Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Ray Davies Orchestra – A Tribute To Benny & The Duke​

Nice Big Band Jazz
*QS LP via PYE 4D Series in 1974

Reaffirms my hopes that the PYE LPs are legit Quads; do we know who mixed these... @steelydave?
It does seem, that in the rear channels, they favored the Rear Right a little more with discrete elements than in the Rear Left.
And is this one that Dutton Vocalion may work on in the future :unsure: I'd buy it, but this is a nice clean copy, and the SMv2 did a nice job on it.

https://www.discogs.com/release/2981739-The-Ray-Davies-Orchestra-A-Tribute-To-Benny-The-Duke
PYE A TRIBUTE TO BENNY & THE DUKE QS LP.jpg

The Ray Davies Orchestra – A Tribute To Benny & The Duke​

Nice Big Band Jazz
*QS LP via PYE 4D Series in 1974

Reaffirms my hopes that the PYE LPs are legit Quads; do we know who mixed these... @steelydave?
It does seem, that in the rear channels, they favored the Rear Right a little more with discrete elements than in the Rear Left.
And is this one that Dutton Vocalion may work on in the future :unsure: I'd buy it, but this is a nice clean copy, and the SMv2 did a nice job on it.

https://www.discogs.com/release/2981739-The-Ray-Davies-Orchestra-A-Tribute-To-Benny-The-Duke

No credit on this one, but my best guess is probably Ray Prickett, who did the vast majority of the Pye quads, including a few other Ray Davies ones. If not him, then Howard Barrow who was the other main quad mixer for Pye.

I think these Pye quads would be low-hanging fruit for D-V, but sadly it's my understanding that the discrete 4-channel masters were junked in the '80s. It's possible that some of them exist in the vaults of UMG (who own the rights now) but I think most would agree that D-V's time is probably best spent looking for more desirable titles from other labels. I also don't think that SACDs of matrix decodes of the QS masters would go over very well given the reception that the Airto & Deodato live album got, so...yeah, the old LPs and CD reissues decoded by intrepid adventurers into the quadraphonic realms like you are probably the best we're gonna get, at least for now.

No credit on this one, but my best guess is probably Ray Prickett, who did the vast majority of the Pye quads, including a few other Ray Davies ones. If not him, then Howard Barrow who was the other main quad mixer for Pye.

I think these Pye quads would be low-hanging fruit for D-V, but sadly it's my understanding that the discrete 4-channel masters were junked in the '80s. It's possible that some of them exist in the vaults of UMG (who own the rights now) but I think most would agree that D-V's time is probably best spent looking for more desirable titles from other labels. I also don't think that SACDs of matrix decodes of the QS masters would go over very well given the reception that the Airto & Deodato live album got, so...yeah, the old LPs and CD reissues decoded by intrepid adventurers into the quadraphonic realms like you are probably the best we're gonna get, at least for now.
Definitely time better spent with other titles. Now that I’ve had a proper listen to it cleaned up, it’s some pretty funny stuff actually. On to the next one.
Thanks for the info!

"Unity,
We must have unity,
United we stand,
Divided we fall...
" 🥰
“Groovin from day to day.
We gotta a very special kind of loving.
And we like it. We like it just that way because
It‘s so rare. So rare. So rare.
We care. We care. We care.
Can’t nobody ever break us up.