Looking for suggestions on how to combine my quad set up with home theater and quality to channel listening. Is it possible?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quadgirl

Since 2002/2003
Looking for suggestions on how to combine my quad set up with home theater and quality to channel listening. Is it possible?

hi everyone. I hope y’all are doing well and thriving as we work through this Covid stuff. I’ve had questions that I’ve long needed answers for and I’m hoping to find a suitable solution, but I can leave well enough alone as well. I have in my den both a quad set up consisting of a standstill a 9001, Marantz 6300 turntable, technics SH-400 Demodulator and top-of-the-line a chai and technics q8 decks, as well as an oppo player for hi-rez dts and sacd and dvd-a playing. My front channels are Klipsch La Scala‘s and rares are Klipsch Heresy’s. Are use a Zektor switch to go between them all. Now my main problem is being a Gemini and seeing all sides but also wanting everything. I run in the same room a 5.1 set up of a dent on 4310 receiver, Rega Planar p-6, newer one, with Dv20x moving coil cart, jolida phono preamp, Nak tape deck and oppo 203. Music matters to me much more than Home theater, but I have a very nice EP 500 sub from axiom with real word and I do enjoy movies with my home theater. This all works fine and I may decide just to upgrade how I listen to stereo music. But after all these details here is my question:

Is there an audiophile-ISH way to have one set if speakers take care of both systems, but also allow for next-level stereo album listening? I’ve actually even been considering using Kef LS 50 Metas on stands to replace my axiom m80 towers, to see if that improves listening to stereo. And that’s what got me thinking could I use speakers like that even? I’m not sure I could part with the La Scala’s and the Heresy’s, but maybe. And would an integrated amp into denon help with that? But what gets confusing is, is there a way to have some more modern equipment and enjoy my Q8 tapes and my CD-4 and SQ and QS albums? I have been and always will be such a lover of vintage equipment, but can one set of modern equipment better the quality of sound in terms of soundstage and and immersiveness? And pardon the pun, is it heresy to even consider such? And do any of you run systems where you are perfectly satisfied with your stereo listening and your quad and HT works through it as well? And if so what do you use or what would you suggest and what I buy higher end a little bit older stuff or modern equipment? If I even do this. But it keeps being on my mind because they are times when I so enjoy stereo that I can’t go straight to a quad eight tape in that listening session. And then on the other hand there are times I pop in that Q8 and I am in heaven. And I sure don’t mean to waste anybody’s time but I was just curious as to whether other people think like this.

I am literally out of room for storage of my media and I would not mind downsizing a little to something like those small Kefs which I would buy from a place where I can return them if I don’t like them. And what are your thoughts about going from a tower to a stand mount. I’ve heard that is good for listening to stereo albums. And I just now have a switcher where I’m gonna hook up and switch between the La Scala‘s in the modern system and the axioms in the vintage system for my front channels and I thought I would see or rather hear how the La Scala‘s are in stereo With my Rega. I’ve been a very much purist and only used my Klipsch‘s for quad and never thought to listen to them for anything else. but they are beasts and I’m a little compromised on the right channel of La Scala because my media rack obscures it and I have to tow it in for real listening sessions which means moving the other speaker that’s beside it. I’ll try to attach a picture here if it’ll let me. Then y’all will see what I do. I think it’s about as neat and tidy as it can get, but in my older age I really want the best I can possibly listen to knowing that my hearing is probably compromised anyway from listening to loud as a youngster and really even into adulthood. Is there a way to have it all in a smaller footprint with newer equipment? If I could only find a Brady Bunch house, I would have a quad room and a stereo room and that would solve everything. Alas, everything‘s in one room. So thank you for any thoughts you may have on this and feel free to digress as I did. I’m just looking for a little help as I ponder all this. And I’m grateful to feel good and be enjoying my quad and my stereo and even considering tweaking and messing with things. It makes me happy! Thanks in advance for any help. Take care.

