Loreena McKennitt - The Visit - 5.1 and Atmos BluRay

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first post on quad/quad.

I pre-ordered the deluxe set in July, and I live but a 20 minute drive from her home town of Stratford, Ontario.
The mailbox has been empty all week.

Curious, to take advantage of the Atmos mix, what player are you using?

Cheers

Oppo 203 (y)

Wow, I finally received it today. As others have said, fidelity is stunning, but this has been a constant in Loreena's recordings so far.
The mix is perhaps a bit more conservative than I was expecting, but it's a very good one nonetheless. The heights add yet another dimension to the spirituality and emotions within the music and gave me the goosebumps (oh, that moment when the second voice starts in Tango to Evora). And percussion on the rears cry for full range speakers. It's a fantastic record with an even better presentation now. I can only hope now for more reissues following the same approach (The Mask and the Mirror which is much richer in musical layers should be the next one). And yes, I must confess I have a positive bias for Loreena, as she's the only one artist that made me cry in a concert (not getting emotional, actually crying).
Anyway, before I continue digressing, I copy here a note from the book that shows how she really understands the surround format:
"Over the years, I've discovered that my audio requirements on stage are less than common, in that I do not like to have monitors on the floor facing me, but rather side-fills around the stage so that I feel like I am being immersed in the centre of the sound. Instead of the sound coming at you as an audience would experience, the listener of this kind of 'headphone' mix is literally immersed in it. Once I heard this kind of mix, I was amazed to notice how similar it was to being on stage, and I am delighted some people with the right equipment will have this experience too. Living in the sound!"
She also refers to the binaural mix as "simulacrum of surround sound". Did I say a love the lady :love:

Now to decide the best place to buy from.
Would prefer Amazon Canada but it’s a touch over $60CDN before tax.
That ImportCDs price is looking good

Wow, I finally received it today. As others have said, fidelity is stunning, but this has been a constant in Loreena's recordings so far.
The mix is perhaps a bit more conservative than I was expecting, but it's a very good one nonetheless. The heights add yet another dimension to the spirituality and emotions within the music and gave me the goosebumps (oh, that moment when the second voice starts in Tango to Evora). And percussion on the rears cry for full range speakers. It's a fantastic record with an even better presentation now. I can only hope now for more reissues following the same approach (The Mask and the Mirror which is much richer in musical layers should be the next one). And yes, I must confess I have a positive bias for Loreena, as she's the only one artist that made me cry in a concert (not getting emotional, actually crying).
Anyway, before I continue digressing, I copy here a note from the book that shows how she really understands the surround format:
"Over the years, I've discovered that my audio requirements on stage are less than common, in that I do not like to have monitors on the floor facing me, but rather side-fills around the stage so that I feel like I am being immersed in the centre of the sound. Instead of the sound coming at you as an audience would experience, the listener of this kind of 'headphone' mix is literally immersed in it. Once I heard this kind of mix, I was amazed to notice how similar it was to being on stage, and I am delighted some people with the right equipment will have this experience too. Living in the sound!"
She also refers to the binaural mix as "simulacrum of surround sound". Did I say a love the lady :love:
Nice review Cesar! I'd like to see some of her later ones released in surround.
In particular :
A Midwinter Night's Dream
(2008)
& The Wind That Shakes the Barley
(2010).
On ' The Wind That ..' , she is doing traditional Irish songs & IMO, she's at her best with those.

Last edited:
The surround mix is very enjoyable. As mentioned above, it’s not quite as adventurous as it could have been, but is still very satisfying. Although I don’t have an Atmos system, I listened to the Atmos mix and found that my rear 7.1 speakers had a fair amount of activity. I hadn’t noticed that with other Atmos mixes. Very cool! Nice packaging and some interesting bonus material. The binaural headphone mix on one of the cd’s is intriguing, I’m going to have to put the headphones on and check that out. Overall, very well done.

I can't get the blu-ray to play in my Oppo BDP-93. The menu loads, but I can't navigate through it. The remote is unresponsive. I tried using the buttons on the unit itself, but no luck. Am I the only one?

I can't get the blu-ray to play in my Oppo BDP-93. The menu loads, but I can't navigate through it. The remote is unresponsive. I tried using the buttons on the unit itself, but no luck. Am I the only one?
It works on my 93. I've got the latest version that supports the reading of the ISO DVDs.

It works on my 93. I've got the latest version that supports the reading of the ISO DVDs.

That's good info. That's exactly how far my 93's firmware has been updated as well. I guess I must have been sent a flawed copy.

Back