Lost But Found and Almost Lost Again

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scooterb

Hello all,

I have been a member but my email had changed and such so I ended up re-registering so I made it back.

So the other day I was going through a bunch of CD's and organizing them that I had in a box. Throwing out old stuff that I had replaced with either HiRes discs or BR. I came across several duplicate discs that I had DL years ago.
One such duplicate or two for that matter was Animals by PF. One was a surround version that I remembered sounded like crap that someone had done so I handed it to my wife and said toss it. About an hour later I came across another Animals disc that I must have DL in surround and was ready to toss it as well but one thing I noticed I had actually printed out the CD cover that was part of it as well as i put a label on the disc. I decided to check it out.
To my very delighted surprise this had two recording on it. One was from the Q8 and the other was from an SQ recording with all kinds of graphics that came up on the screen (DVD Audio). I was caught off guard because I can't remember if I had listen to this after I recorded it. I only had the SQ version back in the 70's and never could find the Q8. Whoever did the cleanup before uploading this did a remarkable job as it sounds so clean. The Q8 is absolutely beautiful and the surround is done so well. In fact the Q8 version when it came to Pigs on the Wing pt.1 and Pt. 2 was one complete track with a soaring DG guitar solo in between the two parts. I never heard it this way since the recordings I have had had Pt.1 at the opening and Pt.2 and the end after Sheep. I have been waiting for the surround release but it seems both DG and RW can't agree on anything. But after finding this in my stash of old recordings and how good it sounds I' won't have to wait until hell freezes over to hear Animals in surround.

And to think I almost chucked this into the trash.

To my very delighted surprise this had two recording on it. One was from the Q8 and the other was from an SQ recording with all kinds of graphics that came up on the screen (DVD Audio). I was caught off guard because I can't remember if I had listen to this after I recorded it. I only had the SQ version back in the 70's and never could find the Q8.

Though it was announced in a tape catalog back in the '70s and even given a catalog # (JCQ-34474), a quad version of Animals was never actually released. Only Dark Side Of The Moon, Wish You Were Here, and Atom Heart Mother were issued on SQ LP and quad 8-track. It might seem hard to believe, but that disc you're listening to is most likely some kind of four-channel 'upmix'/manipulation created by processing the original stereo mix. There are a lot of surround enthusiasts out there that do this kind of work and the results can often be difficult to distinguish from a genuine remix that utilizes the multitracks.

As stated upthread, welcome (back) to the forum!

Yeah, that would be a fan made upmix from the stereo 8-track edition. That's Snowy White soloing on the linked version of POTW FYI.

Thanks for the replies,
I have several fan made dvd audio discs and they sound decent none are truly discreet. This recording is a fully discreet recording. Example being on Pigs on the wing pt.1 only the front channels are playing and then about 2 minutes in the backs kick in with a robust acoustic panning between the rear channels. There is no channel bleeding like you find in a matrix recording or most fan made discs. This is just brief description of the whole Q8 album. If I could make a copy of it I would offer it up. I can look into possibly copy a flac file and send it off to one of you. I'm telling you this is as good a surround recording as my DSOTM and WYWH. If I didn't find it this good I would not have posted this thread since I have been caught in the past with people saying this or that about various recordings being truly discreet. I have attached a pic of the Q8 label.
IMG_20201014_185312.jpg

Thanks for the replies,
I have several fan made dvd audio discs and they sound decent none are truly discreet. This recording is a fully discreet recording. Example being on Pigs on the wing pt.1 only the front channels are playing and then about 2 minutes in the backs kick in with a robust acoustic panning between the rear channels. There is no channel bleeding like you find in a matrix recording or most fan made discs. This is just brief description of the whole Q8 album. If I could make a copy of it I would offer it up. I can look into possibly copy a flac file and send it off to one of you. I'm telling you this is as good a surround recording as my DSOTM and WYWH. If I didn't find it this good I would not have posted this thread since I have been caught in the past with people saying this or that about various recordings being truly discreet. I have attached a pic of the Q8 label.View attachment 57864

I've heard this, too, @scooterb, and I agree that it's truly extraordinary. But it's been discussed at least twice (that I can remember) in my four years here, and it's a well-known upmix. In fact the fellow who did it talked about his process when he released it. He also created the artwork. The fact that it's an upmix doesn't detract from my enjoyment of it, though. And if Guthrie's 5.1 mix ever sees the light of day, I'm prepared for the possibility that this upmix will outshine it.

Thanks for the replies,
I have several fan made dvd audio discs and they sound decent none are truly discreet. This recording is a fully discreet recording. Example being on Pigs on the wing pt.1 only the front channels are playing and then about 2 minutes in the backs kick in with a robust acoustic panning between the rear channels. There is no channel bleeding like you find in a matrix recording or most fan made discs. This is just brief description of the whole Q8 album. If I could make a copy of it I would offer it up. I can look into possibly copy a flac file and send it off to one of you. I'm telling you this is as good a surround recording as my DSOTM and WYWH. If I didn't find it this good I would not have posted this thread since I have been caught in the past with people saying this or that about various recordings being truly discreet. I have attached a pic of the Q8 label.View attachment 57864
Wow, that's cool, do you have any other pics you can share of this??

Back