Attachments

• 1370A270-9C0C-4C4D-8E42-29A48C8D4DA2.jpeg
    1370A270-9C0C-4C4D-8E42-29A48C8D4DA2.jpeg
    139.1 KB · Views: 126
  • 02DDF4ED-31B7-47E6-9E2F-73C267999D7F.jpeg
    02DDF4ED-31B7-47E6-9E2F-73C267999D7F.jpeg
    77.8 KB · Views: 121
Here's one way of driving one or two sets of speakers from up to seven amps/receivers (or vice-versa):

https://www.outdoorspeakerdepot.com...e-automatic-speaker-selector-remote-atm7.html
https://www.osdaudio.com/distributi...e-automatic-speaker-selector-remote-atm7.html

I bought three of these in 2011 for just what you mentioned - a stereo system (well, a 5.1 Dolby ProLogic I from the mid-nineties) and a modern 7.1 surround sound system with just one set of speakers. To be honest though, I'm not so sure about the build quality at that time. I had to send them back because they attempted to design them to go into standby after so many seconds without signal, but they then didn't come out of standby. And after that I recall having having to disconnect only a left or right banana plug from one of my stereo system surround channels, because it would cause a volume imbalance to either the rear left or right when playing the 7.1 surround sound system! It led me to believe that they were using shared paths inside or something, which I didn't like the idea of, so only power on one system or the other, and never play my older 5.1 system in surround because my 7.1 is far more capable.

Of course, there's also the Russound A/B stereo speaker selector, which if you're only going to share your front left and right speakers between two sources, could do the job. I haven't used this item myself.

Russound - AB-2.2 Table Top, Dual Source Speaker Selector

Here's one way of driving one or two sets of speakers from up to seven amps/receivers (or vice-versa):

https://www.outdoorspeakerdepot.com...e-automatic-speaker-selector-remote-atm7.html
https://www.osdaudio.com/distributi...e-automatic-speaker-selector-remote-atm7.html

I bought three of these in 2011 for just what you mentioned - a stereo system (well, a 5.1 Dolby ProLogic I from the mid-nineties) and a modern 7.1 surround sound system with just one set of speakers. To be honest though, I'm not so sure about the build quality at that time. I had to send them back because they attempted to design them to go into standby after so many seconds without signal, but they then didn't come out of standby. And after that I recall having having to disconnect only a left or right banana plug from one of my stereo system surround channels, because it would cause a volume imbalance to either the rear left or right when playing the 7.1 surround sound system! It led me to believe that they were using shared paths inside or something, which I didn't like the idea of, so only power on one system or the other, and never play my older 5.1 system in surround because my 7.1 is far more capable.

Of course, there's also the Russound A/B stereo speaker selector, which if you're only going to share your front left and right speakers between two sources, could do the job. I haven't used this item myself.

Russound - AB-2.2 Table Top, Dual Source Speaker Selector
Thanks! I actually bought a russound and that is the one I will connect for going between 2 receivers and two sets of front channels. I had also bought these connector things that will help get my heavy gauge wire into those little pushbutton receptacles on the rest sound. I was going to hook that up this weekend but I need to be fresh to do it, but it will be soon that I can see how the LaScala’s sound for two channel listening. I suppose I could buy one more run sound and do the same for rear channels but redoing that speaker wires a lot more tedious. And I may be in an upgrade moment where I find a way to combine everything and try to get the best of all worlds for sound quality in both stereo and m/c and quad. Thanks for chiming in. I think I gave so much information that it’s probably confusing to people. I was hoping somebody around here has perfected a system and I could learn what works best for them and maybe emulate it. But it might be cost prohibitive who knows? Anyway thank you so much for chiming in!

What a pleasant embarrassment of riches. (y)

You may be able to help your connector headaches with one of these sets.
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/video-about-connector-ferrule-kits.30405/
Media does take up a lot of space. You might need to rip all that stuff to a server and move it into storage away from the system.
That too is a whole nother subject (which I am currently diving into) Of course its a separate technique for each type. LP CD DVD BD

Thanks! I actually bought a russound and that is the one I will connect for going between 2 receivers and two sets of front channels. I had also bought these connector things that will help get my heavy gauge wire into those little pushbutton receptacles on the Russound.
Yeah, that's the only thing with that model, and other speaker selectors: they can't handle large gauge wire or spade/banana connectors. It can make for a real hassle at the very last step of connecting. gene_stl's suggestion looks interesting.

