"Little Richard" Penniman Dead at 87

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Watched a Bowie doc last night, LR mentioned as a huge influence. Didn't have a clue...

Attachments

• 90368b25ef014f0d6dab681d0c6fc30c.jpg
    90368b25ef014f0d6dab681d0c6fc30c.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 298
There are a number of great artists with an abundance of talent. Then there are a few just a notch above. Little Richard fits into this special category.

An exceptional musician and fine songwriter. And his vocals were uniquely delivered with boundless energy. A showman of the first order. What a package deal within this artist.

At least I have Little Richard's recordings. From his earliest recordings (1951-53) on RCA and Peacock. Then his superb recordings throughout his astonishing period on the Specialty label. Even in the late 1960's and early 1970's he continued to cut some great sides for Reprise.

For me Little Richard's star will continue to burn ever so brightly. There is simply nobody like him in music.

Last edited:
Such an innovator and a personality. What those early R&R guys went through with all of the shitty racism they had to put up with, then having to suffer through "accepted" artists covering their songs, you really have to give them so much freaking credit for not just going nuclear. I mean, to hear Pat Boone sing "Tutti Fruiti" is so cringeworhty that it's very hard for me to even take. I don't think I've ever listened to the Boone version all the way through. Yes, I know it made Richard money and got him exposure but geez, play the real record PLEASE!

RIP Little Richard. You were an amazing talent and person.

I wish I had a screenshot.... but I still remember it well. Roughly 10-years or so ago, Little Richard was still fairly active on social media. About that time an internet rumor had started that he had died. He posted to his own Facebook that morning:

" I ain't dead yet, suckas! "

Well, that's the PG-13 version, anyway. His actual post was a little more colorful than that.

But that did get me thinkin'.... I don't think folks like him will ever die. They made such an impact and gave this world such tremendous energy, that they will live on. I mean, here we are, 65 years later talking about "Tutti Frutti". I bet if you asked anybody who sang that song, they could answer. If you told them that Pat Boone did a version, the first question would be "Who is Pat Boone?" followed by "Really?"

People who are genuinely interested in music will rediscover these artists again and again. Or, at least I hope they will. I'm a kid of the 80's.... and I discovered 50's music all on my own a long time ago. Others will to.

I do not know if rock and roll culture was different in Canada from the US in the 50s. We had (and regrettably still do) have prejudice but segregtion wasn't the same here from what I have heard. That old box of RnR 78s I played through more times than should be physically possible had about an equal amount of black and white artists (NO PAT BOONE!) and I loved them all. I did not know about racism as a kid, I just knew good music when I heard it, and Little Richard was IT. That discarded box of records from a great uncle (methinks) shaped my musical tastes and still does. I will have to ask uncle Gerry if they were his records and thank him.

I read online that Little Richard fired Jimi Hendrix from his band in 1965 for missing the tour bus to Washington DC. He said "I gotta let you go Voodoo Chile, if I don't see you again in this world, I'll see you in the next one, and DONT BE LATE ! Don't be late..."

Last edited:
Back