HiRez Poll Loggins and Messina - LOGGINS AND MESSINA [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Loggins and Messina - LOGGINS AND MESSINA

• 7:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters
The fronts on the old Q8 seem to be dulled a bit as well. It's not as noticeable on the SACD, but there does seem to be a bit of roll-off. The vocals don't seem to be as bright as the cymbals but then again, that could also come down to choice of microphones originally used.

I did find this disc to be a lot less hissy than Sly & The Family Stone. I'm sure that came down to the differences in noise reduction techniques between 1968/69 and 1972. Dolby became the industry standard sometime in there.

Good music, typical Larry Keyes mix with something over here, something over there but at least this mix makes a little more sense. Some mixes like Holiday Hotel feature the drums in a nice stereo mix in the rear and not spread out over three channels.

The fronts on the old Q8 seem to be dulled a bit as well. It's not as noticeable on the SACD, but there does seem to be a bit of roll-off. The vocals don't seem to be as bright as the cymbals but then again, that could also come down to choice of microphones originally used.

I did find this disc to be a lot less hissy than Sly & The Family Stone. I'm sure that came down to the differences in noise reduction techniques between 1968/69 and 1972. Dolby became the industry standard sometime in there.

Good music, typical Larry Keyes mix with something over here, something over there but at least this mix makes a little more sense. Some mixes like Holiday Hotel feature the drums in a nice stereo mix in the rear and not spread out over three channels.

I love that they all have some things going on in rear chans besides reverb or echo. Some percussion and rhythm guitar parts here and there. And they sound so nice! It's amazing how sometimes analog tapes preserve their sound quality after decades. Sometimes needing to be baked, or re-EQ'd, but the sound that they get seems to indicated great tapes in nice shape especially with this title. The E W & F like this one was also staggeringly great sounding. Larry Keys was very good at this. And yet quad mixes took such a bum rap for so long..........

I voted 9 because the sound is exceptional, but the material is not as strong as the nest two albums imo. Full Sail or Motherload would be a solid 10, so 9 seems fair. A really smooth sounding disc that does the artists and material proud.

I had never owned this title before and was only familiar with “Mama Don’t Dance” (which seemed to get endless airplay on Cleveland FM radio). It’s a fine album and so wonderfully "nineteen seventy-two". The quad mix is pretty solid and balanced but, as others have stated, vocals occasionally seem a bit veiled. The stereo mix sounds very good but the SACD layer has a similar balance issue to those found on the Sly and BS&T discs. The centered elements lean to the right side. I will contact AF. Redbook layer plays fine. An 8 for me.

Listened through it twice before voting, and like "Birds of Fire", this Quad SACD gets a well-deserved '9'.
Why not a '10'? The material just isn't quite up to the level of a '10' IMO, especially "Your Momma Don't Dance". I stomached my way through it on the 1st listen, but on the 2nd listen, I had to skip over it.
The rest of the material though is surprisingly good, and along with the "Best of Bread", these two may be amongst my wild card favorites of this Quad SACD series so far.
Definitely recommended! :)

Grouchy uncle here...
this is one of the DULLEST SOUNDING SACDs EVER!!!!!
SH did a "SH"ITTY JOB here...
I'm positive that an SQ conversion would sound WAAAAYYYYYYY BETTER..
Where are the high frequencies here , SH?

Too bad cause the material is really cool....

My opinion..., SH; DON'T DO ANY MORE QUAD BUTCHERINGS anymore..leave it to someone else!!!!
Go back to banning all the members in your site who DARE say ANYTHING wrong about your work...maybe the child in you will feel better :=P
sheeeeeesh!!!!

...The material just isn't quite up to the level of a '10' IMO, especially "Your Momma Don't Dance"...

My favourite track!!!!

I don't seem to have voted.

Mix - superb, 10
Tonality - superb, 10
Material - not all for me - probably 8, but I really don't think it should be part of the algorithm for reissues.

So a strong 9.

Grouchy uncle here...

My opinion..., SH; DON'T DO ANY MORE QUAD BUTCHERINGS anymore..leave it to someone else!!!!
Go back to banning all the members in your site who DARE say ANYTHING wrong about your work...maybe the child in you will feel better :=P
sheeeeeesh!!!!

On my copy the QUADRAPHONIC mix was transferred by Gus Skinas without any involvement from Steve H. I haven't listened to the stereo.

Nevertheless and notwithstanding can we leave the slagging off to Stereo Central? I'm not a sycophant by any means.

On my copy the QUADRAPHONIC mix was transferred by Gus Skinas without any involvement from Steve H. I haven't listened to the stereo.

Nevertheless and notwithstanding can we leave the slagging off to Stereo Central? I'm not a sycophant by any means.

You're quite right. Steve Hoffman was only responsible for the CD and stereo SACD masterings, while Gus Skinas was responsible for the 4.0 Analog to High Definition DSD Digital Transfer, so if the Kap'n is going to be hurling insults at some of these engineers, I suggest he get his facts straight first, not to mention I don't think it's wise to hurl insults at Gus Skinas anyway given all the incredible work he's done on these Quad SACDs for Audio Fidelity.
Oh, and to my ears, the mix and fidelity on this disc are outstanding. :)

Grouchy uncle here...

sheeeeeesh!!!!