I have had this for years.

I bought a receiver with 5.1 Pro Logic II and a 6-channel analog input.

All of my other quad equipment is selected by selector switches to feed into the receiver.

I also have 6 other channels selected by the selectors for speaker locations other than the 5.1 locations.

I have had this for years.

I bought a receiver with 5.1 Pro Logic II and a 6-channel analog input.

All of my other quad equipment is selected by selector switches to feed into the receiver.

I also have 6 other channels selected by the selectors for speaker locations other than the 5.1 locations.
Wow, thanks. You wrote so succinctly and I am still scratching my head thinking of how that actually works in practice. Thanks for opening my eyes to that possibility. I appreciate you taking the time and giving me something to think about. It is just a challenge - in a perfect world, I would have a few different quad setups, a separate two-channel high end setup, and a home theater - all in their own rooms! 🤪😀

In my system which is mainly for music and only incidentally for HT (to watch operas and concert discs)
I am considering three of these to go before the electronic crossover networks and or poweramps.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_
It will take three to correctly switch 5.1 I will report if the video channel is the same as the audio or can be so modified which would reduce the number to two.

In my system which is mainly for music and only incidentally for HT (to watch operas and concert discs)
I am considering three of these to go before the electronic crossover networks and or poweramps.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_
It will take three to correctly switch 5.1 I will report if the video channel is the same as the audio or can be so modified which would reduce the number to two.
It appears to be a passive switcher so audio or video signals would be handled the same. You should only need two of 'em.

Thanks for that link. Very interesting!

It appears to be a passive switcher so audio or video signals would be handled the same. You should only need two of 'em.
I am concerned till I put my own eyes on them that there may be a different resistor across the video , ie to make it 50 ohm. They are so cheep that buying three is no big deal. I want them to be identical whether there are two or three in ye old system.

And who knows. The system might get bigger than 5.1;):ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

hi everyone. I hope y’all are doing well and thriving as we work through this Covid stuff. I’ve had questions that I’ve long needed answers for and I’m hoping to find a suitable solution, but I can leave well enough alone as well. I have in my den both a quad set up consisting of a standstill a 9001, Marantz 6300 turntable, technics SH-400 Demodulator and top-of-the-line a chai and technics q8 decks, as well as an oppo player for hi-rez dts and sacd and dvd-a playing. My front channels are Klipsch La Scala‘s and rares are Klipsch Heresy’s. Are use a Zektor switch to go between them all. Now my main problem is being a Gemini and seeing all sides but also wanting everything. I run in the same room a 5.1 set up of a dent on 4310 receiver, Rega Planar p-6, newer one, with Dv20x moving coil cart, jolida phono preamp, Nak tape deck and oppo 203. Music matters to me much more than Home theater, but I have a very nice EP 500 sub from axiom with real word and I do enjoy movies with my home theater. This all works fine and I may decide just to upgrade how I listen to stereo music. But after all these details here is my question:

Is there an audiophile-ISH way to have one set if speakers take care of both systems, but also allow for next-level stereo album listening? I’ve actually even been considering using Kef LS 50 Metas on stands to replace my axiom m80 towers, to see if that improves listening to stereo. And that’s what got me thinking could I use speakers like that even? I’m not sure I could part with the La Scala’s and the Heresy’s, but maybe. And would an integrated amp into denon help with that? But what gets confusing is, is there a way to have some more modern equipment and enjoy my Q8 tapes and my CD-4 and SQ and QS albums? I have been and always will be such a lover of vintage equipment, but can one set of modern equipment better the quality of sound in terms of soundstage and and immersiveness? And pardon the pun, is it heresy to even consider such? And do any of you run systems where you are perfectly satisfied with your stereo listening and your quad and HT works through it as well? And if so what do you use or what would you suggest and what I buy higher end a little bit older stuff or modern equipment? If I even do this. But it keeps being on my mind because they are times when I so enjoy stereo that I can’t go straight to a quad eight tape in that listening session. And then on the other hand there are times I pop in that Q8 and I am in heaven. And I sure don’t mean to waste anybody’s time but I was just curious as to whether other people think like this.

