Looking forward to 2022!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Going through this url; the only mentions I see for surround are for "Animals" (already anticipating!) and also "Who's Next"; which is the first I've heard of any chatter about that one (didn't see actual videos as stated below though, maybe missed it somehow?) anyone else??? -

The Who
We already know that the next Who box set will be the 1971 classic, Who’s Next. It contains two trademark Who songs in ‘Won’t Get Fooled Again’ and ‘Baba O’Reily’. Expect demos / outtakes from the Lifehouse project, surround mixes and more. Pete Townshend posted some behind-the-scenes videos of some of the tape transfer/restoration work last year, which confirmed the project was happening.

Honestly, my main hope for 2022 is for what @rtbluray referred to as "wild cards" -- albums from bands/artists that are either completely unrepresented or woefully underrepresented in surround.

I'm glad for those folks who are excited about more Lennon and Parsons and Tull and whatnot, but truth be told, it's tough for me to keep my surround interest up if all we're getting is the continuation of existing series (especially since most of those series are from artists I don't have much interest in). We need a lot more left-field choices like Destroyer -- now, they need to be something other than $150 box sets, and I won't be buying the Destroyer set because the only thing I'd really be interested in hearing is "Detroit Rock City". But, damnit, as far as opening up new possibilities, I love that it exists!

My post from a page or so ago mentioned Thomas Dolby and Duran Duran, but there are dozens of artists whose surround work I'd pounce on at this point. Rightly or wrongly, I fear that all of the mixing work on the "usual suspects" is taking time away from potential fresher projects. Maybe not -- maybe the artists who keep getting multiple surround releases are the only ones for whom there's a market. For example, are there other artists Bob Clearmountain could be mixing if he wasn't doing all of these albums by The Band? Or is Robbie Robertson the only one who has any interest in Clearmountain's services these days?

Sorry, that ended up being more of a rant than intended. But, after three years in the surround game, I feel my excitement waning, and I just hope for some new blood to get the spark going again.

Honestly, my main hope for 2022 is for what @rtbluray referred to as "wild cards" -- albums from bands/artists that are either completely unrepresented or woefully underrepresented in surround.

I'm glad for those folks who are excited about more Lennon and Parsons and Tull and whatnot, but truth be told, it's tough for me to keep my surround interest up if all we're getting is the continuation of existing series (especially since most of those series are from artists I don't have much interest in). We need a lot more left-field choices like Destroyer -- now, they need to be something other than $150 box sets, and I won't be buying the Destroyer set because the only thing I'd really be interested in hearing is "Detroit Rock City". But, damnit, as far as opening up new possibilities, I love that it exists!

My post from a page or so ago mentioned Thomas Dolby and Duran Duran, but there are dozens of artists whose surround work I'd pounce on at this point. Rightly or wrongly, I fear that all of the mixing work on the "usual suspects" is taking time away from potential fresher projects. Maybe not -- maybe the artists who keep getting multiple surround releases are the only ones for whom there's a market. For example, are there other artists Bob Clearmountain could be mixing if he wasn't doing all of these albums by The Band? Or is Robbie Robertson the only one who has any interest in Clearmountain's services these days?

Sorry, that ended up being more of a rant than intended. But, after three years in the surround game, I feel my excitement waning, and I just hope for some new blood to get the spark going again.

I'm totally with you. Again, I'm always greatful to purchase new surround music..but yikes. When it's the same band, over and over and over. OK, if it were Black Sabbath, over and over and over...I wouldn't be complaining one bit. haha.

Pre~order link for the upcoming Jethro Tull THE ZEALOT GENE [1 BD~A 5.1/2 RBCDs/Artbook included] Release date: February 4, 2022

Jethro Tull: The Zealot Gene (Deluxe CD artbook)

https://www.importcds.com/the-zealot-gene/194399271520
AmazonUS order link...showing a release date of January 28, 2022

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09KN2QPKS?tag=hraudio-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

Last edited:
It is likely that 2022 will see the third installment of Joni Mitchell's ongoing archive series. This will likely cover the period that includes Court and Spark & Hissing of Summer Lawns. The series has been released by Rhino who we know from their excellent Doobie Brothers and Chicago sets aren't averse to resurrecting old quad mixes. Hopefully we get the quad mixes of those two classic LPs.

bArtMan has a new album to be released in 2022 - check the samples at bartman-music: Progressive Rock in Surround
At the end of 2021, after 2 years of working on various songs, I had a new album ready to go. The name says it all. "The Great Disaster" is about the catastrophes of modern times, including the Trump administration, the end of the Afghanistan mission and the climate catastrophe. The album is much more lyric-heavy and contains only one instrumental track. It was initially released digitally on all streaming platforms. A CD and bluray in 5.1 surround sound is in the works.

A bunch of youngsters about to finally enter their adult life - but no, no additional info.
View attachment 75349
yup, some of those we already have ✅ and Caravanserai should be in the works 🤞 - but I'd like to see:

Exile On Main Street
Can't Buy A Thrill 😖
Sailin' Shoes (or any Little Feat)
They Only Come Out At Night
Talking Book
The World Is A Ghetto 🌠
Paul Simon (uhhh slight chance!)
Eagles 🌠

Back