"Live" Quad Performances

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raggal62

I really enjoy kicking back and cranking these 3 "Live" quadraphonic recordings:

Santana - Lotus
Mike Oldfield - Exposed
Mountain - Twin Peaks

Can any members suggest other's in this catagory?

Rick Wakeman - Journey to the center of the earth Q8
ELP - Welcome back... Q8
2 of my favorite live Q8's.

Carlos Santana & Buddy Miles - Live!
The O'Jays - Live In London
Frank Sinatra - The Main Event Live
Focus - Live At The Rainbow
Aretha - Live At The Fillmore West
Marvin Gaye - Live!
Ike & Tina Turner - Live at Carnegie Hall

Does anyone have the Q8 of Isaac Hayes at the Sahara Tahoe? Love his other quad releases and wonder if this live recording stands up to them.

Hee hee, I thought this thread would be about "actual" live performances, and not recordings of them.

I had the opportunity years ago to see an Emerson Lake and Plamer Concert at the Ampitheather in Chicago. They had just come out with their Brain Salad Surgery Album.

The sound was in Quadraphonic Sound, with humungous stacks of JBL Monitors, and Sectional Horns in all four corners of the Ampitheather. Something like 2 Million dollars in speakers alone.

It was an awesome concert, and the large venue really was something with the sound shifting back, and forth, and going round, and round.

That was Karn Evil #9 in "real quad"! I remember coming home that evening, and played my "quad" system, which consisted of two Mac Amps, a Bose Quad Pre-Amp, and four JBL L-65 Speakers, for a short period. It was like listening to a little transistor radio. They're still on my top fav list of vintage rock groups. Mark

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the Mahavishnu one - bass, drums and guitar up front, with keyboard in rear left and violin in rear right and audience in stereo in the rears. It's nice having all the instruments discretely placed like this, especially in the busier parts of the album..

Anyone have the Mahavishnu live one as DTS? I'd love a copy. In trade I have ELP's Welcome Back in DTS, from the quad 8 track...but that's all I'm afraid.

I went to see Nektar perform live at the Morristown Community Theatre in NJ last night, and they had a quadraphonic sound system. The sound came from all 4 corners of the hall, and they used panning effects, including Roye Albrighton's searing guitar solos on Remember the Future and Day in the Life of a Preacher swirling all around the audience. The sound was quite active and very tastefully done. It really makes the concert experience rise to a whole other level. Oh, and the 1200 seat theater was just about full and the band played for three hours. They are playing at Bajaprog next Friday, March 10th, so any of you folks near there (like maybe in San Diego perhaps) might want to consider checking it out.

"Carlos Santana & Buddy Miles - Live!" was in Quad?! Oh man.... know of any for sale?

Discussion of Tangerine Dream live in Sydney in 1975 brought up the fact that their PA was quadraphonic

Screen Shot 2021-03-30 at 4.19.56 pm.png

TD.jpg
TDT.jpg

@watsontr

"Tangerine Dream Live In Quad" would have been this quadraphiles dream .

One group I was not aware of that played in Live Quad was THE WHO, for their Quadrophenia Tour--1973.

This from Billboard Magazine November 03 ,1973 page 06.:

"The Who's QUADROPHENIA Live Show will be amplified Quadraphonically"

I saw them at the Winnipeg Arena back in 75 or 76 . Lot's of Huge Speakers suspended from the ceiling(front stage)
but nothing in the rear of the venue.
So I suppose their 73 tour was the quad one.

Anyway I thought I'd mention this .

According to Billboard Magazine ,

The Grateful DEAD performed live in quadraphonic. Their P.A. system was set up in quadraphonic for concerts .

A very in depth and interesting article on this is found on page 44 and 52 ....November 02 ,1974.
"The Grateful Dead has the most elaborate P.A.system" .

Also same issue page 36 .....features information about live concerts. Specifically the TycoBrahe (24 in 4 out) recording mixer that the Wally Heider Remote utilized for both The Dead's last concert and The Band/Bob Dylan concerts .
(It is not mentioned if the Dylan/Band concert was in quad )

This one is a bootleg that was long reported to be QS. The Who - Decidedly Belated Response, The 1973 North American Tour.

Sadly the recording is not encoded, in fact the channel levels aren't even balanced. The record states the following information on the sleeve,
TARKL 1961 STEREO (THIS RECORDING WILL PROVIDE A QUADRAPHONIC SOUND WHEN PLAYED ON EQUIPMENT UTILIZING THE QS MATRIX DECODING SYSTEM) Thanks to JIMMY....
That statement while deceiving was not actually a total lie, as any stereo record produces Quad surround effect when played through a decoder!

If we're talking about live surround performances, how has the Floyd not been mentioned in the first post?! Arguably the grandfathers of live surround sound performance. Live shows from 1967 thru 1981 in quad surround with only a handful of early festival dates in mono or stereo. Nearly all their solo career shows after that in surround as well. They were aggressive with it in the early days! Especially pre Dark Side. Rick had his own joystick panner sitting on one of his keyboards (which you can spot in a few old videos).

This one is a bootleg that was long reported to be QS. The Who - Decidedly Belated Response, The 1973 North American Tour.

Sadly the recording is not encoded, in fact the channel levels aren't even balanced. The record states the following information on the sleeve,
TARKL 1961 STEREO (THIS RECORDING WILL PROVIDE A QUADRAPHONIC SOUND WHEN PLAYED ON EQUIPMENT UTILIZING THE QS MATRIX DECODING SYSTEM) Thanks to JIMMY....
That statement while deceiving was not actually a total lie, as any stereo record produces Quad surround effect when played through a decoder!
The broadcast of the show was in real quad.

According to Billboard Magazine ,

The Grateful DEAD performed live in quadraphonic. Their P.A. system was set up in quadraphonic for concerts .

A very in depth and interesting article on this is found on page 44 and 52 ....November 02 ,1974.
"The Grateful Dead has the most elaborate P.A.system" .

Also same issue page 36 .....features information about live concerts. Specifically the TycoBrahe (24 in 4 out) recording mixer that the Wally Heider Remote utilized for both The Dead's last concert and The Band/Bob Dylan concerts .
(It is not mentioned if the Dylan/Band concert was in quad )
I was at the Dylan/Band concert in L.A. There was no surround setup that I remember.

If we're talking about live surround performances, how has the Floyd not been mentioned in the first post?! Arguably the grandfathers of live surround sound performance. Live shows from 1967 thru 1981 in quad surround with only a handful of early festival dates in mono or stereo. Nearly all their solo career shows after that in surround as well. They were aggressive with it in the early days! Especially pre Dark Side. Rick had his own joystick panner sitting on one of his keyboards (which you can spot in a few old videos).

I agree

PINK FLOYD was the first rock group that I remember reading about that performed in Quad. I think they practically invented "LIVE QUADRAPNONIC " !
Those dates you mentioned jive. They had an engineer in the 60's(66 or 67) invent the azimuth co-ordinator for their live performances.

FWIW :Roger Waters played live in quadraphonic when I saw him at the MTS Centre in Winnipeg on his 2007 Tour.

Attachments

• 1617230053274-905157968.jpg
    1617230053274-905157968.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 180
Back