HiRez Poll Loggins and Messina - LOGGINS AND MESSINA [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Loggins and Messina - LOGGINS AND MESSINA

• 7:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters
I'm somewhere in the 8 or 9 range on this. No prior history with L&M here (shocker).
Groovy music, baby. Overall good sound. I think the rears come off as brighter because percussion and guitar licks tend to be relegated there (more trebly, piercing bits).
The fronts have the more earthy stuff - acoustics, laid-back vocals, etc.
Bass in the rears doesn't bother me. As long as drums aren't tucked in one corner, I'm good, for the most part.
Very cool disc. I highly recommend it.

I'll round this one up to an "8". Nice easy listen on a hot afternoon. But pretty dated sounding overall. Quad mix is good---nice and discreet, but dull to say the least! I guess "DSD Digital Transfer" maybe means a flat transfer rather than actually remastered?

Not likely to play this one a ton unless I juice up the fronts, but I like it.

Filling in the AF quad collection as it appears there may be no more to come. :(

I'll round this one up to an "8". Nice easy listen on a hot afternoon. But pretty dated sounding overall. Quad mix is good---nice and discreet, but dull to say the least! I guess "DSD Digital Transfer" maybe means a flat transfer rather than actually remastered?

Not likely to play this one a ton unless I juice up the fronts, but I like it.

Filling in the AF quad collection as it appears there may be no more to come. :(

Cool. Amazing how different folks comment on these. I thought it was far from dull. Oh well, just me. :) Glad to have new comments on these though....hopefully, anyone who has this has either commented or voted....

(y)

Cool. Amazing how different folks comment on these. I thought it was far from dull. Oh well, just me. :) Glad to have new comments on these though....hopefully, anyone who has this has either commented or voted....

(y)

Well, if it makes you feel any better, AFAIK, everybody's hearing is different (same as eyesight, etc.. there are similarities of course , but ...vive la difference!!)
Also, most (if not ALL) of the AF MCH SACDs have sounded "dull" to me...maybe it has to do with my tinnitus perennae, but I like my discd with some "sheen" on them; but not overly bright like some Genesis ones...

Well, if it makes you feel any better, AFAIK, everybody's hearing is different (same as eyesight, etc.. there are similarities of course , but ...vive la difference!!)
Also, most (if not ALL) of the AF MCH SACDs have sounded "dull" to me...maybe it has to do with my tinnitus perennae, but I like my discd with some "sheen" on them; but not overly bright like some Genesis ones...

Unlike you kap'n, I have found all of AF's MCH SACDs to sound just right, especially since I replaced all of the capacitors in my aging speakers. But don't worry, in due time all of us boomers won't be able to hear jack over 8000 Hz...and probably even less. So record companies had better release these multi-channel hi-res recordings while they can still sell them.

Unlike you kap'n, I have found all of AF's MCH SACDs to sound just right, especially since I replaced all of the capacitors in my aging speakers. But don't worry, in due time all of us boomers won't be able to hear jack over 8000 Hz...and probably even less. So record companies had better release these multi-channel hi-res recordings while they can still sell them.

And, to go further off topic, but to make a point. I own Klipsch speakers, which many describe as bright sounding. Oddly, that's what attracted me to them as I previously owned Polk and found them too smooth....to....dull. When I upgraded my speakers and went Klipsch, I was profoundly blown away at the clarity I'd been missing...

Again, all just my opinion. :)

So, to wrap this up. All of the Loggins/Messina surround discs I have to my ears sound amazing and smooth. Crystal clear. Did I vote a 9 on this one? I need to check back...

Well, I don't find all the AF discs to be dull. But this one sounded that way to me. And I don't need "Genesis" bright either. I'm not a fan of bright. Hurts my old ears.

Right after playing disc I went to Talking Heads' "Songs About Buildings and Food" which sounds just about perfect to me, BTW.

Paid a bit more than I wanted to, but I finally got my hands on this one. AF discs are going out of print real fast lately.

I've had the SQ LP for a long time, but I always kind of disregarded it as the album with "Your Momma Don't Dance" and ended up reaching for Full Sail instead. I've since come to really enjoy this album. The opening track "Good Friend" has a really nice groove and is an immediate attention grabber, but as others noted the real masterpiece is the closer "Angry Eyes". Just an amazing performance on that one.

