Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
image.jpg

Brilliant album with a brilliant mix by Steven Wilson

wOw! This is AMAZING through the SM v.2! I would love, Love, LOVE to see Michael J. Dutton work his magic on this one! Maybe a twofer . . . ?
View attachment 87993 Larry Coryell - Offering Album Reviews, Songs & More | AllMusic
https://www.discogs.com/release/1966390-Larry-Coryell-Offering
not sure who controls the Vanguard catalogue now? if it's Concord, forget it, they'll never licence any of it to anyone ever! 😂

tbh i'd heard mutterings over the years that the Coryell Quad masters were missing but things change over time and people get stuff wrong, then as now, etc..

also fwiw and just as an example, the 1st Coryell Eleventh House Vanguard album was re-released several times in Europe on CD on different labels (all sounded crap compared to the Quad LP) so ownership here may be sketchy and difficult for Mr. Dutton to acquire, idk?

Last edited:
I'm guessing here's another Quadraphonic LP i'll only hear through the SM v.2! Glad i have the opportunity!
View attachment 87999
8.13 on our poll
thread
Stop! just stop now! don’t you know if you carry on this way you’ll go blind and your wank will fall off!

All you need is a CD-4 Demodulator, like a 50 year old Marantz in pristine condition and maybe a different cart; and they’ll reveal their true glory. Too bad @chucky3042 is Chicken shit and dragging his feat on a Demod.; I could really use one in this massive resurgence of CD-4! :)

Stop! just stop now! don’t you know if you carry on this way you’ll go blind and your wank will fall off!

All you need is a CD-4 Demodulator, like a 50 year old Marantz in pristine condition and maybe a different cart; and they’ll reveal their true glory. Too bad @chucky3042 is Chicken shit and dragging his feat on a Demod.; I could really use one in this massive resurgence of CD-4! :)
As long as my ears don't fall off, i think i'm all good! My cartridge is an Audio-Technica VM540ML/H. You think i need something else for CD-4s? Yikes! I hope i'm not damaging the CD-4s! Hmm :unsure: now you have me wondering how much better these will sound through a demodulator! Dammit! Until then, they really do sound pretty good! Is there quite the difference when you play your CD-4s through your SM vs your Demodulator? Thanks for all you guidance and wisdom. And thanks for looking out for my wank! Peace!

Last edited:
As long as my ears don't fall off, i think i'm all good! My cartridge is an Audio-Technica VM540ML/H. You think i need something else for CD-4s? Yikes! I hope i'm not damaging the CD-4s! Hmm :unsure: now you have me wondering how much better these will sound through a demodulator! Dammit! Until then, they really do sound pretty good! Is there quite the difference when you play your CD-4s through your SM vs your Demodulator? Peace!
Best to remain discreet about that; but CD-4 is a strong discrete system 💪, not a messy Miss Millie Matrix!
-Millie is an Anglicized first name and nickname translating to “gentle strength”

Given the questions above, I was thinking about amending the title of this thread to 'Listening to Now in Surround (Discs and Downloads)' to make its purpose a little more clear, and also get rid of the 'Volume 2' which is a reference to the original thread which was closed due to a post limitation in a really old version of the forum software many years ago.

Anyone got any thoughts positive or negative about this change?

Given the questions above, I was thinking about amending the title of this thread to 'Listening to Now in Surround (Discs and Downloads)' to make its purpose a little more clear, and also get rid of the 'Volume 2' which is a reference to the original thread which was closed due to a post limitation in a really old version of the forum software many years ago.

Can you add analog Quad into the title somehow? When I see "Discs", I think digital.

I agree.

This thread is to be dedicated to the "purchased and owning a copy on any medium". As @J. PUPSTER says, that would include analogue (vinyl, tapes) and digital (Optical Discs and downloads).

'Listening to Now in Surround (Vinyl, Tapes, Discs and Downloads)' would cover all media supports?

The other thread name (streamed Atmos/Tidal/Apple) is to be dedicated to the "subscribed and not owning a copy". That other thread name could evolve in future as other formats besides Atmos (360RA??) and more streaming providers appear.

There should be other threads (as they already are) to diferentiate the "Listening upmixed stereo", with AVR upmixers, Involve SM, etc...

Back