HiRez Poll Lynyrd Skynyrd - SOUTHERN SURROUNDINGS [DVD-AUDIO/BLU-RAY AUDIO]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/BDA of Lynyrd Skynyrd - SOUTHERN SURROUNDINGS

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters
Are these available at Walmart in Canada? I haven't gone to look myself... curious if anyone knows.

I am going to be in the US next week on business, and will buy any and all that I can find!

Are these available at Walmart in Canada? I haven't gone to look myself... curious if anyone knows.

I am going to be in the US next week on business, and will buy any and all that I can find!

Try this below. Or better yet, there are a few members who still have a few copies left. Contact them now.
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...OF-USA-Members&p=157474&viewfull=1#post157474

From: Lynyrd Skynyrd Hits Package with Elliott Scheiner 5.1 Mix on DVDA!

Post #200

As of 5:00 PM PST, they're still in stock online at Walmart:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/21289895

Also, according to peter (thanks peter) if one is near the border, you can still go for a try:

For those from Canada or Mexico and have a Walmart within driving distance another choice is to order from walmart.com and put in that you will pickup at store from USA near you and it allows you to make the order. I just tried it and it let me put the order in so will wait and see if it actually works.

I didn't have to specify anything as I just did the sign up as new member(only did email address) and it said zip code was optional(I didn't put in then). Then when it came to completing order put in pick up at store and it only asked me for a payment which I then used paypal. I was surprised that this all worked but it let me order it so as i said will see if it actually arrives at store etc but thought I would give it a shot.

peter

EDIT: Also, try this. I did not log-in, but where it said "My Store" I put in location to pick up. Then went to buy as described above. I did give an e-mail and log-in, but clicked "Continue as guest." After a few clicks you get to the payment and go with Paypal. You also have to enter a name who will pick-up and your email address again before the payment page. Anyway, did not even have to put in a Zip code because I put my store in first.

They must have made more. No limit on how many you can buy ( I guess). I did the max of 12. Didn't finish the order of course.

update: Well actually you can just keep adding multiples of 12 for example:

Subtotal (36 items):
$427.68
Estimated Shipping:
$70.92
Estimated Order Total:
$498.60

very solid surround mix, deserves 10.
given the years of recording, still sound pretty good.
lone cons - the lack of nice, punchy bass and kick drum.

Thanks...I'll have to try it in Pure Audio mode and see if it works....I have HDMI Audio turned off and I still get the truncation.

I authored a blu-ray with LPCM 96/24 to get around this...

It will *still* happen even if the HDMI Video line is even plugged in.
According to Oppo, if HDMI output is not used at all, and either analogue or DVI is used, there should be no truncation.
It's not an option for me, as everything is set up with HDMI Video feeding the LCD screens (although HDMI Audio is of course off) and I still get truncation.
WIll try my BDP-83SE in Pure mode & see what happens.....

Finally got a chance to pop this in the Oppo and give a listen. Is it me or did the background image not change between two of the tracks? Don't remember which two right now. Anyway, I give it a solid 9. Brought back a lot of memories as I sat and looked at the pics while listening. Ever since, "You Got That Right" keeps playing in my head. Well Ronnie, you certainly didn't end up in an old folks home, did you? Wonder what you would be doing if you were here today.....

great value if you ahve a friendly qq'r to help you out.
Love the surround disc top southern rock, Good but not spectacular mix and shame about some of the omissions 'sweet Home Alabama' for instance at least its on the CD. Is it me or does the extended bit on 'Freebird' sound like its from another take its just completely dufferent from the rest of the songs.
If its mastertape that are the reasons for not including some songs then i liek teh concept of putting together a 'best of whats available' for surround.

Have not watched the OGWT disc yet I already have that on one of the other LS deluxe editions so i know its great, and assume its probably the same disc rebranded, which may explain why its not included on the DVDA disc in as a DVDV extra

CD is a nice greatest hits package.

All in all evry pleased to have it, nead another listen a couple more times before marking it but its got to be high marks for the complete package

Just popped this in the Oppo 93... The DVD-A Rocks... Nice surround mix. Ordered on-line 2-Disc set... Got the 3-Disc set. No songs cut-off. More later.

Just giving this a first listen now and it sounds very good. Don't know if this has been commented on yet but;
How about the fact that some (most or all) of the original recording was done by the great Tom Dowd. Now compound that with the Elliot Scheiner upgrade. Sounds like a recipe for success. Would like to hear what anyone else has to say regarding this. And let's hope enough of us buy this and the powers that be will release more and more and more.

Hi All,

Could not source this one via a walk-in so I ordered on line and had it sent for pickup at a local Denver store. Picked it up with little hassle yesterday and have just finished my first listen. I give it a 9. My favorites are You Got That Right and That Smell. Both pop out of the speakers and are all I could have hoped for. I felt the guitar parts in the Freebird rave-up could have been mixed more discretely. Sonically I am very pleased with the presentation.

The end of Freebird is a splice for sure, but imho is better than the stereo version on the Skynyrd's Innyrds Greatest Hits CD where the splice is like a sledgehammer. This new version is a better match sonically and to me more tasteful than the older version.

Previously the only surround Skynyrd was the BBC broadcast which was SQ decoded, which I don't remember as being all that discrete. So this is a welcome addition to the collection and I recommend it to any Skynyrd fan.

Ken

Up here in the navel of NYS and out wally had a display up filled with something else, but to the left of the LS ddisplay was a bunch of copies. normal for here.