Hey now! kap'n unleashing a little classic SQ10? :)

I thought Steve Hoffman did a great job with the Doors Quadraphonic, and I never thought anything like that would happen. I'm looking forward to getting this title, need to play a little catching up here with a couple of titles. But so far, so good, were getting titles to galore.

This has been a Great Year for Quadraphonic and surround in general. Let's Not forget this fact. Let's kick back and enjoy the music.

fwiw, the SQ LP of this one has a slightly recessed quality to it I find, especially upper mids have a kind of congested quality, most noticeable with lead vocals (by contrast the other 2 x Loggins & Messina SQ LPs are quite a bit brighter sounding, especially Native Sons which has what I would describe as a crisp, upfront sound) so maybe its inherent in the 4-channel master of this one and not as a result of any jiggery pokery by AF in the mastering.. I guess there's a possibility Gus Skinas mastered the Quad flat for this one and what we're hearing is the net result of that? Not defending AF or anything just telling it how I hear it with the SQ record, which sounds kind of "dulled" somewhat.

fwiw, the SQ LP of this one has a slightly recessed quality to it I find, especially upper mids have a kind of congested quality, most noticeable with lead vocals (by contrast the other 2 x Loggins & Messina SQ LPs are quite a bit brighter sounding, especially Native Sons which has what I would describe as a crisp, upfront sound) so maybe its inherent in the 4-channel master of this one and not as a result of any jiggery pokery by AF in the mastering.. I guess there's a possibility Gus Skinas mastered the Quad flat for this one and what we're hearing is the net result of that? Not defending AF or anything just telling it how I hear it with the SQ record, which sounds kind of "dulled" somewhat.

So, AB has suddenly become a full~blown SQ/QS but NOT so much CD~4 Vinyl junkie. I shouldn't even tell you this.....but back in the 70's, I was amassing quite a large collection of SQ, QS and CD~4 vinyl records (ALL in pristine condition in their heavy vinyl outer sleeves). I even have a JVC CD~4 demodulator but abandoned ALL hope of ever enjoying the various formats due to the poor electronics (mostly sub par receivers) of the time.

I am SO happy you're enjoying the fruits of modern technology with the Surround Master.......but alas, my Sota Sapphire turntable with separate power supply is collecting dust as I've sworn off vinyl forever. If you ever decide to go the CD~4 route (which is WAY too complicated to TRULY master), I have quite a few CD~4 discs you'd probably drool over.

BTW, SO glad to finally begin posting on Jon Urban's spectacular QQ forum.......which has been way overdue.

So who am I? Y:musicur old friend Ralph from SA~CD.net! :violin

BTW, SO glad to finally begin posting on Jon Urban's spectacular QQ forum.......which has been way overdue.

WELCOME!!! (Blush)

SO glad to finally begin posting on Jon Urban's spectacular QQ forum.......which has been way overdue.

SO... you've been here on QQ since 2013!!? ...and giving ME a hard time!! What the...!!!? :ugham: LOL!!!

Anyway...it's great to be able to keep the conversation going with ya, Ralphie! I was wondering where I'd meet up with you now that the "forum" has been regrettably and officially shut down. Oh well...knew it was coming...just a matter of time. I'm still waiting for Checkfield, but I've got lots of other Mch goodies to enjoy. Recently, I've been stuck on a Classical groove and have been resisting the urge to "spread Classical Propaganda" (as YOU put it) on QQ. :p

Well...there are no holds barred...NOW! :bounce17

Btw, I love this AF Quad release of Loggins & Messina. Easily a "9" from me.

(Glad to see friendly faces in favourite places :friday: You can spread some Classical propaganda my way btw :eek: .. I'm in serious need of educating on all aspects of it.. and all the better for being in surround of course..)

SO... you've been here on QQ since 2013!!? ...and giving ME a hard time!! What the...!!!? :ugham: LOL!!!

Anyway...it's great to be able to keep the conversation going with ya, Ralphie! I was wondering where I'd meet up with you now that the "forum" has been regrettably and officially shut down. Oh well...knew it was coming...just a matter of time. I'm still waiting for Checkfield, but I've got lots of other Mch goodies to enjoy. Recently, I've been stuck on a Classical groove and have been resisting the urge to "spread Classical Propaganda" (as YOU put it) on QQ. :p

Well...there are no holds barred...NOW! :bounce17

Btw, I love this AF Quad release of Loggins & Messina. Easily a "9" from me.

Yes, Senor Brett, I did sign on in 2013 but did not post anything until a few days ago. As usual, I have another fairly high recommendation for you: MIGRATION/DVD~A MLP 24/48/ FULLY Discrete 5.1........sort of world music with some ambient/trance tracks. http://www.amazon.com/Migration-Hamilton-Sterling-Jimmy-Haslip/dp/B002RDXUGO Really glad we can post vendor websites directly without being censored. And the two 5 star Amazon Reviews at the bottom are very accurate.

Together again, at last, Brett. I even asked Markie (Marpow) if he had your email. Really hope he pops in from time to time. REALLY glad I did. :cool:

BTW, I also gave Loggins and Messina a '9!' Sounds really fantastic on my system and especially love Angry Eyes.

Back