Listening to this surround UPMIX

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, Yes and Time and a Word. Eye of Horus made a good run at these back in the day, using the 2009 Japanese SHM-CD remasters as his source. They came out well (the latter with more consistently "discrete" results than the former), but it seems hard to get more than a spacious double-stereo out of the debut album, in particular. I think Holland123 managed to tease out just a little more separation (or at least the psychoacoustical impression of separation!)--plus, he worked in lossless MLP rather than DTS-WAV.

1637177624304.png
1637178181820.png

Last edited:
Been working on this one for over 2 weeks now, and I'm still Jazzed about it, just a great rock album (thank you @GOS for the LP rip.)

I would urge anyone who likes Styx music (and there are some here who don't apparently :() to give this title a try either through Up-mix, Surround Master, DPLII etc., as you wont be disappointed I assure you!

I'd done it before in 4.1, but wanted a little more punch out of it and a dedicated center, so I did a new 5.1.

This would absolutely be a killer authentic surround title if done up correctly.

Saw these guys open for ZZ Top back in 1977 and it was a great show, I actually remember a lot of it -LOL.
It was on "The Grand Illusion" tour.

And as you can see from my ticket stub, I definitely got my money's worth on that evening :p

View attachment 73518
View attachment 73519
@J. PUPSTER absolutely nailed this classic album!

Yes, Progeny: Seven Shows from Seventy-Two (the seventh show--Uniondale, NY--only). SPEC, from CD. I grabbed this out of curiosity; if I really want to hear this material in surround, I'll turn to Steven Wilson. Not sure why the upmixer chose to do this particular concert rather than cobbling things together from all seven and reproducing the "Excerpts" set. SPEC did a nice job with this, in any case.

1637200783110.png

Last edited:
Walter Becker, Circus Money. A great but overlooked album, co-written and produced by Larry Klein, engineered by Elliot Scheiner with Helik Hadar, and featuring some fine sidemen (Larry Goldings, Chris Potter, other members of the mid/late-aughts version of the Steely Dan Band). One of my favorite upmixes by @J. PUPSTER, who works meticulous wizardry with Penteo and Izotope RX.
https://www.discogs.com/master/334839-Walter-Becker-Circus-Money
1637618017806.png

Last edited:
Another Pupmix (4.1): Rolling Stones, Sticky Fingers (my favorite Stones album after Exile). Done with Penteo, sourced from SACD. Judging by the Atmos let-downs we've had from the Stones so far, this is gonna be way better than any legitimate surround remix we might ever expect of this album...

1637622345395.png

Last edited:
Another (pretty amazing) one, done with Penteo and Isotope Imager and a lot of clever and artful shifting and rebalancing: Focus (1961) by Stan Getz, with orchestral arrangements by Eddie Sauter. Sometimes that overused adjective "numinous" is just the only one that fits. This is like you're sitting in the middle of a really lush orchestra, with Getz's sax front & center. If you like Jonny Greenwood's score for Phantom Thread, you'd like this. Never mind all the bossa nova stuff; in their final edition of the Penguin Guide to Jazz, Richard Cook & Brian Morton said "This was surely Getz's finest hour."

1637628540908.png

Working my way through a whole bunch of buried doggie bones. The latest to be unearthed: Prince, Welcome 2 America, His Purple Highness's posthumous release from 2010. (Penteo + Isotope RX, sourced from hi-res FLACs.) I was never devoted--or obsessive--enough to learn to properly appreciate Prince, but this is an easy album to like. Lots of catchy tunes in a variety of styles. And it offers plenty of opportunities for front-to-back/call-and-response interplay, and for cool instrumental accents to crop up playfully in isolated channels. Really nice.

1637631271953.png

Last edited:
Following up the Pup's unbeatable take on Joni Mitchell's For the Roses with another excellent Penteo+ production from another (anonymous) QQ upmixer: JT's Mud Slide Slim and the Blue Horizon. (Looking forward to hearing these two together when my copy of Archives, Vol. 2 arrives this week...)

1637644791013.png
1637644847507.png

Walter Becker, Circus Money. A great but overlooked album, co-written and produced by Larry Klein, engineered by Elliot Scheiner with Helik Hadar, and featuring some fine sidemen (Larry Goldings, Chris Potter, other members of the mid/late-aughts version of the Steely Dan Band). One of my favorite upmixes by @J. PUPSTER, who works meticulous wizardry with Penteo and Izotope RX.
https://www.discogs.com/master/334839-Walter-Becker-Circus-Money
View attachment 73793
This one is truly amazing!

Working my way through a whole bunch of buried doggie bones. The latest to be unearthed: Prince, Welcome 2 America, His Purple Highness's posthumous release from 2010. (Penteo + Isotope RX, sourced from hi-res FLACs.) I was never devoted--or obsessive--enough to learn to properly appreciate Prince, but this is an easy album to like. Lots of catchy tunes in a variety of styles. And it offers plenty of opportunities for front-to-back/call-and-response interplay, and for cool instrumental accents to crop up playfully in isolated channels. Really nice.

View attachment 73800
My wife introduced me to his music years ago when we first met! Bought this from Japan and we listened to it last weekend. So damn good!

Trying to clean out the doghouse today (I'm getting close). Jóhann Jóhannsson's score for Arrival, Herbie Hancock's Man-Child, Grace Jones's Warm Leatherette, Daft Punk's Random Access Memories. No matter whether the source material is Afrofuturist, Hearts-of-Nordic-Space, Cyborgian Techno-Nostalgia, or whatever cosmic genre Grace Jones inhabits, these Penteo-based Pupmixes are all out of this world.

Back