Listening to this surround UPMIX

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 47146

Been working with this one in Penteo from the HDTracks 24/96 flac files. This is a good example why I don't always like to do batch up-mixing. Each song seems to react differently to the processing, and then additional work is required in a DAW afterward for balance etc. But it does upmix extremely well. Looking forward to the day this one is done; especially the Christine McVie tune "Why" which is a real stunner IMO.
Love that album with Bob Welch.

All my up-mixes are completed using the latest Specweb 2.0a2 version.
As I didn't go for the Penteo offer at the end of last year.
To my ears, the results ain't too bad, but it's true that the quality of what goes in, determines what comes out.

Just up-mixed this one:
Queen-Sheer Heart Attack (always one of my favourite Queen Albums)

Been working with this one in Penteo from the HDTracks 24/96 flac files. This is a good example why I don't always like to do batch up-mixing. Each song seems to react differently to the processing, and then additional work is required in a DAW afterward for balance etc. But it does upmix extremely well. Looking forward to the day this one is done; especially the Christine McVie tune "Why" which is a real stunner IMO.

Good point. I find it's best to take it song by song. I usually do a 4.1 AND a 5.1 upmix using Penteo. I then listen carefully to each result. Sometimes the best result you can get is combining or mix and matching between the two results! Of course, it works out to be a personal preference, but a 4.1 result will give you vocals in the fronts while a 5.1 mix might put most of the vocals in the center, giving you fronts with reduced vocals.

If the vocal seems to get buried in the result, you can take the 4.1 mix and patch in the center from the 5.1 mix and get an even different result. You can also try swapping the rears between the mixes as well. Something to think about...........

All my up-mixes are completed using the latest Specweb 2.0a2 version.
As I didn't go for the Penteo offer at the end of last year.
To my ears, the results ain't too bad, but it's true that the quality of what goes in, determines what comes out.

Just up-mixed this one:
Queen-Sheer Heart Attack (always one of my favourite Queen Albums)

Hands down my favorite Queen album.
How does "Tenement Funster" sound on your
up-mix ?
I love that song !

Wonderful!! :QQlove

Well, to these ears ,anyway. (y)
I did a DTS Neural upmix of Sheer Heart Attack (and all the other Queen albums) some years ago and they all separate out pretty well. The beginning of "In the lap of the gods" is really good, with the piano in the rears and guitar in the front. The big vocal crescendo pans back and forth from rears and front speakers.

I've just run Billie Eilish's album When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go through DTS Neural, and the separation is incredible...

In honor of the 25th anniversary of The Bends, I dug out DKA's SPEC upmix, sourced from a good LP rip and done as a DTS-DVD with nice graphics. Pretty good, though I gather there's only so much you can do with a loud, dense stereo mix with a relatively narrow soundfield. Would love to hear if anyone has had more success with other platforms/techniques.

https://blog.discogs.com/en/once-upon-a-time-critics-didnt-get-the-bends/
https://consequenceofsound.net/2020/03/classic-album-review-radiohead-the-bends/
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/radioheads-the-bends-trivia-962378/

Last night: Pretzel Logic. One a Tate ll upmix. The other a Penteo upmix. They are remarkably similar. Probably would need to A/B them in detail to note any differences. Any major dude will tell you this.
You may already be aware, but Pretzel Logic was released in QS. Oxford Dickie did a decode of this using his scripts some years ago. It would be interesting to compare your upmixing to his decode. What source were you upmixing from? If it was the matrix version rather than standard stereo then the results may vary. I use DTD neural for my upmixing, but haven't tried comparing results from stereo vs matrix sources.

In honor of the 25th anniversary of The Bends, I dug out DKA's SPEC upmix, sourced from a good LP rip and done as a DTS-DVD with nice graphics. Pretty good, though I gather there's only so much you can do with a loud, dense stereo mix with a relatively narrow soundfield. Would love to hear if anyone has had more success with other platforms/techniques.

https://blog.discogs.com/en/once-upon-a-time-critics-didnt-get-the-bends/
https://consequenceofsound.net/2020/03/classic-album-review-radiohead-the-bends/
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/radioheads-the-bends-trivia-962378/
I just grabbed a copy of DKA's SPEC upmix to compare to my own DTS Neural one and, while the separation is similar (although slightly better using DTS IMHO) the sound quality is far and away better with DTS. As an example, attached are two 20 second samples of the rears for track 11 (Sulk) - (Also available here via Dropbox: Radiohead Sulk - Spec Vs DTS Neural). The notorious SPEC swish is very audible (the main reason why I do not like/use SpecWEB). Also the base guitar line which comes in about 15 seconds in is there in DKA's upmix, but not in mine - so the separation is not quite the same. I have also noticed other tracks where the DTS Neural process is more discreet. For my own upmixes, I always do 4.1 rather than 5.1 as I personaly prefer little/no centre speaker unless it is properly discreet - i.e. isolated vocals, which I don't think you can really get using upmixing techniques. I've only ever made them for my own listening pleasure (I have done over 250...), but would very much like to get some opinions/feedback if anyone is interested in hearing some.

Attachments

• Radiohead - Sulk (DKA Spec Rears).flac
    4.1 MB · Views: 270
  • Radiohead - Sulk (DTS Neural Rears).flac
    4.2 MB · Views: 261
Back