Live Concerts with Discrete Surround

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the Dolby Atmos version of Through the Never and its a reference mix!

Listening/watching now to Metallica, Through The Never. Super great video in BD, actually it is discrete, guitars and drums heavy in the rears. Bullets, bombs, airplanes all good. But everything sounds like shit after listening to A Farewell To Kings 2017.

The good news about this thread is it reminds me of more discrete concert mixes than I could think of off the top of my head.

The bad news is all the confusion and disagreement. But that was inevitable, I guess.

I've begun to jot down notes on post-its and leave them in certain discs cases, for posterity. Can help with clearer hindsight.

FWIW, my understanding of "discrete" surround is stuff in the surrounds/rears that does NOT appear in the fronts/center. Many of us use the term if musical elements are at least dominant in the surrounds/rears. Actual musical parts from the multis, not just hall reverb or synthetic reverb or effects eminating from a stereo mix-down.

As stated previously, Steven Wilson and Elliot Scheiner live mixes are great examples of discrete live mixes.

That said, my one (surprising to me) entry for today is Rush Snakes & Arrows Live.
The edges of the drum mix wrap rearward, Alex's guitars dominate there and Neil's drum solo gets super-discrete, particularly during the electronic section.
Decent sounding show. Great separation. Highs/mids are a little crispy for my taste, but not too bad and S&A Live will remain in rotation. Since it's a Chycki/Lifeson mix, that's saying something.

Bumping this thread for @HomerJAU
And here's a relevant video. Some of my selections are audio-only, but still live.

Thanks for bumping this video. As a result, I tracked down the Allmans Fillmore East DTS today and played it through. It was like listening to this album for the first time, even though I've already heard it like 100 times in my life already (inclusive of all other released quad versions, starting with a rip of the quad reel to reel). Stellar stuff. And don't forget, for those who don't know, all Quad versions of this album have an alternate take (from an alternate night) of "You Don't Love Me".

Alice In Chains Unplugged DVD

Is there some reason I cannot find a poll of this disc?

Why is this release not at the top of the polls??

what I'm saying is, why is AIC Greatest Hits the only index on the poll index when this disc is in the top tier 10%? wtf?

Last edited:
Loggins and Messina: Sittin' In Again at the Santa Barbara Bowl. If you thought the L&M AF QUAD SACDs were good this Elliot Scheiner Recorded and mixed into DTS 5.1 DISCRETE surround DVD is simply astounding. The performances and camera work are beyond superb and for DTS (on a DVD) the picture [anamorphic widescreen] and especially the sound is one of Scheiner's CROWN JEWELS.

I paid very little for it a year ago but unfortunately, the prices are way up https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BF0DCE/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1&tag=acleint-20

From the opening note to the encore, Loggins and Messina and their absolutely stellar and versatile bandmates put on one HELLUVA F**CKING GREAT Show!

Talk about ABSOLUTE SYNCRONICITY!
Probably the best live show i ever heard.

Loggins and Messina: Sittin' In Again at the Santa Barbara Bowl. If you thought the L&M AF QUAD SACDs were good this Elliot Scheiner Recorded and mixed into DTS 5.1 DISCRETE surround DVD is simply astounding. The performances and camera work are beyond superb and for DTS (on a DVD) the picture [anamorphic widescreen] and especially the sound is one of Scheiner's CROWN JEWELS.

I paid very little for it a year ago but unfortunately, the prices are way up https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BF0DCE/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1&tag=acleint-20

From the opening note to the encore, Loggins and Messina and their absolutely stellar and versatile bandmates put on one HELLUVA F**CKING GREAT Show!

Talk about ABSOLUTE SYNCRONICITY!
I totally agree! One of the best concerts in surround sound I have ever experienced. Highly recommended.

Is there some reason I cannot find a poll of this disc?

Why is this release not at the top of the polls??

what I'm saying is, why is AIC Greatest Hits the only index on the poll index when this disc is in the top tier 10%? wtf?
I dunno. Is this a hot album on Cygnus X -1? Maybe you can get a recount.

I should get a pizza & listen to it I guess.

Last edited:
I recently play tested the sound track from Rob Reed's soon-to-be-released live album "Sanctuary Live at Real World" where he and a specially created band perform the whole of Sanctuary 1 and 2 at Peter Gabriel's Real World studio. I was lucky enough to be at the gig too. It was a flawless performance and the live recording is very, very impressive.

He's also done a fully discrete 5.1 mix of the recording which will be available on DTS on the DVD-V when it's released. 🍌 He described it to me as "a bit rough and ready" but in my view it was right up there with the best few live 5.1 discrete mixes.

BTW anyone in the UK may be interested to know that Rob's getting the band together for another live performance of Sanctuary 1 and 2 at the Parabola Arts Centre in Cheltenham on June 3rd and I think there are a few tickets still available.

Does this then have a dts 5.1 surround on it as can't tell from description?

https://www.tigermothshop.co.uk/store/Robert-Reed-Sanctuary-Live-at-Real-World-DVD-CD-p199567403
Anyone have this as I am thinking of ordering if it's as good as Rob Reed's other stuff.

Does this then have a dts 5.1 surround on it as can't tell from description?

https://www.tigermothshop.co.uk/store/Robert-Reed-Sanctuary-Live-at-Real-World-DVD-CD-p199567403
Anyone have this as I am thinking of ordering if it's as good as Rob Reed's other stuff.
Yes it has 5.1 DTS mix and is really good

image.jpg

Neil, thanks so much.
I am really looking forward to this and the Cyan preorder.
You'll like the Cyan release too! On balance I prefer it to "For King and Country" - I think the songs/lyrics are better, and the new band, who were great on "For King..." sound even more cohesive and tight on the new one.

Back