Low Tech Audio Surround Solution

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sspsandy

600 Club - QQ All-Star
For those of you interested in moving into mobile surround, but like myself area low budget do it yourselfer, here's my suggestion. I bought a Pro Logic II processor (a Rockford Fosgate RFQ5000) and a 4 channel power amp equalizer (Sony XM also has a Sub channel that I'm not using) and a separate 2 channel power amp eq for the center channel. I also installed a good Pioneer cassette deck. Not wanting to rip the dash apart to install the center speaker, I opted to put it into the center console between the two front seats (there was a cassette holder tray that came out leaving a perfect size for a speaker). What's nice about this is that people riding in back still get a sense of the surround, and the center channel sounds more distinct. Originally I was listening to cassette recordings of all my quad albums, but with the new DVD-a's having a 2 channel encoded track, there is now a wealth of material to lsten too, and the surround encoding decodes beautifully through the processor. While there is a point a view that cassette recordings do not accurately convey the encoded information, to my ear it sound awesome, and leaves the old stereo setup in the dust.

Back