of this album, but it's hard to hear it underneath all the wow and flutter of the GRT cart. Better off in this case with the QS LP, and luckily two different friends sent me two equally great sounding SurroundMaster decodes. How can anybody not love this gospelly kind of funk?

1635210478441.png

Better off in this case with the QS LP, and luckily two different friends sent me two equally great sounding SurroundMaster decodes. How can anybody not love this gospelly kind of funk?

When you're sitting in the sweet spot with all four speakers running, it's actually pretty hard to distinguish the decoded LP from the discrete 8-track. I'm not sure what it is about this mix specifically that makes it work so well, but this title is a great example of how good matrixed quad can sound.

Interesting...I didn't think Antelope Freeway was actually QS-encoded, though it does "upmix" nicely with the SurroundMaster in Involve mode. Let us know if you hear a QS decode!
FWIW I heard a good conversion of Antelope Freeway. Very convincing quad mix for a stereo album.
For some reason this stereo? album sounds good via QS even though it predates the adoption, but only slightly, of QS by ABC/Impulse/Bluesway/Command Records. Is it a "slealth" quad via DY-4D or RM .🤷‍♂️ ?

When you're sitting in the sweet spot with all four speakers running, it's actually pretty hard to distinguish the decoded LP from the discrete 8-track. I'm not sure what it is about this mix specifically that makes it work so well, but this title is a great example of how good matrixed quad can sound.

It's on my want list of QS albums , because of all the positive reviews .

I freakin love Buddy! He made me laugh when I was a child! I’ll bet you’d like this dvd. Gives me chills. And it’s quad.

I have the same quad dvd of Buddy Rich , with a slightly different cover and back.

Love the documentary showing Ken Rasek at the mixing desk for the original 1985 SQ Encode.
20211025_221440.jpg
20211025_221506.jpg

R.b2357edd1f29f75eebcf9b01e6d0d118

Jazz at the Pawnshop (1977)

Jazz at the Pawnshop is a multi-session recording made by Gert Palmcrantz on December 6–7, 1976, at Jazzpuben Stampen in Stockholm, Sweden. A pawnshop had operated on the site prior to the jazz club. Proprius Records founder Jacob Boethius produced the album and it has been issued at least five times under multiple labels and formats. The album is regarded by many audiophiles as one of the best jazz recordings of the 20th Century.

https://www.importcds.com/arne-domnerus-jazz-at-the-pawnshop-vol-1/822359377783
https://www.importcds.com/arne-domnerus-jazz-at-the-pawnshop-vol-2/822359370791

Last edited:
Dick Schory with his Percussion Pops Orchestra, Movin' On (1970), in an excellent conversion from quad reel. A distinctly pop jazz/easy listening/TV soundtrack vibe (so to speak)--but if it's good enough for Gary Burton, who's the featured guest on the album (and who did one other quad album for Ovation that same year), then it's good enough for me. Plus, when Dick Schory says "Discrete Quadraphonic," he really means it.

1635279740132.png

Franz Schubert, Arpeggione Sonata & String Quintet. Matt Haimovitz, cello and Itamar Golan, piano; Miró Quartet with Matt Haimovitz (Pentatone Oxingale Series SACD 5.0, 2016; originally released in stereo in the early aughts). The sonata is played on piano and cello (rather than fortepiano and the short-lived "arpeggione"), and for some reason the quintet has an abbreviated first movement. Good performances, just the same, and very "present" mixes (close-mic'd, "big chamber ambience" in the rears)--although I'm never sure with these Oxingale titles whether they were recorded in surround or just reprocessed. Doesn't really matter; they sound good.

https://www.pentatonemusic.com/schubert-arpeggione-sonata-haimovitz
For comparison's sake, I followed up with the Auryn Quartet's version of the quintet, with Christian Poltéra (Tacet Blu-Ray, 2014; originally released on DVD-A in 2001). The main difference, sound-wise? The super-discrete Tacet mix.
https://www.tacet.de/main/seite1.php?language=en&filename=production.php&bestnr=01105

Back