"Little Richard" Penniman Dead at 87

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Little Richard was laid to rest today in Huntsville, AL. It was a private ceremony.

Thanks for taking Rock 'n' Roll to another level.

RIP
AMEN.
I was thinking they might do a New Orleans "dancin in the street" type of sendoff, it would have been most appropriate.
I always liked the idea of celebrating the life's of those who have passed, specially for an exciting performer like Richard.

The last couple of months have seen the premier of two Little Richard documentaries. CNN has been hyping "Little Richard - I am Everything" and it premiered last night. It was quite good but I think the PBS American Masters "Little Richard: King and Queen of Rock 'n Roll" from June 2023 was just a little better. Highly recommended for both.

Rock&Roll has brought some wild and exciting entertainers to the stage but
Little Richard and Jerry Lee Lewis were the best. They led the way as the two craziest
dudes I've ever seen in music. Elvis may be the King of Las Vegas, but LRP and JLL are the Kings & Queen of Rock and Roll.

When I was about 13, I had learned to play Little Richard-style piano and people usually enjoyed it. There were two incidents where this didn't hold true.

One time, right before a church service, as people were arriving, some of my friends and I "congregated" in the choir practice room which was right off the balcony. My friends got me to play some of that Little Richard stuff and we all had fun. That is, until the assistant Pastor came storming into the room and informed us that the piano could be heard throughout the church and he reamed me a new one right there! Hey, how was I to know?

Much later my buddy and I went to a dance meant for students much younger than us (in another church - in the fellowship hall) and we were tolerated, for a while, even though we knew the chaperones wanted us to leave. A local band was playing and when they took a break, yup, I got on that piano and... The kids loved it but I was interrupted by somebody who asked me if I was a member of the musicians union and I said I wasn't but I wasn't getting paid.

I guess they thought that didn't matter and we got kicked out.

Doug

Back