Looking forward to 2022!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's confirmed that a box set of "Who's Next" is being released in 2022.
No information on surround sound yet, but what does bode well is the fact that both "Tommy" and "Quadrophenia" were mixed in 5.1 surround, plus Universal Music are looking for more high profile albums to remix and release in Dolby Atmos, both for Blu-Ray and for streaming (Apple Music, TIDAL, Amazon Music, etc.)

Hope Springs Eternal!

:)

I did post in another thread that Universal is FINALLY going to release THE WHO HITS 50 containing 42 tracks from the Who's discography, albeit in Stereo on one Pure Audio BD~A. This was confirmed in a recent email [12/24] from Elusive Disc. Price will be $30!

https://elusivedisc.com/the-who-the-who-hits-50-blu-ray-disc/

Last edited:
I did post in another thread that Universal is FINALLY going to release THE WHO TURN 50 containing 42 tracks from the Who's discography, albeit in Stereo on one Pure Audio BD~A. This was confirmed in a recent email [12/24] from Elusive Disc. Price will be $30!

https://elusivedisc.com/the-who-the-who-hits-50-blu-ray-disc/

wow Ralphie baaaaaaayyyybeeee!! whatta find!! 🤩🥳

Who long have we been waiting for this How disc!? 🤔 🧐

i mean how long - for the Who!! bah!! 😂😆

wow Ralphie baaaaaaayyyybeeee!! whatta find!! 🤩🥳

Who long have we been waiting for this How disc!? 🤔 🧐

i mean how long - for the Who!! bah!! 😂😆
7 years or something to come to fruition!? this was slated for HFPA release yonks ago!!! 🤯

WHO'S Counting, Adam ..... let's just say THE WHO.....BY THE NUMBERS [42 tracks to be exact] Maybe Universal will slap a DOLBY FATMOS label to the disc ... as consolation!

R.6cd59fee9443f394604c85d446339ea0

For Pete's sake .... JUST ENJOY!

It's confirmed that a box set of "Who's Next" is being released in 2022.
No information on surround sound yet, but what does bode well is the fact that both "Tommy" and "Quadrophenia" were mixed in 5.1 surround, plus Universal Music are looking for more high profile albums to remix and release in Dolby Atmos, both for Blu-Ray and for streaming (Apple Music, TIDAL, Amazon Music, etc.)

Hope Springs Eternal!

I had my hopes up for a surround mix on this great album…but had my bubble burst when a few QQers pointed out that the original multitracks on at least some of the songs are apparently known to be missing
😢

I think we can all say that 2021 was at least a little bit better than 2020 was, so let's hope that 2022 is even better, and here's a summary of what we could be looking forward to in the new year!

-STEVEN WILSON REMIXES & ORIGINAL MUSIC:
-PORCUPINE TREE: Probably the most exciting release of 2022 could be the new Porcupine Tree album "Closure/Continuation", their first new album since 2009, but a deluxe edition of "Deadwing" is also expected at some point, probably in the second half of 2022.​
-JETHRO TULL: A 40th anniversary edition of "Broadsword and the Beast", remixed by Steven Wilson, is expected in 2022, and that should complete Steven Wilson's involvement in the Jethro Tull deluxe edition series. Jethro Tull are also releasing a new record, "The Zealot Game", in January 2022.​
-GENTLE GIANT: A reissue of the album "Interview" is expected this coming year, complete with new 5.1 surround and Dolby Atmos mixes from Steven Wilson.​
-ROBERT FRIPP (KING CRIMSON): The expanded deluxe edition box set for Fripp's first solo album "Exposure" was due to be released in 2021, but it will now be released in 2022, and it's probably going to make a lot of people on here very happy!​
-ULTRAVOX: A 40th anniversary edition of "Rage in Eden" is expected in the first half of 2022, so let's hope that Steven Wilson has remixed the album in 5.1 surround just like he did for "Vienna". Maybe a deluxe edition of "Quartet" could also follow in the second half of 2022 for its 40th anniversary.​
-RUSH: A 40th anniversary edition of "Moving Pictures" was expected in 2021, but that release has now been delayed until 2022. Let's hope that the release contains new 5.1 surround & Dolby Atmos remixes from Steven Wilson!​
-OTHER GROUPS: The XTC surround sound series has unfortunately reached another standstill, so it's too tough to know right now if more releases are possible, but let's hope that more tapes turn up eventually! 2022 also marks the 50th anniversary of the release of the first Roxy Music album, and since that album has already been released in a deluxe edition, I hope that more will eventually be released for albums like "For Your Pleasure" and "Stranded".​
-ESOTERIC RECORDINGS:
-THE ALAN PARSONS PROJECT: After years of waiting, we will FINALLY get a deluxe edition of the album "The Turn of a Friendly Card" in the Spring complete with a new 5.1 surround mix from Alan Parsons himself. Maybe with any luck we'll also get a deluxe edition of "I Robot" in the second half of the year!​
-BARCLAY JAMES HARVEST: Deluxe editions of "Once Again" and "Baby James Harvest" are still expected at some point. It would be very nice if the deluxe edition of "Once Again" contained both a new 5.1 surround mix and the original Quadraphonic mix.​
-BILL NELSON (BE-BOP DELUXE): Esoteric capped off their series of Be-Bop Deluxe box sets this year, but there's a strong indication that they will release "Sound-on-Sound" by Bill Nelson's Red Noise as a box set in 2022.​
-PINK FLOYD: "PULSE" will be released on Blu-Ray in February, and that should FINALLY be the last release of the Later Years, clearing the way for the "Animals" remix to FINALLY be released this summer. I'm also hoping that the 5.1 mix of "The Wall" will be released later in the year, maybe with a restored edition of the film.
-MARILLION: Next year is supposed to be a very busy year for Marillion! First and foremost, their new album "An Hour Before It's Dark" is going to be released in March, and various formats are already available for preorder right now. Plus the next Marillion deluxe edition for "Holidays in Eden" should be released in the first half of the year, hopefully followed by the final deluxe edition for "Seasons End" in the second half of the year!
-THE BEATLES: Right now, it's anyone's guess if any of the earlier Beatles records will be remixed, but Peter Jackson did confirm recently that the "Get Back" series will be released on Blu-Ray in 2022, so let's hope that they include the original "Let It Be" film with such a release!
-QUADRAPHONIC REISSUES: "Caravanserai" by Santana is expected to be released as a Quadraphonic SACD from Sony Japan in 2022, and hopefully Dutton Vocalion will deliver more Quadraphonic SACDs of their own too!
-WILD CARDS: I'm still hoping for 5.1 surround & Dolby Atmos mixes of "Who's Next" by The Who, especially since a deluxe edition box set of the album is planned for release in 2022.

