Looking forward to 2021

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well how many other Hancock's are left, didn't you say somewhere that Secrets was fake Quad Dave?
https://www.discogs.com/Herbie-Hancock-Secrets/release/1866467

@fredblue 's laid out what remains, although it's unknown if the Future Shock 5.1 remix was actually completed or not.

Secrets is indeed a fake quad, but a more elaborate one than the handful of other fake CBS quad mixes (Santana Amigos and Festival for example) in that it's not just simply an "unwrap" or upmix. In addition to that, in some of the intros or outros where there's an isolated instrument like a guitar, they'll pan it hard to one of the rear speakers (like the intro of Doin' It) or swirl it between them, like some of the wah-wah guitar toward the end of one of the other songs, I think it's either People Music or Gentle Thoughts.

It's such a tragedy that Man-Child (the album that came after Thrust and before Secrets) was never released in quad - it's some of Herbie's best fusion material, and aside from the Headhunters has a crazy list of supporting musicians including Stevie Wonder, Louis Johnson and Wayne Shorter. I'd love to know what the circumstances were that led to CBS skipping this one on the quad carousel.

There's definitely plenty to look forward to from D-V in the year ahead.

I'd also add the following:

Herbie Hancock Thrust SACD from Sony Japan (I mentioned this elsewhere, when they do an artist they usually do all of their quads, and a digital transfer exists since AF released this album so cost-wise, it seems like a no-brainer).

Anything originally released in 1971 is probably at peak plausibility for a deluxe reissue, because of the US copyright stipulation that says a recording has to be made commercially available within 50 years of its recording or you lose your copyright protection. Just for example, King Crimson has made downloads of all the session reels from (I think) Poseidon and Lizard (their 1970 albums) to comply with this. Take your pick of great albums released that year - some more plausible than others probably, like Led Zeppelin's 4th album and Pink Floyd Meddle seem unlikely but there's a lot of other good stuff to choose from. How about a surround remix of Mahavishnu Orchestra's The Inner Mounting Flame to kick off a yearly reissue project for them? Attention Sony, I'm available if Bob Belden isn't. ;)
I've been saying this for literally years. Really curious if anything comes of it. Earlier threads:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/quadraphonic-music-at-50.27680/#post-465974https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...sible-sunlight-on-the-horizon-for-quad.23458/

A Beautiful Curse has a new song out NOW: "Love" It is from the forthcoming This Is Revolution
https://abeautifulcurse.bandcamp.com/album/this-is-revolution
1604300465296.png

Last edited:
@fredblue 's laid out what remains, although it's unknown if the Future Shock 5.1 remix was actually completed or not.

Secrets is indeed a fake quad, but a more elaborate one than the handful of other fake CBS quad mixes (Santana Amigos and Festival for example) in that it's not just simply an "unwrap" or upmix. In addition to that, in some of the intros or outros where there's an isolated instrument like a guitar, they'll pan it hard to one of the rear speakers (like the intro of Doin' It) or swirl it between them, like some of the wah-wah guitar toward the end of one of the other songs, I think it's either People Music or Gentle Thoughts.

It's such a tragedy that Man-Child (the album that came after Thrust and before Secrets) was never released in quad - it's some of Herbie's best fusion material, and aside from the Headhunters has a crazy list of supporting musicians including Stevie Wonder, Louis Johnson and Wayne Shorter. I'd love to know what the circumstances were that led to CBS skipping this one on the quad carousel.

Additional Audio CD, Hybrid SACD - DSD, Super Audio CD - DSD, September 19, 2007

Product description
内容紹介
Japanese SACD hybrid disc pressing of Hancock's 1983 album features the digitally remastered stereo mix and the 5.1 mix. The SACD side is only playable on SACD players. The CD side is playable on most CD players. Sony.
1604325233296.png

Info from Amazon.jp - No 'obi' or back label shown.... Not listed on Sony Music Japan site....

Last edited:
Additional Audio CD, Hybrid SACD - DSD, Super Audio CD - DSD, September 19, 2007

Product description
内容紹介
Japanese SACD hybrid disc pressing of Hancock's 1983 album features the digitally remastered stereo mix and the 5.1 mix. The SACD side is only playable on SACD players. The CD side is playable on most CD players. Sony.
View attachment 58841

Info from Amazon.jp - No 'obi' or back label shown.... Not listed on Sony Music Japan site....
There was a Japanese 2007 SACD, but Discogs has it as stereo only.
Also Amazon is well known to list items incorrectly.
I’m thinking this is just a typo/wrong format situation by Amazon.jp

https://www.discogs.com/Herbie-Hancock-Future-Shock/release/1815626

Seems like a non-zero chance of seeing a Steven Wilson remix of Olias of Sunhillow in 2021 also. (Mentioned in an article that @haikubass posted earlier this year.) Wishful thinking, maybe, especially given how long some of Wilson's remixes have taken, from announcement to eventual release. Still, Anderson was hoping for the mix to be done "by Christmas."

There was a Japanese 2007 SACD, but Discogs has it as stereo only.
Also Amazon is well known to list items incorrectly.
I’m thinking this is just a typo/wrong format situation by Amazon.jp
I have that disc, and unsurprisingly for 2000s SONY Japan, it's only stereo. I'd definitely spring for a surround SACD of this title, along with many other releases on rt's list. I was considering upgrading my car next year ... whoops. 😅

Who's Next could be a huge boxset, hopefully with all of Townshend's Lifehouse demos and some of the live recordings they did at the time. Worryingly I have heard that some of the multi-tracks are missing, specifically for "Won't Get Fooled Again" and a few other tracks. As that was news from years ago, hopefully this has changed.

I suspect there will be a big box for the 30th anniversary of Metallica's self-titled 1991 "black album", concurrent with the sets they have done for their first four albums, as well as this year's release of S&M 2. Back in the early 2000's, it was remixed into surround for a DVD-A release. It would make for perfect inclusion in whatever they might have planned for what could potentially be a huge release as far as concert and documentary footage.

Last edited:
Pink Floyd: The Later Years boxset was released in 2019, but it was too steep for me. We got Delicate Sound Of Thunder as a Standalone in 2020, which I bought. I would be fun to have a standalone of A Momentary Lapse Of Reason this year, even if its a low profile release like the DTS DVD of The Division Bell in a slipcase (which I bought also because the Immersion boxset was too steep for me).

For Animals, I hope they don't wait until 2022 because it will be the 45th anniversary.

Rush: the Moving Picture DVD-A was discontinued last year and is now harder to find, so a new mix would be fun if it's not in a big boxset like the A Farewell To Kings in 2017.

Back