Look at what just turned up here!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomerJAU

Moderator: MCH Media Players
Staff member
The LP is to give you scale:

IMG_0280.jpg

I had a 75" LED TV (Sony X900F) in my dedicated media room which I can make completely dark. The LED never quite looked right compared to my 55" OLED in my living area. Seeing the OLED every day I'd always wish I'd bought a 77" OLED instead. Just looks so much better with 'black' blacks. LED is just very dark gray.

Last edited:
I had a 75" LED TV (Sony X900F) in my dedicated media room which I can make completely dark. The LED never quite looked right compared to my 55" OLED in my living area. Seeing the OLED every day I'd always wish I'd bought a 77" OLED instead. Just looks so much better with 'black' blacks. LED is just very dark gray.

OLED, Homer, IS THE WAY TO GO. Everything looks phenomenol. I have a 2016 CURVED LG OLED model that does 3D and I swear GOOD 3D Looks almost as good as 4K. NO exaggeration!

ENJOY!

This is my media room. I’ll upload more photos when TV is up and running. I only ever posted the front view. I have a couple of B&W 804D as my sides, two Focal SR1000 as my rears mounted on back wall up high and 4 Focal in-ceilings mounted over my seating position to give me 7.2.4. (Two B&W subs at front).

Look at the blacks, no gray sidebars in a 4:3 iPhone photo:

View attachment 49957

I had a 65 inch in house earlier this year for a couple weeks and yes, the blacks were what caught my attention compared to my 10+ year old 42 inch TV.

I had to return it because I am a hockey fan and when watching the games, the white background had vertical streaks that once you see it during hockey, you can't unsee it even if it isn't there with other material. I realized I had to spend more and get something I can live with for the next decade.

4K HDR movies are a thing of beauty on these new sets!

I have been contemplating a new one also with prices being what they are,not sure what to buy still using my old 40 inch plasma,smart TV or do they fail wi-fi inside or not sensory overload on reading reviews.My favorite brand Panasonic no longer sells on the market.

In ancient days of Sony Trinitron CRT a friend brought over a Laserdisc player he wanted to sell. I had only read about these devices so we hooked it up to demo. The 1st disc was Aliens and when those credits came on I had never seen such deep blacks & by contrast white white's. Interesting how an important part of our visual experience is what we don't see. I am a dedicated front projection lover so I know my blacks are as you said, very dark grey. But I do have that cinema effect. Certainly direct view sets are more practical for most people.

How do you have this new beauty set up? I find it humorous when friends buy a new super thin TV & then set it on a "media cabinet" or whatever that's maybe 18" deep.

I have been contemplating a new one also with prices being what they are,not sure what to buy still using my old 40 inch plasma,smart TV or do they fail wi-fi inside or not sensory overload on reading reviews.My favorite brand Panasonic no longer sells on the market.
I've a 55" Sony OLED which is great, apart from having to have an active internet link to get the Satellite channels or listing, if its not there no satellite channels, ****ing stupid! A lot of (most?) TV OLED panels are made by LG and used by other companies.

So here's the state of my dedicated room today:

Front view: (New 77" OLED. Fronts, Subs & Ceiling speakers at top - home made cabinet made from Ikea bits. Old TV at side awaiting new owner)
IMG_1169.jpg

Rear view: (Rear ceilings, Rears up high, the two sides) - bar fridge (essential) and a bar table:
IMG_1166.jpg

Last edited:
Ah nice one Garry - the cinemas might be closed at the moment but that doesn’t have to apply here! It looks great on ‘The Wall’. :cool:

I got the 55 C9 at Chrimbo and yeah those black levels are just jaw dropping. Any content with Dolby Vision just shines...

I remember getting it out of the box was quite nerve racking due to the thinness!

Enjoy!

I'm interested to see that the OLED tv's have come into their own. Up until around 12 years or so ago I was selling consumer electronics for a few years. Back then, the Pioneer Elite plasmas were easily the best picture/processing around, and OLED's were still only around 10" big at most. Currently I have an older Panasonic (post Pioneer buyout) 42 that I got for around $350 on craigslist that kills, and an older Pansonic 42 for $80 on craigslist. I still love plasma picture the most and of course old school CRT for black levels and contrast, but judging by what you all are saying, by the time my tv's bite the dust I'll have something great to look forward to.

It seems burn in problems vary but all of the different kinds say you have to be careful which is almost impossible. If you watch espn then you have the scroll,at the bottom, watch the same news then you have the same channel in the corner or whatever. I've been researching for 2 years replacing my plasma that has bad burn in so I'm a little stand off on a new TV.

Back