Looking at the Grammy's this year, and in years past, had me wondering...

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minimumtumbleweed

300 Club - QQ All-Star
How are these decided, really? Obviously, I'm talking specifically about categories near and dear to all of us, Best Surround Sound Album and Best Immersive Audio Album. Now, I haven't heard the albums that won for this year (or, most of the albums that have won in previous years, strangely), but I just can't understand how someone like Steven Wilson hasn't won this award yet. In fact, he's been nominated five times, but only for his own albums. Most likely, they don't allow for remixes of old albums to be nominated. And yet (and I am open to being corrected, since I haven't heard these albums), I am skeptical that the surround mix for Alicia Keys' latest album was better than The Future Bites, or that the Soundtrack for the American Soldier by the US Army Field Band is more immersive.

Anyways, a bit of a rant, but wondering what you all think. Note that this isn't exclusive to Steven Wilson; I'm not sure I've heard any of the albums that have won since the inception of these categories, and haven't seen them discussed in these forums.

I'll add that I'll be quite suspicious if The Tipping Point doesn't win at least one of these awards next year - quite honestly the best surround and Atmos mixes I have ever heard.

That's not true....the 20th Anniversary Edition of Dire Straits' "Brothers In Arms" won the 2006 Grammy for "Best Surround Sound Album".
Oh yeah, missed that one... Well then, all the more egregious I suppose (although Brothers in Arms was a very good mix).

I could say a lot of incendiary things but at the very least it seems the judges are shockingly unaware of most of the surround releases or it's a clique thing. I suspect simply the latter like the RHOF.

Let the record show: this year's winner for Best Immersive Album was remixed for 360RA exclusively :phones , from a 2020 stereo release.

Best Immersive Audio Album

Winner ~ Alicia, George Massenburg & Eric Schilling, immersive mix engineers; Michael Romanowski, immersive mastering engineer; Ann Mincieli, immersive producer (Alicia Keys)

(Sorry, has the horse stopped breathing?) šŸ“ ā˜  āš°

I could say a lot of incendiary things but at the very least it seems the judges are shockingly unaware of most of the surround releases or it's a clique thing. I suspect simply the latter like the RHOF.
I would think that as well, although what level of familiarity do the voters (also unsure how this works; is it like the Academy Awards where all members cast votes?) have to have with the categories they're voting on, I wonder. I mean, they make the point of putting the category in there, and I assume that whoever is voting would have to have at least listened to all the entrants.

Yeah it's likely that the ones were thinking about weren't ever entered.

I would think that as well, although what level of familiarity do the voters (also unsure how this works; is it like the Academy Awards where all members cast votes?) have to have with the categories they're voting on, I wonder. I mean, they make the point of putting the category in there, and I assume that whoever is voting would have to have at least listened to all the entrants.
Yeah it's likely that the ones were thinking about weren't ever entered.
You have to enter to win, and many recordings aren't entered. As for the judging: I haven't been able to determine who was on this year's Craft Committee for Immersive Audio Album (that's who selects the finalists and the winner in this category, from all entries submitted). But they don't give places on those Craft Committees to chimps. In the past, this one has included big names that we all know: Scheiner, Schmitt, Massenburg, Clearmountain, et al.

More details re Craft Committee for Immersive Audio Album nominations & process:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/and-the-grammy-goes-to.32205/post-621886

Last edited:
You have to enter to win, and many recordings aren't entered. As for the judging: I haven't been able to determine who was on this year's Craft Committee for Immersive Audio Album (that's who selects the finalists and the winner in this category, from all entries submitted). But they don't give places on those Craft Committees to chimps. In the past, this one has included big names that we all know: Scheiner, Schmitt, Massenburg, Clearmountain, et al.

More details re Craft Committee for Immersive Audio Album nominations & process:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/and-the-grammy-goes-to.32205/post-621886
Thanks, I suppose I was a bit lazy and should have looked it up myself... I wonder what the barrier to entry is. Is there a cost involved?

Back