I am literally out of room for storage of my media and I would not mind downsizing a little to something like those small Kefs which I would buy from a place where I can return them if I don’t like them. And what are your thoughts about going from a tower to a stand mount. I’ve heard that is good for listening to stereo albums. And I just now have a switcher where I’m gonna hook up and switch between the La Scala‘s in the modern system and the axioms in the vintage system for my front channels and I thought I would see or rather hear how the La Scala‘s are in stereo With my Rega. I’ve been a very much purist and only used my Klipsch‘s for quad and never thought to listen to them for anything else. but they are beasts and I’m a little compromised on the right channel of La Scala because my media rack obscures it and I have to tow it in for real listening sessions which means moving the other speaker that’s beside it. I’ll try to attach a picture here if it’ll let me. Then y’all will see what I do. I think it’s about as neat and tidy as it can get, but in my older age I really want the best I can possibly listen to knowing that my hearing is probably compromised anyway from listening to loud as a youngster and really even into adulthood. Is there a way to have it all in a smaller footprint with newer equipment? If I could only find a Brady Bunch house, I would have a quad room and a stereo room and that would solve everything. Alas, everything‘s in one room. So thank you for any thoughts you may have on this and feel free to digress as I did. I’m just looking for a little help as I ponder all this. And I’m grateful to feel good and be enjoying my quad and my stereo and even considering tweaking and messing with things. It makes me happy! Thanks in advance for any help. Take care.

Having spent too many years evolving from High End Stereo with tubes and vinyl, through to HD digital on Bluray, once I discovered the Neo-X surrround simulator I have said goodbye forever to Stereo and listen to ALL media via my Surround 5.3 system (that´s with 3 Subs for flattest room-wide bass).

My personal impresion is that the Higher-the-End of Stereo systems (pun intended), with the most brilliant imaging and definition (of course!), in fact the worse is the musical experience. Top Stereo is always like standing at a window with occasional fire hoses hitting one in the face, a totally artificial experience so far and away from real live music. Meanwhile, though nothing equals real live music, my Surround system always FEELs just so much more musical, with the great advantage that I can forget about the Stereo sweet spot for imaging etc., as the sound is truly delightful and relaxed entirely throughout my living room. This is something that my wife truly appreciates.

However I must emphasize an important detail: it is vital to have 3 high quality L,C,R fronts, preferably identical. Too many comments on Stereo vs. Surround compare systems with 2 exotic Stereo speakers and Amps with 5 or more much lower quality Surround speakers and Amps. This is NOT a fair comparison. My last word is in fact just a simple question: why waste money and space on a Stereo system and so end up with a lesser budget for an independent Surround system, effectively of lesser quality. In conclusion, I want the best for all of my musical listening experience, be it from Stereo LPs and CDs, though to Bluray concerts and movies... and my Surround system is optimized as TOP for all, within my budget! And if I were to have an unlimited budget, I would of course just implement a more ideal room with an even more ideal Surround system, without any doubt !!! Goodbye Stereo ...

Last edited:
One of the priorities should be what the system is used for most, music or movies. A system that's properly planned out and set up should be able to do both with equal ease. Matching your speakers, all the way around, will have advantages for both music and movies, and electronics that can take full advantage of the speakers' capabilities are important, too. Source hardware, too, should be planned for the more critical of the two (typically music). There are a number of very fine quality universal disc players that can take full advantage of both. Unfortunately, most new surround capable receivers and preamps have made it harder to integrate components you may already have. More digital inputs and fewer analog, for example. I have, for example, a Surround Master v.2, and most new receivers, most particularly those with Dolby Atmos and DTS-X, no longer have connections that can accommodate such a device. In my opinion, that's a mistake. Few still offer a phono input, but if there are enough analog two-channel inputs, there are phono stages that will outperform anything built into a receiver or processor. Obviously, the room has to make sense, too. One more thing... do we really need Atmos for music?

Back