Lockdown Viewing Thread: Volume 1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Well the "5 times" movie thread seems to have been a success as it wanders on, how about a thread for just plain "What you're watching" now, since the lockdown in the USA has now been extended to the end of April (which, IMHO, is not a bad thing). So we already have a lockdown listening thread, how about a viewing one?

I will start. I recalled back in the '80s watching the ABC mini-series "Winds of War" which spanned a week or so on network TV. I wanted to see it again so I ordered the DVD from Amazon for under $30 and my wife and I have been watching it. It's pretty damn good. There are a lot of folks in the world today that have no clue about the events of WW2. Pretty scary stuff.

Anyway, that's what I have been watching for the past few days. There is a follow up mini-series to this one called "War and Remembrance", however for some bizarre reason the DVD set for that one sells for around $300!! I searched and found that it's on YouTube of all things, so I might continue on with that.

Anyway, please suggest something for all of us to try, be it a streaming series, a film that you love that few know about, or something along those lines. If you suggest a streaming series, give a brief description please. That would help a lot.

And oh yes - - - - STAY HOME AND STAY SAFE!

Just started "Ozark" on Netflix and I'm loving it... very much a "Breaking Bad" vibe and style, and similar quality in writing and direction. I'm still working (although business is sloowwww), so hopefully the three seasons that are available will last me a while

Oh wow, I was just about to post the same thing! I only just got NetFlix for the first time and a friend told me I had to watch it. I thought the first episode was great and plan to keep watching.

I also got to finally see El Camino, the Breaking Bad sequel. I really enjoyed it. Great to see Badger & Skinny Pete again!

Just started "Ozark" on Netflix and I'm loving it... very much a "Breaking Bad" vibe and style, and similar quality in writing and direction. I'm still working (although business is sloowwww), so hopefully the three seasons that are available will last me a while
Same for me, got two Ozark's Season 3 in last night going to get a few more in tonight.

Been doing a lot of "this and that." On CBS All Access I've enjoyed PICARD (had already seen ST: Discovery, which I found a real treat, and I'm not really a Trekkie). They fixed the app problem of sound synch being off, but still has a few glitches. When the 5.1 sound is on, it's on!

On Netflix I binged OCTOBER FACTION -- fun! -- but finished all the ones I really wanted to see months ago (SABRINA 3 etc.). HUNTERS on Amazon Prime I'm partially through: weird, like a 70s "blaxploitation" movie but set as "Jewsploitation." Still, Pacino is great, as always, even if he jarringly slips into a Sicilian accent occasionally from his FIDDLER ON THE ROOF take-off, lol. I'll definitely finish the series.

Haven't seen OZARK but methinks I might. ATM I'm trying to get into FREUD on Netflix . . . finished episode 1 but not quite sure how long I'll make it. Almost strikes a tone of PENNY DREADFUL but not as good (so far).

Before the sequestering I was in season 4 of GAME OF THRONES (Dolby Atmos blu-ray -- magnificent!). Will finish that at some point but taking my time.

Also hankering to do the entire GOTHAM blu ray, all 7 seasons. My favorite TV show of the last few years, although ANIMAL KINGDOM comes close (new season should start this summer, hurray!).

For the new and upcoming: WESTWORLD 3! Most promising season so far! Although I stopped watching last season, I do have the AGENTS OF SHIELD blu rays and will either watch the new episodes as they appear, or wait and get the final season blu ray.

I am also watching a ton of YouTube videos on audio equipment, room correction, sub woofers, digital applications, etc. A huge encyclopedia of audiophile topics, can be overwhelming and confusing. For me probably mostly confusing, not the theories, but the facts. It seems most of the YouTube authors do try to do an accurate presentation and do not try to give you snake oil suggestions.
I do like this guy as he seems to have really good knowledge of the digital world that we at QQ live in at least most of us. He has the YouTube channel called The Hans Beekhuyzen Channel he is a little dry and mostly you are just watching him talk, he will show some graphs now and then. I feel like I am a sophomore trying to understand a senior class understanding most of it, but I want to be a good student so I just buckle down and study.

Better Call Saul is starting to reach Breaking Bad levels of awesomeness. Watching Westworld too and I've loved it from the start, but it's confusing and sometimes hard to follow and piece it all together, but it's deliberately that way and I love it!

Between AmazonPRIME/NETFLIX/HBO/STARZ, etc.......When in Television History have we been blessed with such a cornucopia of Quality Television? Before I delve into Prime/Netflix's many excellent shows, many in UHD4K, I have to include this Network TV series which not only boasted brilliant writing and acting but also had an amazing DISCRETE Sound Design. I only wish so~called Music Surround remixes had this much PIZZAZZ!

51grvL%2BC3TL.jpg

If you don't mind subtitles, Gomorrah is a great series. 4 seasons to date, 2 on Netflix. I would say it has a relationship to the novel and only shares Naploi and the Comorra with the movie.

The First Season [4K] of JACK RYAN was absolutely riveting ....have yet to finish watching Season 2.
HUNTERS with Al Pacino is a must watch although the ending did leave me a little cold.......
LOCK and KEY [4K] is excellent with a Season 2 coming next year
CHERNOBYL on HBO was AMAZING/Harrowing and well worth catching up on HBO streaming
Am currently watching THE UMBRELLA ACADEMY [4K] on Netflix ...... Season 2 is coming next year. Thoroughly Entertaining.
SHOWTIME'S THE LOUDEST VOICE featuring an almost unrecognizable Russell Crowe as FOX NEWS despot Roger Ailes, was EXCELLENT
NETFLIX'S THE HAUNTING OF HILL HOUSE likewise excellent .... and frankly pretty SCARY!
PRIME'S CARNIVAL ROW excellent, as well, 4K.

Last edited:
The First Season [4K] of JACK RYAN was absolutely riveting ....have yet to finish watching Season 2.
HUNTERS with Al Pacino is a must watch although the ending did leave me a little cold.......
LOCK and KEY [4K] is excellent with a Season 2 coming next year
CHERNOBYL on HBO was AMAZING/Harrowing and well worth catching up on HBO streaming
Am currently watching THE UMBRELLA ACADEMY [4K] on Netflix ...... Season 2 is coming next year. Thoroughly Entertaining.
SHOWTIME'S THE LOUDEST VOICE featuring an almost unrecognizable Russell Crowe as FOX NEWS despot Roger Ailes, was EXCELLENT
NETFLIX'S THE HAUNTING OF HILL HOUSE likewise excellent .... and frankly pretty SCARY!
PRIME'S CARNIVAL ROW excellent, as well, 4K.
I second UMBRELLA ACADEMY, which I binged when it first premiered. For some reason LOCK AND KEY hasn't grabbed me yet, made it through 3 episodes, but I'm sure I'll be bored enough to finish the season soon, lol. CARNIVAL ROW was fun, and heck, THE CROWN was awesome. Finished those (except for L&K) before the shutdown.

On my system, at least, of all the streaming channels, HBO has the finest video / audio quality, with Netflix second & Prime neck and neck. CBS ALL ACCESS still needs to work on its service a bit; much better, but a hiccup still here and there. When it's on, though, the video / audio is spot-on.

DARK on netflix is very dense and worthwhile. So good, so smart. The show isn't really all that dark - more about life's mysteries. Very well done and the sound design and mix is phenomenal. German produced and in German.
I'm curious if any German language speakers think that the voice work is fantastic?

Back