Listening to this surround UPMIX

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A certain QQ elder statesman did a really nice Penteo-based 5.1 upmix of Cosmo's Factory by CCR...

1637733693835.png

Listening to an amazing upmix of Mccartney's Flaming Pie. Absolutely adore this album, and this upmix is just amazing. If I didn't know, it would probably have taken me a few listened to figure out it's not an upmix. No idea how it was done or who did it. Complete separation with backing vocals in the back and stuff like that. So much fun.

experimental

Attachments

• art squad quad 1 5x5.png
    art squad quad 1 5x5.png
    605.5 KB · Views: 66
  • CONTRAST 1 QUAD 5X5.png
    CONTRAST 1 QUAD 5X5.png
    429.6 KB · Views: 50
  • CONTRAST 3 QUAD 5X5.png
    CONTRAST 3 QUAD 5X5.png
    512.9 KB · Views: 57
  • CONTRAST 2 QUAD 5X5.png
    CONTRAST 2 QUAD 5X5.png
    432.1 KB · Views: 58
Public posts soliciting, offering, trading, or linking to illegal downloads of copyrighted music is against forum regulations.

We've had to delete numerous posts in this thread as a result of this - consider it fair warning, as further infringements will be dealt with through more harsh measures including removal of posting privileges and/or temporary or permanent bans.

By all means, continue sharing what you're working on, what you're listening to and everything related to that, but please respect the rules we've laid down here.

Some might think this belongs in a different thread, but I think there are enough (too many?) "Listening" threads already, so I'm putting it here.

In the last couple of weeks I've become a total convert to the new "Dolby Surround" (a/k/a Dolby Surround Upmixer, a/k/a Atmos upmixer) DSP on my Marantz SR6014, ever since I was reminded that by popular demand, Dolby had restored its "center spread" function after removing it for a few months. It's gotten to the point where I pretty much don't listen to anything in stereo anymore. The DSU's algorithms are brilliant: they do an especially fine job on classical chamber music and acoustic small-group jazz, but I've been impressed by what they can do with some orchestral and large-group stuff, too. This afternoon I put on Vietnamese-French guitarist Nguyên Lê's Celebrating the Dark Side of the Moon (DSOTM arranged for jazz orchestra, namely the NDR Big Band under Michael Gibbs), and I was just blown away: the opening minutes of "Speak to Me" really do sound like they were mixed--thoughtfully, imaginatively, dramatically--for Atmos. I haven't thrown a lot of pop/rock (or any 5.1) at it yet, but I have high hopes, especially for anything with electronic textures, which the DSU also seems to like.
https://www.challengerecords.com/products/1408370169

Last edited:
In the last couple of weeks I've become a total convert to the new "Dolby Surround" (a/k/a Dolby Surround Upmixer, a/k/a Atmos upmixer) DSP on my Marantz SR6014, ever since I was reminded that by popular demand, Dolby had restored its "center spread" function after removing it for a few months. It's gotten to the point where I pretty much don't listen to anything in stereo anymore. The DSU's algorithms are brilliant: they do an especially fine job on classical chamber music and acoustic small-group jazz, but I've been impressed by what they can do with some orchestral and large-group stuff, too.

I also like "Dolby Surround" in my Marantz SR7013 for upmixing. It too has the "center spread" function. I've used it successfully to upmix to 11.1 channel surround with classical music as you have done. I also like Auro 3D especially given that it is adjustable. I wish that Dolby Surround had some adjustment capability, perhaps for the center spread. The real key is not to be constantly flipping between Dolby Surround, Auro 3D and SM Involve and just enjoy the music. (I know...that's not possible when a man has a remote in his hand. :cool:)

More fun with the Dolby Surround Upmixer, this time with contemporary big band music. Both of these albums were recorded and mixed in such a way that the DSU just goes to town on 'em, making you feel like you're on stage in the middle of the orchestra. Miho Hazama and the m_unit (a jazz orchestra with vibes and strings), Journey to Journey (2013), and the Scottish National Jazz Orchestra, American Adventure (2014), on which the SNJO is joined by a whole bunch of Yank ringers (like Dave Liebman, Randy Brecker, Kurt Elling, and Donny McCaslin).
https://mihohazama.bandcamp.com/album/journey-to-journeyhttps://snjo.co.uk/shop/american-adventure

Last edited:
Scott DuBois, Autumn Wind (2017). Guitar-reeds-bass-drum quartet, augmented by string or wind quartet on some tracks.

Close-mic'd (including the drums), but with lots of (tasteful) reverb, too. Dreamy, abstract, often very tuneful soundscapes. Through the DSU, it comes out totally immersive and atmospheric. Occasionally reminiscent of Bill Frisell. (Bassist Thomas Morgan has spent a number of years developing an almost telepathic relationship with Frisell, as it happens.)
https://scottdubois1.bandcamp.com/album/autumn-windhttps://www.popmatters.com/scott-dubois-autumn-wind-2508494266.html

Back