"Live" Quad Performances

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hee hee, I thought this thread would be about "actual" live performances, and not recordings of them.

I had the opportunity years ago to see an Emerson Lake and Plamer Concert at the Ampitheather in Chicago. They had just come out with their Brain Salad Surgery Album.

The sound was in Quadraphonic Sound, with humungous stacks of JBL Monitors, and Sectional Horns in all four corners of the Ampitheather. Something like 2 Million dollars in speakers alone.

It was an awesome concert, and the large venue really was something with the sound shifting back, and forth, and going round, and round.

That was Karn Evil #9 in "real quad"! I remember coming home that evening, and played my "quad" system, which consisted of two Mac Amps, a Bose Quad Pre-Amp, and four JBL L-65 Speakers, for a short period. It was like listening to a little transistor radio. They're still on my top fav list of vintage rock groups. Mark
Great tour. I want to say the original Journey opened for them; at least in California.

Wasn't expecting for you to get that heavy. :) I saw the Topographic Oceans tour, but actually really appreciated them even more in the 90s, when not only were they playing well, but the technology had caught up with them. Yep, getting old ain't for the faint of heart. Tinnitus has effected my hearing, but the new knee and hip a few years ago make me feel like a 20 year old again. Okay, not really, but I can out hustle most on the tennis and racquetball courts. Yep, I'm happy where I am right now. Lots of memories and bragging rights. :)

Didn't get to see Tales; I'm envious! "77 GFtO tour was my 1st. I also really appreciated them in the 90's and early 2000's since they were still going strong. Very grateful that my fave band was still in action and bringing the goods. But they weren't quite to the level of the 70's; Howe had lost a bit of that fire. But the magic was still there right up to the end, which for me was the last tour with Jon.

Speaking of Tinnitus, I was concerned when I had really bad ringing in my ears after seeing them at the House of Blues and being right in front of the speaker on Chris' side. The ringing lasted a while and I was afraid I'd gotten permanent damage. But while I'm sure I've lost some high end and occasionally still hear some ringing, apparently there's been no big damage.

Sorry to hear your hearing is suffering; hope it doesn't impact your musical enjoyment. Great to hear your surgerirs have rejuvenated you and your games! Keep on getting it!

It doesn't have to say quad encoded to be so. This recording is a Quad single inventory album.........
--NO SEPARATE STEREO copy.
It's a cd .
Same recording fwiw , the cd is AAD and came from the same master tape. Nowhere does it say it has been remixed.
My Santana Lotus , also AAD , says stereo not quad and sure enough it's SQ encoded.
FWIW : The AF SACD Stereo of Lotus is also SQ encoded. It's mentioned on the AF Thread .
If that's the case I spent extra money for nothing, although Japanese pressings are usually better. Lotus was a single inventory Quad but was released in Japan only, It's clearly labeled as SQ. Yes the AF release was encoded but it was soon eclipsed by the Sony Japan 7" SACD. I found the discrete Sony version to not be very satisfying as the back contains only crowd noise. The crowd appears as two separate parts left and right, nothing panned across the back.

When I get the LP I'll compare it to my "stereo" copy to see if it's different.

Last edited:
Didn't get to see Tales; I'm envious! "77 GFtO tour was my 1st. I also really appreciated them in the 90's and early 2000's since they were still going strong. Very grateful that my fave band was still in action and bringing the goods. But they weren't quite to the level of the 70's; Howe had lost a bit of that fire. But the magic was still there right up to the end, which for me was the last tour with Jon.

Speaking of Tinnitus, I was concerned when I had really bad ringing in my ears after seeing them at the House of Blues and being right in front of the speaker on Chris' side. The ringing lasted a while and I was afraid I'd gotten permanent damage. But while I'm sure I've lost some high end and occasionally still hear some ringing, apparently there's been no big damage.

Sorry to hear your hearing is suffering; hope it doesn't impact your musical enjoyment. Great to hear your surgerirs have rejuvenated you and your games! Keep on getting it!
I blame my tinnitus on Lou Reed. Loudest most distorted concert I ever went to, with maybe the exception of Led Zep Houses of the Holy tour. If I had a gun I would have shot Page half way through the bowing during his solo. It was one of the most painful experiences my ears ever had. Seriously, it was all really my fault. I should have started wearing ear plugs way sooner than I did. I've stood in front of monitors and just got pummeled. But it sure was lots of fun. I still love to listen to music, I just have a band of ringing that I have to ignore. The only negative I suppose is that I don't like total quiet. So... more loud music! It's a viscous cycle.

I wasn't a big fan of Yes in the 80's. I think after Tales I saw a stadium show (don't remember the tour) and then didn't see them again until the DTS tour. The worst part of that DTS show was Chris Squire wearing a jumpsuit with a cape. It just screamed out dirty old man/child predator. I'm not say he was, but in that suit I would never let my daughter near him. :)

I blame my tinnitus on Lou Reed. Loudest most distorted concert I ever went to, with maybe the exception of Led Zep Houses of the Holy tour. If I had a gun I would have shot Page half way through the bowing during his solo. It was one of the most painful experiences my ears ever had. Seriously, it was all really my fault. I should have started wearing ear plugs way sooner than I did. I've stood in front of monitors and just got pummeled. But it sure was lots of fun. I still love to listen to music, I just have a band of ringing that I have to ignore. The only negative I suppose is that I don't like total quiet. So... more loud music! It's a viscous cycle.

