HiRez Poll Lynyrd Skynyrd - SOUTHERN SURROUNDINGS [DVD-AUDIO/BLU-RAY AUDIO]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/BDA of Lynyrd Skynyrd - SOUTHERN SURROUNDINGS

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters
Did these just get redistributed to Wal-mart? I saw 3 of these in a rinky-dink store in a fairly remote area today. Didn't even know this package existed. Why do they go for much more on Ebay if they are readily available. I will definitely pick this up next time I am in there.

Did these just get redistributed to Wal-mart? I saw 3 of these in a rinky-dink store in a fairly remote area today. Didn't even know this package existed. Why do they go for much more on Ebay if they are readily available. I will definitely pick this up next time I am in there.

wally world was the only scource a member here discovered it a while ago. The scammers on flea bay think it's going to be a rarity, and folks outside the US could not get it, so the mark it up. Don't know if it's out again. Our WW had it and on the display was all Journey cd's. I had to look for them.
BTW, pretty good production, I gave it a 9, the stuff is good but painfully over played to death.

Why do they go for so much more on eBay? Why does anything? I see outlandish prices for items that are either: not that collectible (yet) or just plain common stuff from vinyl to CD's that are laughably overpriced. Fact is, as in anything else, you have some opportunists and dummies for sellers, and mainly the uneducated or dummies for buyers. Whatever anyone will pay on a given day is what anything is worth in the seller/auctioneer's world.

This comp, though, seems to have gotten some hinky distribution--easy to find in some regions, hard to find in others.

ED :)

Why do they go for so much more on eBay? Why does anything? I see outlandish prices for items that are either: not that collectible (yet) or just plain common stuff from vinyl to CD's that are laughably overpriced. Fact is, as in anything else, you have some opportunists and dummies for sellers, and mainly the uneducated or dummies for buyers. Whatever anyone will pay on a given day is what anything is worth in the seller/auctioneer's world.

This comp, though, seems to have gotten some hinky distribution--easy to find in some regions, hard to find in others.

ED :)

Greed, they buy them up thinking it will be oop soon enough, then as PT Barnum stated correctly- " there is a sucker born every minute."

A real surprise here. The menu is adequate; nothing special. Though, I do find it irritating when they play a particular song during the menu (in this case, Freebird...). But the overall package is nice. The stereo greatest hits disc was not the reason I bought this. The BBC footage disc is an interesting watch, but ultimately lame. It was originally recorded in mono and remastered for this release, and like most live recordings it just makes you want to hear the studio versions of the songs instead. The surround disc, on the other hand, is pretty spectacular.

Scheiner delivers on this mix. Songs that you've heard your entire life are presented here in beautifully mixed, dynamic tracks that breathe new life into something that you took for granted - like Saltine crackers. The low end is smooth and prominent. There are very few annoying mix anomalies, like when you know a song so well that you know every sound in the background - and suddenly it's not there or not mixed right. I gave this one a 9 just on the strength of the 5.1 disc. It probably would've merited a 10 if they'd included Sweet Home Alabama on the 5.1 disc. It's on the stereo disc...but not the surround disc. This is baffling. But overall, an amazing effort. I only paid about $20 USD for this on Amazon, and it was worth every penny.

...It probably would've merited a 10 if they'd included Sweet Home Alabama on the 5.1 disc. It's on the stereo disc...but not the surround disc. This is baffling...

I believe the multis could not be found for Sweet Home Alabama ... as explained somewhat in post #32. I seem to remember this was determined more definitively elsewhere, but I can't find the source at the moment.

The back of the recent HFPA Blu-Ray release of this title:
LYNYRD-SKYNYRD---SOUTHERN-SURROUNDINGS-2015-EU-Blu-Ray-Audio-2.jpg

(Note that it contains a bonus surround mix of a live performance of "Sweet Home Alabama")

Love this release. The surround is great. I vote 10.

[
I never was a big fan of Lynyrd Skynyrd growing up, hearing so many of there songs played by cover bands at local parties all around Florida. It just always seemed that their music had that southern stigma to it, but this disc has really opened my ears to how well recorded and produced these albums were.
If you're not a Skynyrd fan (like I wasn't), give this disc a shot, and you might just change your mind! :)
(Voted a '9')[/QUOTE]

My sentiments exactly. Very surprised at how good these songs were recorded particularly the Al Kooper involved songs.

Since hirez has brought up this disc again, can anyone who has the newer Blu-Ray share an opinion on the bonus live 5.1 mix of "Sweet Home Alabama"?

A very nice Blu Ray Audio, a very good collection of songs presented in a great surround mix and with a warm and dynamic sound. A solid 9.

The live surround mix of Sweet Home Alabama sounds great, if only all live concerts on Blu Ray/dvd would sound like this....

Since hirez has brought up this disc again, can anyone who has the newer Blu-Ray share an opinion on the bonus live 5.1 mix of "Sweet Home Alabama"?

I hadn't heard of this BD release until I read this bumped thread last night, so I placed an order just after midnight and it will be with me tomorrow, just over twenty four hours, not bad for standard delivery of £1.66 (Amazon UK).

I hadn't heard of this BD release until I read this bumped thread last night, so I placed an order just after midnight and it will be with me tomorrow, just over twenty four hours, not bad for standard delivery of £1.66 (Amazon UK)......TWICE, How does that happen....

rtbluray,

I notice you did not receive a response to your query on the live track "Sweet Home Alabama".

I recently submitted a review of the Blu-ray "Southern Surroundings" on another internet site. Again, an extraordinary 5.1 remix from Elliot Scheiner.

As for the live track, the original production and recording was superb. It shows in the high quality of the audio as "Sweet Home Alabama" sounds great and IMHO fits very well sonically with the studio tracks. Scheiner keeps the crowd noise to a minimum in the rears and more importantly, the rear channels are discreet and quite active.

My overall assessment of this Blu-ray release is a "10".

Lived with the blu ray for a few days now. I like the mix okay, and the songs never get old. I have a Polk front stage with an Emo amp fed from an Oppo via HDMI, and you could certainly say this would lean towards being 'bright'. Even so, I find this disc just a tad on the dull side, not as crisp as I'd like. I agree with Rickko, if you like the studio songs, you'll certainly like the live edition of Sweet Home Alabama on the blu ray, it's a very good fit with the rest of the album. The surround presentation is top notch, but the sonics are a bit too warm for my taste, I give it an 8.

Grabbed the DVD-audio for a good price. Great sound, and worth the admission price for "Freebird" and "Simple Man", two classics that flesh out nicely in the Scheiner mix. I'm gaining an appreciation for the rest of the tracks too. 9 overall.

Back