London Records and good 'ol Phase 4

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surround.sound.enthusiast

500 Club - QQ All-Star
So we all know that none of the London Phase 4 Stereo LP's were quad. They just make our hearts rise, and then sink again, when we hit a record while record picking
with a big "4" splashed across the cover, only to say "Dammit, another Phase 4 Stereo!"

Well, how's this for mixing up the situation even worse, essentially Phase 4 Mono(!) :

38604 38605

First one of these that I think I've come across, or at least realized. The mix-down description is interesting. For 1962: mono - okay, that's natural. But in hindsight it seems
as funny as saying "Look at what we did, we took a four channel master recording, didn't release it as quad, and even bypassed releasing it as stereo. We made it mono!"
Ah, it was an amusing find...

Keep in mind that most records before 1967 were issued in both mono and stereo. The mono Phase 4 discs are increasingly uncommon as they are purged from thrift stores. There are dedicated mono listeners, but not very many. The Phase 4 records were mastered using, I believe, 4 track tape and a specific mike arrangement. To make things worse, Phase 4 stereo reccords are popular in Japan still, and the auction sites claim them to be 4 channel. To quote Garfield, ARGHH!

I think the 360 degree stereo on CBS(UK and some colonies) or Columbia(North America) records meant that the new stereo records were meant to wrap you in sound all around. Most of those kind of things are just marketing, but London/Decca and a few other labels actually had processes that were unique and even documented by the labels.

Yes, CBS, or Columbia in the U.S., "360 Degree Sound" was a marketing ploy to advertise realistic stereo product. It's re-activated from time to time, such as on Mad Season's "Above" CD, and I think Alice In Chains self titled (three-legged dog) album. Both from the same time frame in the 90's, both involved an overlapping musician, and both invoking that retro look.

As far as the Phase 4 mono albums - indeed rare. I've hit enough Phase 4's in discount bins and thrift stores, and at best probably only hit a few of them in mono in hindsight: the "4" labeling isn't as prominent on them.

I think the 360 degree stereo on CBS(UK and some colonies) or Columbia(North America) records meant that the new stereo records were meant to wrap you in sound all around. Most of those kind of things are just marketing, but London/Decca and a few other labels actually had processes that were unique and even documented by the labels.
who are you calling a colonie you are a collonie
I will write to our Queen
We are not amused

When I had Phase 4 Vinyl decades ago I remember the liner notes had a cartoon like diagram of their 20 channel mixer which then mixed down to 4 and then to 2. Surely that 4 channel interim stage has to be preserved somewhere! (I know, that's hopelessly optimistic!).

Back