Wow. I've personally never been a huge fan. I had to listen to my parents and various xenophobic types listening to these things over and over and over and over and over on FM radio for most of my youth. Really had thought I'd heard all there was to hear from these guys. I'm hearing stuff that is blowing me away. I'm a big fan of the mix. This literally is my first interest in this band and would not have occurred had this been a stereo release or a CD qual. one. I can now consider myself a reluctant fan.

Here is my review. I give high marks for this title and hope we get more. If there was one slight thing, I would have cranked the guitars a bit more on Freebird, as another poster has commented. But on my vintage Quad Amp, I was able to make it sound how I wanted.

I give this a 10.

One thing, to add context to this band, I too have not listened to Lynyrd Skynyrd in a very long while. Although ingrained into my soul, when I was in my 20's I moved on from 70s rock, and joined the underground Punk movement. This meant listening to more types of music.

But the thing to remember that's most important if you were not born then, is that the 1970s was a very mellow time for people of all walks of life to chill out and come together. I miss that. Although at the time, we thought here that the late 70s were boring and that there would NEVER be nostalgia for the 70s as it felt like we were bombarded with too much "American Graffiti" and "Happy Days" phony 50s nostalgia. We also had disco, we had punk and funk and soul music. It was confusing, and yet the 70s was a weird mishmash of cultures that came together anyway. It was fun and there were lot's of good times, even if we didn't have much.

Consider this line-up of different bands at a concert I went to at the huge outdoor Oakland Coliseum "Day of the Green" concert series:

Day On The Green #4 & 5: Peter Frampton, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Santana, Outlaws (July 2 & 4, 1977). You get stoned to Santana, then party with Lynyrd Skynyrd and for desert, rock out with Peter Frampton as headliner.

The thing I hope never gets forgotten is what a soulful band the original Lynyrd Skynyrd was. It was very sad and a big loss when their plane crashed. They had to pull the album's original album cover with the fire on the band. They were just getting started as a big band after struggling for many years. They were NOT the establishment at the time, but hippies that must have gotten a lot of grief for being the individual's they were. And that was the commonality many folks found with each other, that we wanted to have a good time, but also listen to music that had meaning. So listen to their music/words, actually not bad, still holds up fairly well for a good time party band.

Anyway, let's hope we can get more of these titles.

OQG:
Thank you for the perspective/history lesson.
Would have known none of this otherwise.

Here is my review. I give high marks for this title and hope we get more. If there was one slight thing, I would have cranked the guitars a bit more on Freebird, as another poster has commented. But on my vintage Quad Amp, I was able to make it sound how I wanted.

I give this a 10.

One thing, to add context to this band, I too have not listened to Lynyrd Skynyrd in a very long while. Although ingrained into my soul, when I was in my 20's I moved on from 70s rock, and joined the underground Punk movement. This meant listening to more types of music.

But the thing to remember that's most important if you were not born then, is that the 1970s was a very mellow time for people of all walks of life to chill out and come together. I miss that. Although at the time, we thought here that the late 70s were boring and that there would NEVER be nostalgia for the 70s as it felt like we were bombarded with too much "American Graffiti" and "Happy Days" phony 50s nostalgia. We also had disco, we had punk and funk and soul music. It was confusing, and yet the 70s was a weird mishmash of cultures that came together anyway. It was fun and there were lot's of good times, even if we didn't have much.

Consider this line-up of different bands at a concert I went to at the huge outdoor Oakland Coliseum "Day of the Green" concert series:

Day On The Green #4 & 5: Peter Frampton, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Santana, Outlaws (July 2 & 4, 1977). You get stoned to Santana, then party with Lynyrd Skynyrd and for desert, rock out with Peter Frampton as headliner.

The thing I hope never gets forgotten is what a soulful band the original Lynyrd Skynyrd was. It was very sad and a big loss when their plane crashed. They had to pull the album's original album cover with the fire on the band. They were just getting started as a big band after struggling for many years. They were NOT the establishment at the time, but hippies that must have gotten a lot of grief for being the individual's they were. And that was the commonality many folks found with each other, that we wanted to have a good time, but also listen to music that had meaning. So listen to their music/words, actually not bad, still holds up fairly well for a good time party band.

Anyway, let's hope we can get more of these titles.
So you got to hear two great Florida bands at that concert. What did you think of The Outlaws? Them and Molly Hatchet used to make the club circuit in Florida, where I saw them many times. Back in the day I spoke with the guys in The Outlaws and Molly Hatchet quite a bit (I worked in a night club) , but sad to say I never got to meet the guys in Skynyrd, who were already making records. Supposedly Ronnie Van Zant was quite a colorful character who literally did everything he could to get the band started and going, from "borrowing" equipment to downright intimidation. I heard many tales of Ronnie over the years. He always sounds like someone I would like if I had known him.
The plane crash was a sad day for Skynyrd fans.

Solid 9...guitar heaven on Free Bird... Only reasons not a 10 - song selection and the sonics a little dull, but recognize source material probably limiting... hope this is the start of a new product line for Walmart.

No more griping about the lack of Sweet Home Alabama, it's on the CD (stereo) and DVD (mono) anyway. That track although great has been overplayed over the years and they didn't have to trash Neil Young, I love his "Southern Man". I had almost forgotten about the other great stuff Lynyrd Skynyrd did, focus on that people! A couple tracks were only so so surround but the rest were great. A real bargain. Hopefully it sells so well that more similar releases will be forthcoming.

It would be great if more 'best of' type packages came like this just use the songs where multitrack tapes exist are included in 5.1. i am surprised they did not put the OGWT set on teh same disc just to show off the format a bit more. definitly happy with this

Back