The quad mix is typical early Columbia, meaning the super-discrete four-corner style. I like how they mixed the different components of the drum kick (kick, snare, cymbals, etc) to different corners of the room. The rear drums and bass sound great on my system. I love when the bass comes from the rear left in the beginning of "Angry Eyes".

Overall, Full Sail is the stronger album for both content and quad. But this is still a lot of fun. A 9 from me.

"Good Friend":

"Angry Eyes":

Last edited:
Very active surround mix and good+ sound. Angry Eyes has always been a favorite of mine, although I much prefer L&M's Full Sail to this album. I was dithering between 8 or 9 (wish I could give 8.5). An 8 it is.

Paid a bit more than I wanted to, but I finally got my hands on this one. AF discs are going out of print real fast lately.

I've had the SQ LP for a long time, but I always kind of disregarded it as the album with "Your Momma Don't Dance" and ended up reaching for Full Sail instead. I've since come to really enjoy this album. The opening track "Good Friend" has a really nice groove and is an immediate attention grabber, but as others noted the real masterpiece is the closer "Angry Eyes". Just an amazing performance on that one.

The quad mix is typical early Columbia, meaning the super-discrete four-corner style. I like how they mixed the different components of the drum kick (kick, snare, cymbals, etc) to different corners of the room. The rear drums and bass sound great on my system. I love when the bass comes from the rear left in the beginning of "Angry Eyes".

Overall, Full Sail is the stronger album for both content and quad. But this is still a lot of fun. A 9 from me.

"Good Friend":
View attachment 38839

"Angry Eyes":
View attachment 38840
Just look at those waves of wav files, so discreet, so beautiful, so nice! It’s the real thing there. Might not be their finest album nor the greatest quad mix, but it’s real quad mastered really well in this late era.

There are a few classic songs. So I agree 8.75 would be my vote now. Very close to a 9. But gotta save the 9s and the 10s for stuff like Full Sail, and albums with more solid classic tracks. This one is also a really good example of warm 70s analogue sound.

Just look at those waves of wav files, so discreet, so beautiful, so nice! It’s the real thing there. Might not be their finest album nor the greatest quad mix, but it’s real quad mastered really well in this late era.

There are a few classic songs. So I agree 8.75 would be my vote now. Very close to a 9. But gotta save the 9s and the 10s for stuff like Full Sail, and albums with more solid classic tracks. This one is also a really good example of warm 70s analogue sound.
Content being king... I like the songs on self-titled much more than Full Sail. Guess you had to be there? I just don't get the appeal. Worse than ELP's Love Beach, IMHO.

I like the songs on self-titled much more than Full Sail. Guess you had to be there? I just don't get the appeal. Worse than ELP's Love Beach, IMHO.
Whoa... Yikes. I wasn't there, and I still much prefer Full Sail. And while I don't hate Love Beach the way some fans do, I understand their position. Can't possibly think of Full Sail in that way.

Whoa... Yikes. I wasn't there, and I still much prefer Full Sail. And while I don't hate Love Beach the way some fans do, I understand their position. Can't possibly think of Full Sail in that way.
Goes to show we all have different tastes. I audition most surround offerings, so I don't end up with music I flat out don't like. Full Sail just didn't resonate.

Content being king... I like the songs on self-titled much more than Full Sail. Guess you had to be there? I just don't get the appeal. Worse than ELP's Love Beach, IMHO.

I wasn't there either. I assume you played it past the first track? I really don't like "Lahaina" or "My Music", but love the rest of it. Particularly "Travelin' Blues" and "Watching The River Run". It's also a much more sophisticated quad mix than the debut album, which was mixed during the early wave of CBS gold-bordered quad releases. Their third and final quad title, Native Sons, is definitely the weakest of the lot, but I'd still love an SACD release just to hear how the mix sounds discrete (it was only released as an SQ matrix LP).

"Angry Eyes"...just damn. Blows me away every time.

Last edited:

To each their own, but I'm not sure I get the connection between L&M and ELP other than the "nautical" title theme and the suntanned visages. Musically, miles apart -and I'm not aware of a quad version of Love Beach either - just seems like a fairly random comparison.

Back