Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, listen 4-earredwonder, darling: 10000 Hz Legend is an appalling album. I don't care how discrete it is, but it just blows chunks. I wondered why I haven't played this album since its release - I play Moon Safari, The Virgin Suicides soundtrack and Talkie Walkie considerably more often. I get all excited, just like you do, when suddenly a new Atmos mix pops out onto a shiny new little silver disc. So I ordered this album, of course. And then I heard the three first songs again and suddenly had a flashback to 2001. The sound of two incredibly bored and uninspired Frenchmen, having spent all their time going to parties and doing drugs, having to put out a new album for their record company. With no new hooks or tunes or anything. Merde!

My Dear Titch:

So Sorry Air's sophomore album 10,000 Hz Legend failed to give you N🇳🇴rwegian Wood....but

One man's ceiling is another man's floor: the highest one person could aspire to may be just a starting point for a man of greater talent. But it always makes me think of the reverse...One man's floor is another man's ceiling!

In closing, I ❤ MOON, TOO!

R.1196b58982de6c089bfe0ed9e859cf3a

~👂👂👂 👂, darling

EDIT: An interesting read but be sure to read the comments at the close of the article:

https://www.stereogum.com/2149345/10-000-hz-legend-turns-20/reviews/the-anniversary/

Last edited:
Yehudi Menuhin, Ravi Shankar, and Jean-Pierre Rampal, Improvisations - West Meets East - Album 3 (1976; released in the UK as Improvisations), in a conversion from SQ LP. Just what you'd imagine. I'd rather we'd gotten Shakti in quad, but this is worth hearing once...

View attachment 73384
Love this one; I’d rather listen to this a thousand times than just the Ice Pick in the eyeball 👁 from one listen, of say…. Abba 😁

Pupster Abba for shame do you have frontal lobe damage?
Just kidding. I love them including the new album.

Did someone subject you to the Clockwork Orange treatment listening to their music?

Ennio Morricone, Soundtracks (1974), in a conversion from Italian-only CD-4. Familiar themes from some spaghetti westerns, The Battle of Algiers, and more. Hmm...who do we know with a track record reissuing important 20th-century film scores--and who has access to the Sony/BMG vaults...?

View attachment 73395

BTW, how is the mix, humprof....discrete or ambient? Yes, would make a GREAT addition to D~V's astonishing Charles Gerhardt RCA Quadradisc film series on QUAD SACD.

Fingers crossed!

Air 10,000 Hz Legend [Parlophone/2 RBCDs/1 BD~A Dolby Atmos, 5.1, Stereo] What an unexpected delight from the French electronic duo of Jean~Benet Dunckel and Nicolas Godin. The new discrete surround remix {Dolby ATMOS/5.1} by Bruce Keen & Gildas Lointier at Studio Benezéne, Paris is nothing short of SCRUMPTIOUS! Looking forward to more from this dynamic French duo...like MOON🌕SAFARI, s'il vous plait?

R.ad232cbf15f44737d1c6a5cabfac40a8
I accidentally fell in love with this album over several years without realising and I'm absolutely delighted with the surround mix.

Michael Nesmith, The Garden (1994), Dolby Surround CD. I've had this disc for a few years now without ever giving it a proper listen. And now I no longer have Dolby PLII (and I haven't sent this off to one of my SurroundMaster-owning friends for a decode). The newer Dolby Surround upmixer does a pretty nice job with it, though, even if it's not exactly what was intended. And speaking of violating authorial intentions: Nez wants us to read the accompanying novella while the ambient/cinematic instrumental music plays, but I'm afraid I only have the music on in the background. No time for the words today...

1636667126217.png

Last edited:
Krzysztof Penderecki, Horn Concerto and Violin Concerto No. 1 (Channel Classics SACD 5.0, 2010). Credit Johnny Greenwood for getting me interested in Penderecki. For the past couple of years I've been trying to track down as much work of his as I can find in surround. (So far, in addition to this disc: Symphony and Anaklasis, the St. Luke Passion, and a string trio. Still looking for Polymorphia and/or Threnody for the Victims of Hiroshima, both of which could be really powerful in Atmos, I'll bet.)
https://www.discogs.com/release/516...ovic-Robert-Kabara-Horn-Concerto-Violin-Conce
1636668251354.png

Back