Listening to this surround UPMIX, up-remix, or remix

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well, I was wondering whether to post it here or in the Surround thread....
MDctOTcxOS5qcGVn.jpeg

Trying a few new things with this up-mix today. Penteo & RX-8 stem extraction.
This is derived from the 2011 Japanese SHM SACD.

First was a Penteo 4.1 up-mix with silent center. Then I extracted the percussion that was thrown into the Right Rear and moved to the Front Right (where it resides in the stereo mix), then inverted the isolated percussion and removed from the Right Rear. Then isolated the flute solo (Left Rear) and moved it to the Center. From the isolated Flute solo I created some faint reverb from it to mix back into the Left Rear for some ambience/sense of space. Also had created a Bass extraction from the fronts and moved to the Center. Reduced some of the Bass out of the Fronts. This puts the Bass and Percussion (drums) up front, leaving mostly the Horns separated out in the Rears respectively. The piano solo remained mostly across the fronts. Not perfect by any standards, but interesting non the less.

Stolen Moments Up-mix 5.1.jpg

Crazy that it's been 10 years this month since release of this album.
And a crime it wasn't released in surround;, but it turned into a great Up-mix/demix/remix project using Qobuz 24x88.2 files.

View attachment 84485
I am familiar with that most excellent upmix!

And you beat me to the punch: released October 16, 2012. Supposedly Fagen is putting finishing touches on a new album. We'll see if it appears before the year is out.

Back