This is just a starting point, and I'll add to this post over the next week.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, QQ!

Omit Steven Wilson from your most excellent post and the list shrinks by half. Amazing. The man should receive an OBE.

I actually forgot that it was New Year’s Eve. I kept hearing explosions and I was looking out the window trying to figure out what was going on. I guess that they are starting early this year, as I usually don’t hear fireworks until about 11:00 on NYE. Maybe the alcohol is kicking in? :unsure:

Steven just posted an update on Facebook that said "I did my share of mixing work for other artists in 2021, including some very unexpected high profile ones, but most of these projects have been held over until 2022..."
mmm, high profile. Makes me all warm and fuzzy....sort of. lmao

later in the year the eponymous Ambrosia self-titled album comes out in original 1975 quad.

===and then I woke up from a quadie wet dream======

Better yet, let SW remaster it into 5.1 !!

Dreams I'll prolly never see
or an Alan Parsons' multi-channel remaster/remix?

Up until COVID, Ambrosia was still Touring with three of the original four members (Joe, Christopher & Burliegh).
To date I have seen them in concert eleven times. The 1st was July 30, 1999 at Slim's in SF. The latest Oct. 25th, 2019 at Bal Theatre in San Leandro.

One of my favorite Ambrosia Shows was in 2002 when they performed as the 'House Band' for Al Stewart, Gary Wright, and John Ford Coley, before performing their own set.

Something I have mentioned before on this Site:
For me "a quadie wet dream" would be a multi-channel release of their 2nd album "Somewhere I've Never Travelled" (Produced & Engineered by Alan Parsons in 1976). I have been fortunate enough to hear 'The Brunt' live a couple of times, "What Fun, Fun, Fun 'til Daddy took the Rhino away !!" To borrow a quote from Mr. Stocklin. 'The Brunt' & 'Danse With Me George (Chopin's Plea)' would be multi-channel bliss to my ears.

'And', in total agreement with 'cbmmm3':
The lead off Trio of 'Nice, Nice, Very Nice', 'Time Waits For No One', & 'Holdin' On To Yesterday', plus the INCREDIBLE deep tracks 'Make Us All Aware', 'Mama Frog' and 'Drink Of Water' from Ambrosia's self titled 1st album (also engineered by Alan Parsons, produced by Freddie Piro) would be multi-channel Nirvana, the stuff Travellers' Dreams are made of.

I do not know the status of their Master Tapes, so I cannot speculate on the likelihood of any Ambrosia discrete multi-channel releases in the future, but with the recent release of the Alan Parsons mixed Al Stewart albums, I will remain 'hopeful'.

Last edited:
WHO'S Counting, Adam ..... let's just say THE WHO.....BY THE NUMBERS [42 tracks to be exact] Maybe Universal will slap a DOLBY FATMOS label to the disc ... as consolation!

I wonder if they will even do first time ever stereo versions of songs like Substitute and Happy Jack.

Somewhere on that long road, Roger's and Keith's personalities got swapped out 😝

We need Who's Next

My first Ambrosia concert was early 1978. Ironically, look what I received in the mail yesterday and will Definitely be listening to later this evening

View attachment 74875
A-Ha !!
That is my 'Deserted Island Disk'. Ironically, Somewhere I've Never Travelled is a Deserted Island.
Starting in the early days of my LP collection just beginning to grow, I had been asked several times, "Which one of all those albums is your favorite?" I eventually came to the conclusion that Ambrosia's 'Somewhere I've Never Travelled' is the one.

Back