Looking forward to 2022!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will do another post soon talking about what it looks like we have to look forward to later this year, however, before I do that, I thought it would be good to recap the good (and bad) about what has been released so far this year:

-The Good: Standout new albums in 5.1 surround & Dolby Atmos.
So far this year we have had the pleasure of hearing great new albums like "Closure/Continuation" by Porcupine Tree, "The Tipping Point" by Tears for Fears, and "An Hour Before It's Dark by Marillion mixed in 5.1 surround & Dolby Atmos. All of these albums are standouts in the bands' respective catalogues, and it's so great to see all three of these groups continue to embrace surround sound. The Tears For Fears Blu-Ray was a particular surprise, so extra thanks goes out to not only Steven Wilson for mixing the album in surround sound but also to Paul Sinclair at SuperDeluxeEdition.com for getting the Blu-Rays manufactured and sold.
Plus our good friends The Pineapple Thief also saw the opportunity to present a bunch of their older songs to us with new drums from Gavin Harrison under the compilation named "Give It Back" and once again, it's another standout release from them.
Finally, another great newer release is a new 5.1 mix from our friend @nosound of the album he made with No-Man singer "Tim Bowness" about 10 years ago entitled "Memories of Machines". It's another great mix that shows off the wonderfully atmospheric music alongside Tim's beautiful and exquisite voice.
So in terms of surround sound, newer releases like these have taken the best spots amongst this years releases.

-The Bad: A lack of quality classic album remixes.
So far this year we have had slim pickings to choose from in terms of classic album remixes in 5.1 surround & Dolby Atmos. The only real standout release in this category IMHO is the Robert Fripp "Exposures" box set which features two Blu-ray Discs chocked full of surround sound mixes in both 5.1 surround & Dolby Atmos of albums from that period in Fripp's career. It really is the definitive set of that period of time in Fripp's life, and it sounds amazing thanks to great mixes from both Steven Wilson & David Singleton.
But beyond that, what else do we have? Not much is the answer. A reissue of the 5.1 surround mix of Elton John's "Madman Across the Water" on Blu-Ray that doesn't even have lossless audio and a completely overpriced 40th anniversary box set of RUSH's album "Moving Pictures".
That's pretty much it, so again, a very disappointing start in this area so far this year. Hopefully the second half of the year will make up for this dearth of releases.

Again, another post will be coming soon listing what we might have to look forward to for the rest of the year. Stay tuned! :)

I will do another post soon talking about what it looks like we have to look forward to later this year, however, before I do that, I thought it would be good to recap the good (and bad) about what has been released so far this year:

-The Good: Standout new albums in 5.1 surround & Dolby Atmos.
So far this year we have had the pleasure of hearing great new albums like "Closure/Continuation" by Porcupine Tree, "The Tipping Point" by Tears for Fears, and "An Hour Before It's Dark by Marillion mixed in 5.1 surround & Dolby Atmos. All of these albums are standouts in the bands' respective catalogues, and it's so great to see all three of these groups continue to embrace surround sound. The Tears For Fears Blu-Ray was a particular surprise, so extra thanks goes out to not only Steven Wilson for mixing the album in surround sound but also to Paul Sinclair at SuperDeluxeEdition.com for getting the Blu-Rays manufactured and sold.
Plus our good friends The Pineapple Thief also saw the opportunity to present a bunch of their older songs to us with new drums from Gavin Harrison under the compilation named "Give It Back" and once again, it's another standout release from them.
Finally, another great newer release is a new 5.1 mix from our friend @nosound of the album he made with No-Man singer "Tim Bowness" about 10 years ago entitled "Memories of Machines". It's another great mix that shows off the wonderfully atmospheric music alongside Tim's beautiful and exquisite voice.
So in terms of surround sound, newer releases like these have taken the best spots amongst this years releases.

-The Bad: A lack of quality classic album remixes.
So far this year we have had slim pickings to choose from in terms of classic album remixes in 5.1 surround & Dolby Atmos. The only real standout release in this category IMHO is the Robert Fripp "Exposures" box set which features two Blu-ray Discs chocked full of surround sound mixes in both 5.1 surround & Dolby Atmos of albums from that period in Fripp's career. It really is the definitive set of that period of time in Fripp's life, and it sounds amazing thanks to great mixes from both Steven Wilson & David Singleton.
But beyond that, what else do we have? Not much is the answer. A reissue of the 5.1 surround mix of Elton John's "Madman Across the Water" on Blu-Ray that doesn't even have lossless audio and a completely overpriced 40th anniversary box set of RUSH's album "Moving Pictures".
That's pretty much it, so again, a very disappointing start in this area so far this year. Hopefully the second half of the year will make up for this dearth of releases.

Again, another post will be coming soon listing what we might have to look forward to for the rest of the year. Stay tuned! :)

Nice summary. To the good, I would add Propaganda's (er, "xPropaganda's") The Heart Is Strange, which also has an exceptional Atmos mix, and Dutton's half-dozen classical/Broadway reissues from February. (People will argue about the standouts in that bunch; for me it's the Bernsteins: Candide and The Planets.)

Last edited:
Sadly, there won't be any surround in the 20th anniversary deluxe box set of Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots by The Flaming Lips. But that's not the whole story:
While not officially announced, the 6-CD set is due out later this year, with vinyl probably not out till 2023. The set includes the original album, all the Pink Robot singles with remixes and b-sides, plus Wayne Coyne's 4-track demos, live performances (Boston 2002 and London 2003), radio sessions, new interviews with Coyne, Steven Drozd, producer Dave Fridmann, manager Scott Booker, and more. While it won't have the 5.1 surround mix, Wayne says there will be a Dolby Atmos mix "in the not too distant future."
Read the whole article here:
https://www.brooklynvegan.com/the-f...tles-the-pink-robots-20th-anniversary-box-set

My favorite physical releases for the year thus far:
  • Tears For Fears - The Tipping Point
  • The Pineapple Thief - Give It Back
  • xPropaganda - The Heart Is Strange
  • Porcupine Tree - Closure/Continuation
  • Mary Fahl - Can't Get It Out Of My Head
...though I'm definitely expecting Ultravox's Rage In Eden to jump to the top of the list when it drops at the end of the month :)

My favorite physical releases for the year thus far:
  • Tears For Fears - The Tipping Point
  • The Pineapple Thief - Give It Back
  • xPropaganda - The Heart Is Strange
  • Porcupine Tree - Closure/Continuation
  • Mary Fahl - Can't Get It Out Of My Head
...though I'm definitely expecting Ultravox's Rage In Eden to jump to the top of the list when it drops at the end of the month :)

Great list! I would probably add Booka Shade - Movements and the just released Pink Floyd - Animals to that list.

American retailers are showing this one pushed back to December 2nd but UK retailers still show it as September 30th. But yeah, if this is anywhere nearly as good as Vienna, it'll be awesome.

Riverside get back to surround with their upcoming album (*) - and yes, physical release confirmed by the band:
1664542373741.png

(*): One word title.
7 compositions (52 minutes).
2 instrumental bonus tracks (18 minutes).

Riverside get back to surround with their upcoming album (*) - and yes, physical release confirmed by the band:
View attachment 84062
(*): One word title.
7 compositions (52 minutes).
2 instrumental bonus tracks (18 minutes).
I hope that Mariusz will bring once all Lunatic Soul albums in Dolby Atmos

Back