HiRez Poll Little Feat - KICKIN' IT AT THE BARN [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Little Feat - KICKIN' IT IN AT THE BARN

• 10: Great Fidelity, Great Surround Mix, Great Content

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Fidelity, Poor Surround Mix, Poor Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Released in 2004 on "Hot Tomato", please post your thoughts and comments on this HiRez 5.1 Surround release.

Attachments

• Little Feat Front.jpg
    Little Feat Front.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 140
  • Little Feat Back.jpg
    Little Feat Back.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 144
I think this album falls into the category of "coulda been, shoulda been." The songs are good - it's an enjoyable listen, tune-wise. Unfortunately the surround mix sucks. Nearly total ambience in the rears. For 99% of the time the surround experience does not happen.

I must confess I don't listen to surround all that often, therefore my experience is somewhat limited.

Others here will be better able to differentiate a "good" surround mix from a "bad" one.
Are active surrounds preferable to a more ambient approach? I certainly don't know.
A matter of opinion maybe?.....and a subject for another place and time.

With that in mind all I can say is that I really enjoyed this one from a music, sound quality and surround standpoint.
That's why I asked Jon to add it to the poll.

I'm giving it a 7

Musicially, it's enjoyable and a cut above mediocre, I'd say. Sonically, it's nothing special. But it's not bad. I agree with the other comments re: 5.1, however. Pretty slim use of the format.

I'm more of a Lowell George-era fan of Little Feat, but "Kickin'..." boasts several great tunes and some fine, tight jamming.

Fidelity is also quite good in hi-res, but as others have commented not much here in the way of surround -- for the most part ambient echo in the rears.

Still, sounds really fine when cranked up. I say 4 for the surround and 9 for the music, 8 overall.

Back