• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Quadraphonic Quad and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Looking for some receivers

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArmyOfQuad

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Nostalgia has me on a constant look out for various receivers that have come and gone into my life over the years, to add to my piles of clutter. It's easy to find tons of various 70s receivers. But have you ever tried looking for a specific one? Sometimes it can be nearly impossible to find something specific. anyways - just wanted to throw this out there to see if anyone may happen to have one of these kicking around unwanted.

First - I'd love to find another of my first quad receiver. It was a columbia masterwork. I have never seen another one exactly like it, nor have I found a picture of one. But I'll do my best to describe it.
It has 8-track/am/fm/ and turntable built into the top. Quad 8-track. input selection was done by push buttons. The right side had up/down moving sliders for left/right balance, front/back balance, volume, and separation. Next to the selection push buttons was a push button for SQ that would be pushed on or off. I can include a picture of what the 8-track portion of the receiver looks like
1668706268768.png

There are other receivers that have this 8-track that also have a joystick - the one I'm looking for has no joystick.

I'm also looking for a specific soundesign stereo receiver. am/fm/8-track/turntable receiver. I have a picture of one without the turntable, which is a model 4485b
1668711808328.jpeg

I wouldn't pass on one like this without the turntable, but I really want one exactly like I had, with the turntable built into the top.

Also on my wish list, a tenna HL-3105
1668712693315.png

bonus points if it has a garrard turntable like this on top of it (although the platter isn't exactly right on this one)
1668712872951.png

Attachments

• 1668712843732.png
    1668712843732.png
    1,005.1 KB · Views: 0
One down, 2 to go.

I've had my eye on a SounDesign on eBay like the one I pictured without the turntable, which would be perfect for the kitchen. The thing I have in there is rather crappy, but not something I care enough about to open up and work on - so I figure I need to find a good project receiver that I care enough about to fix up. But - the seller is delusional, and has the thing listed at $200+. Perhaps I'm a bit stuck in the past when you could find things like these in dumpsters rather regularly. But still - I hardly consider an average SounDesign receiver as something that was ever exactly "desirable", and any receiver from the 70s that isn't refurbished, even if you thoroughly test it as working, isn't going to be without problems. Absolutely ridiculous. I threw some reasonable offers at him, but he won't even counter, which I find beyond rude! If you list a buy it now that accepts offers on eBay, and won't even counter, then don't bother. Stop wasting our time! Good luck getting anything close to asking for that.

So - had to move on and search a bit more.

And this beauty showed up.

1710101064764.png

Almost exactly like my first quad receiver - except mine had 2 balance faders, one left/right one front/back, instead of a joystick, and a hole in the top where the broken turntable was removed.

It's not working, sound fizzles out, which is the same problem my past one developed - but any receiver this age is going to have a problem, so one that has a problem helps get a seller in the right price range.

Well.....now to come up with a plan of attack. Most likely it's just going to end up on a pile of projects to get to someday...

Back