Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As far as we know, these are not simple upmixes. Dolby contracted a bunch of engineers and had them mix a couple thousand tracks in Atmos, which explains the scattershot approach to the back catalog (5 Queen songs, misc Motown, a couple Doors songs, just Rocketman from Elton John, and so on and so forth). Tidal actually lets you check on the mixing engineer on a lot of tracks if you're curious.

The Atmos tracks on Tidal are way too quiet, which has been a problem since the beginning, but that is a Tidal problem, not an Atmos problem.

The Future Bits and Abbey Road tracks on Apple Music are the same mixes as the Blu-rays, just at lower bitrates. This bothers some people a lot, others not so much. I echo everything Beerking said a couple posts up. In the long-term I think this is a good thing for the survival of surround formats and enjoy sampling a lot of surround music that I never would have tried before.
I do like that it increases awareness of the format, for sure. I guess the lower bitrate and the volume issues were much more noticeable to me. Mostly, almost everything sounded compressed and tinny. I haven't tried Apple yet, but I'll give it a trial later on. Definitely not impressed with Tidal.

anybody see this Silk Sonic new song 777 in Atmos?
(can't tell from my Win. 10 computer :rolleyes:)

777.jpg

Listening to a trio of Rick James songs. Wow the mixes on these are freaking superb! Nice way to get Saturday evening groovin' :smokin

Super Freak -
Tidal - https://tidal.com/browse/track/193937881
Apple Music - Super Freak by Rick James

Give It To Me Baby -
Tidal - https://tidal.com/browse/track/197385638
Apple Music - Give It To Me Baby (Single Version) by Rick James

Mary Jane -
Tidal - https://tidal.com/browse/track/190299483
Apple Music - Can't find this song on Apple Music. It should be there somewhere but the stupid search function can't find it in Atmos...

1280x1280-10.jpg

Credited Dustin Richardson... (this is why I think the James Brown Super Bad song has a bus error on the vocal, because Dustin has mixed so brilliantly here.)

Listening to a trio of Rick James songs. Wow the mixes on these are freaking superb! Nice way to get Saturday evening groovin' :smokin

Super Freak -
Tidal - https://tidal.com/browse/track/193937881
Apple Music - Super Freak by Rick James

Give It To Me Baby -
Tidal - https://tidal.com/browse/track/197385638
Apple Music - Give It To Me Baby (Single Version) by Rick James

Mary Jane -
Tidal - https://tidal.com/browse/track/190299483
Apple Music - Can't find this song on Apple Music. It should be there somewhere but the stupid search function can't find it in Atmos...

View attachment 74121

Credited Dustin Richardson... (this is why I think the James Brown Super Bad song has a bus error on the vocal, because Dustin has mixed so brilliantly here.)

yummy discoveries!! the mixes are superb!! 😋😍

fwiw i couldn't find Mary Jane in Atmos on Apple Music either and i tried about 867 different versions (give or take 863)!

ahh.. curious and curiouser.. 🤔
did mixmaster Dustin also do that Rufus track in Atmos with the lead vocals similarly weirdly in the Rears? 🧐

ahh.. curious and curiouser.. 🤔
did mixmaster Dustin also do that Rufus track in Atmos with the lead vocals similarly weirdly in the Rears? 🧐
oops sorry that's my my Super Bad! 🤭 Dustin is credited to the Rufus 'front to back' track, and Mills Logan is on the credits for the James Brown 'front to back' track... Makes me think it's even more of an error sounding so weird but from different mixers. I like interesting mixes but the main vocal should be at the front... Maybe Phats & Small had just been in the studio prior?! 😀

oops sorry that's my my Super Bad! 🤭 Dustin is credited to the Rufus 'front to back' track, and Mills Logan is on the credits for the James Brown 'front to back' track... Makes me think it's even more of an error sounding so weird but from different mixers. I like interesting mixes but the main vocal should be at the front... Maybe Phats & Small had just been in the studio prior?! 😀

maybe from those goofy Atmos mixes to the 360 channelmalassignments (!) its a wider problem than first thought!? 🤔

The Beach Boys - The Beach Boys' Christmas Album 🎅🎄

View attachment 74054

Apple Music - The Beach Boys' Christmas Album
Tidal - The Beach Boys' Christmas Album

This sounds pretty good! A lot better then I was expecting for an album from 1964. Hopefully a precursor to a full on Pet Sounds Atmos remix?!

Is it just me or does this sound very similar to the Pet Sounds mix? Super rear heavy, 75% of the sound is coming from behind, including almost all of the singing... Enjoying it immensely, as I do Pet Sounds, but since the latter is considered completely botched by almost everyone I find it strange.

Is there any way to get Atmos for Apple Music is you don't have any Apple devices? Currently have a PC and a SHIELD and have no intention of moving to Apple, but would like to trial their music service.

Is there any way to get Atmos for Apple Music is you don't have any Apple devices? Currently have a PC and a SHIELD and have no intention of moving to Apple, but would like to trial their music service.

I don't think so. Basically right now you have to use a device that can connect to your receiver via HDMI in order to play music in surround sound. I'm using the Fire stick for Tidal. There are ways to stream Apple music to a Fire stick via an Alexa skill, but I'm not sure if that works with Atmos and sounds like too much work anyway. If you're set on Apple Music get their device. A quick google search shows the Shield can play Atmos music on Tidal. I'd go with that.

I don't think so. Basically right now you have to use a device that can connect to your receiver via HDMI in order to play music in surround sound. I'm using the Fire stick for Tidal. There are ways to stream Apple music to a Fire stick via an Alexa skill, but I'm not sure if that works with Atmos and sounds like too much work anyway. If you're set on Apple Music get their device. A quick google search shows the Shield can play Atmos music on Tidal. I'd go with that.
Yeah I've used it with Tidal. Experience was kind of poor. There were a few things that I only found on Apple that I wanted to try out. Oh well.

Back