DVD/DTS Poll Lyle Lovett - Joshua Judges Ruth [DTS CD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DTS-CD of Lyle Lovett - Joshua Judges Ruth

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Poor Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

HomerJAU

Moderator: MCH Media Players
Staff member
Please post your thoughts and comments on Lyle Lovett - Joshua Judges Ruth (1992) 5.1 DTS-CD release:

LyleLovett-JJRfront.jpg
LyleLovett-JJRback.jpg

I voted a 9. My vote is 9 for mix and 9 for fidelity. I didn't consider the content because I didn't care for it. In fact, I sold mine to someone on the forum....

If you are a Lyle fan, then this is spectacular. (y)

Hey! I got my poll! I'll give this a "10" just for that! :banana:

This is a great disc. I don't agree that the sonics are QUITE up to DVD-A level (someone said that on another thread), but it's pretty easily the best sounding DTS disc, I've ever heard, so it gets a "10" just for that alone. But this was always a very good sounding album. A little bright for some? Yeah, it's got that early 90s digital thing going on, for sure. But I still find a lot of warmth in the recording as well.

And the songs and the performances are stellar. My favorite Lyle Lovett album, and he has a lot of great ones. Worth it just for him and Rickie Lee Jones doing "North Dakota".

And the surround mix is perfect. George Massenburg did the surround mix someone said? Too bad he didn't do many more.

Highly recommended and I think copies can still be found pretty cheap.

Let’s also note the band he had on this album:

Russ Kunkel on drums
Lee Sklar on bass
Dean Parks on guitar
Matt Rollings on piano

Guest appearance by Rickie Lee Jones, Emmy Lou Harris and Leo Kottke.

Just having THAT in surround in worth the price of admission!

My comments from a thread that existed before this poll was put up...

I don't know who did the mix either, but it's a shame there is no poll entry for this one as it is my favorite DTS CD ever. I'd give it a ten for sure.

Thanks for giving us a poll, @HomerJAU . I certainly did give it the ten it so thoroughly deserves. Brilliant song writing, a mix that serves the music instead of just being gimmicky, and hands down the best sound quality of any DTS disc I've ever heard. I'd love to see this one get a Blu-Ray re-release, just so I could see if there was any noticeable improvement in sound quality. It's that good.

A little bright for some? Yeah, it's got that early 90s digital thing going on, for sure.

As I said on that other thread, one man's "bright" is another man's "articulate". This disc is articulate, and that is a very good thing. Unlike many articulate recordings, they managed to get it done without any sibilance that I recall. Just beautifully recorded.

TBH I was never a fan of Lyle or his style of music, but I picked up an older blue label "High Definition Surround" as a gift on eBay for a lady friend. After two listens with her, I have to agree that this is really an amazing mix, surprisingly great music and a definite benchmark DTS-CD.

Just picked this up based on the rave recommendations here. I like it a lot! The music has a really nice laid-back vibe (a sort of "coffee house" feel if you know what I mean).

I was a little disappointed with the mix at first...maybe I've been listening to too many Columbia Q8s lately :rolleyes:. Some songs do have the backing vocals fairly discrete in the rears ("Church" is a real attention-grabber), but others left me wanting a little more. However, listening further I noticed it has this really nice "live" sound, with Lyle's vocal hard in the center and reflecting into the rears. It really works and actually does make you feel like you're right there with him. I can't really explain it, but on my system the vocal balance seems just perfect (unlike a lot of center channel vocal mixes in which I find myself constantly messing with the center channel volume). Sounds AMAZING in the car...If you've got a DTS-CD capable Acura you have to try this disc.

I agree the fidelity is excellent. DTS-CDs can sound really good, and I think they often don't quite get the attention they deserve here on QQ. An 8 from me.

Back