Listening to this surround UPMIX, up-remix, or remix

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got the Sky bug... I haven't listened to them for ages, but they always remind me of my Dad. They were just about the only decent band he had in his vinyl collection when I was growing up!. Have now up-mixed Sky 1 & Sky 3 from the 2018 'Studio Albums' boxset CD's - Listening to 1 now - lots of good stuff in the rears.

One of the best LPs I have ever owned...I LOVE this one...so sad he left the building after this....
Lowell George- "Thanks I'll eat it here"
These are one of those records ALL of you should listen to at least once in your lifetime....you will not regret it

View attachment 10265

Just tried this one... I haven't heard it before, but it does upmix well (DTS Neural)

Fleetwood Mac's Tango In The Night done for me by a member utilizing the Tate II. (You know who you are. ;)) Absolutely fantastic and remarkably discrete. A real windfall since we are unlikely to get a 5.1 remix supposedly due to missing multis.

I just did Axis : Bold As Love from the 2018 AP SACD through DTS Neural and the first track (Exp) is incredible!!! Really clear 360 panning going clockwise around the room with pinpoint accuracy... Absolutely fantastic! I've have a copy of an up-mix of this done by someone else (although I'm not sure who) and on that version, the sound bounces from front left to rear right, but does not pan anywhere near as smoothly as it does from this SACD source

Following up on Axis, I am now doing Are You Experienced? (DTS Neural as usual) from a Japanese BlusSpec CD (SICP 30001) and getting some really interesting and quite strange results:

1) Foxy Lady - The main vocal is almost perfectly isolated in the rear speakers (although they are still also audible in the front)
2) Manic Depression - Mostly guitar in the rears - vocals and drums quite quiet. When the solo kicks in, it is almost alone in the rears
3) Red House - Virtually no action in the rears at all, then suddenly at 3:19 some muffled guitars for about 10 seconds
4/5) Can you see me / Love Or Confusion - Again, mostly vocals in the rears, plus some guitar & drums
6) I Don't Live Today - Main vocal isolated in the rears like Foxy Lady, and some very discreet guitar overdubs
7) May This Be Love - Rears have no vocals, but quite discreet bass guitar and drums with occasional guitar overdubs and the guitar solo at 1:59
8) Fire - Rears is almost exclusively guitars and backing vocals
9) 3rd Stone From The Sun - Discreet swirling wind effects and the deep spoken vocals clearly isolated
10/11) Remember / Are You Experienced? - Similar mix in the rears to Manic Depression

Has anyone else tried this through other processes with different/similar results?

Fleetwood Mac's Tango In The Night done for me by a member utilizing the Tate II. (You know who you are. ;)) Absolutely fantastic and remarkably discrete. A real windfall since we are unlikely to get a 5.1 remix supposedly due to missing multis.

Tango's also superb through the Surround Master fwiw 👍

Unmistakably Lou : Lou Rawls

here's one from Philadelphia International that was slated for SQ Quad LP release but by 1977 its chances were slim and ultimately it never made it.
mercifully the old WLP's nicely surround-y through Involve's gizmo (in Involve mode) 👍

D47595F6-A6AC-4281-B885-E8DE45EE2744.jpeg

Unmistakably Lou : Lou Rawls

here's one from Philadelphia International that was slated for SQ Quad LP release but by 1977 its chances were slim and ultimately it never made it.
mercifully the old WLP's nicely surround-y through Involve's gizmo (in Involve mode) 👍

View attachment 48776
Ahh, I bet Lou makes some Unmistakably Quadlicious and throaty platter patter!:smokin

Back