I wasn't a big fan of Yes in the 80's. I think after Tales I saw a stadium show (don't remember the tour) and then didn't see them again until the DTS tour. The worst part of that DTS show was Chris Squire wearing a jumpsuit with a cape. It just screamed out dirty old man/child predator. I'm not say he was, but in that suit I would never let my daughter near him. :)

The 80s was my least fave period of the band. I loved 90125 mainly because it meant Yes wasn't dead, but the Trevor music didn't excite me to the same level. I enjoyed that tour but skipped the BG tour; the only Yes tour I missed from my 1st in '77 to my last in '05. Not technically a Yes tour, but to me it was, I really enjoyed ABWH- was great to get to see BB with the band, even though they were missing Chris. But Tony Levin is one of my fave bassists behind Chris and it was great to see him with the band- Yes with the King Crimson rhythm section! Then the Union show was really cool. I enjoyed the Talk show, but it was once Howe got back with Jon and Chris that I really thought the band returned to it's most magical form- only slightly below the level of the 70s.

LOL on Chris' outfit giving a predator vibe. I never got that, but I was often confused by his later costume choices- whereas he was the coolest looking of the band in the 70s. How about the Dr.s outfit for TL tour. Or wearing spandex in your 60s- when you've put on a ton of weight???

Costume or no though, I doubt there's many rock stars you'd want your daughter around...

The 80s was my least fave period of the band. I loved 90125 mainly because it meant Yes wasn't dead, but the Trevor music didn't excite me to the same level. I enjoyed that tour but skipped the BG tour; the only Yes tour I missed from my 1st in '77 to my last in '05. Not technically a Yes tour, but to me it was, I really enjoyed ABWH- was great to get to see BB with the band, even though they were missing Chris. But Tony Levin is one of my fave bassists behind Chris and it was great to see him with the band- Yes with the King Crimson rhythm section! Then the Union show was really cool. I enjoyed the Talk show, but it was once Howe got back with Jon and Chris that I really thought the band returned to it's most magical form- only slightly below the level of the 70s.

LOL on Chris' outfit giving a predator vibe. I never got that, but I was often confused by his later costume choices- whereas he was the coolest looking of the band in the 70s. How about the Dr.s outfit for TL tour. Or wearing spandex in your 60s- when you've put on a ton of weight???

Costume or no though, I doubt there's many rock stars you'd want your daughter around...
Oh, so true about rock stars. Although I'm a huge Sam Phillips (did the music for Gilmore Girls) fan and had no problem introducing her to my daughter. In fact, there was a great moment when my daughter was at a local restaurant and Sam came up to her and recognized her. It was very cool. Yes, there is a long Sam Phillips story behind that. Anyways, yes, spandex in your sixties is not a good thing. Although, have you seen Fripp and Toyah's Sunday Brunch? It probably scares the crap out of 20 somethings, but she is still hot and putting it all out there! I'm a huge Tony Levin fan as well. I've seen him many times with Peter and KC and even Joan Armatrading. And I love Bruford as well. The only time I didn't think he fit a band was his live stint with Genesis. I wish I had some tapes to prove that one way or another. Those are pretty old memories. Back to Yes... Somehow I just didn't get to see them as much as I would have liked. They were such solid musicians and I loved so much of their music. I think Relayer was a really underrated album. It was, I believe, the last its kind for them. I totally missed Relayer when it came out. Not sure why. But years later I couldn't believe I had missed it.

And I love Bruford as well. The only time I didn't think he fit a band was his live stint with Genesis. I wish I had some tapes to prove that one way or another.

I think Relayer was a really underrated album. It was, I believe, the last its kind for them. I totally missed Relayer when it came out. Not sure why. But years later I couldn't believe I had missed it.

I think Bill would agree with you. They wanted him to play exactly the same thing every night and were upset when he didn't.

Relayer was wild. Don't know how you missed it's release; that was back when Yes was still flying high, very popular and shortly before what we now know as Prog became uncool.

It was the last of it's kind for Yes; the last truly progressive album for them. As much as I love GftO and esp. Awaken, it wasn't new ground. They stopped pushing the boundaries after Relayer, Still some great music, but nothing unique and new.

If that's the case I spent extra money for nothing, although Japanese pressing are usually better. Lotus was a single inventory Quad but was released in Japan only, It's clearly labeled as SQ. Yes the AF release was encoded but it was soon eclipsed by the Sony Japan 7" SACD. I found the discrete Sony version to not be very satisfying as the back contains only crowd noise. The crowd appears as two separate parts left and right, nothing
When I get the LP I'll compare it to my "stereo" copy to see if it's different.

Yeah I know . Somehow the SQ Encode of Santana Lotus sounds much better in quad than the Discrete version ......go figure

I envy you Ken.....getting that SQ quad vinyl of Mountain Twin Peaks. Always loved those rare Sony SQ vinyl lps .
They're always a far superior lp pressing than most of the other Country's vinyl pressings.
I'm sure you'll be pleased. I know I would be.

I really enjoy kicking back and cranking these 3 "Live" quadraphonic recordings:

Santana - Lotus
Mike Oldfield - Exposed
Mountain - Twin Peaks

Can any members suggest other's in this catagory?

Two outstanding quad albums come to mind , and I can't believe no one's mentioned are :

The Allman Brothers - Live At Fillmore East
Black Oak Arkansas - Raunch And Roll
and the live tracks of Allman Brothers - Eat A Peach

--and Those 3 albums you listed are still available btw in quad SQ CD

Back