HiRez Poll Lynyrd Skynyrd - SOUTHERN SURROUNDINGS [DVD-AUDIO/BLU-RAY AUDIO]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/BDA of Lynyrd Skynyrd - SOUTHERN SURROUNDINGS

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters
I hadn't spun this one in a while, so I pulled the DVD-A off the shelf last weekend to make a DTS-CD for playback in my car. It has not left the car since.

I've always found that the Acura system can reveal flaws in surround mixes that aren't present on my home system. For instance, the center-channel isolated vocals on the Steven Wilson 5.1 mixes sometimes seem buried, or the rear channels on the old CBS quad mixes can be overpowering. It's nothing that can't be solved with some quick balance adjustments.

What's interesting (but not really surprising I guess, as his initials are on the sound system) is that anything mixed by Mr. Scheiner sounds absolutely perfect, and this title is no exception. I have to assume that his 5.1 mixes were done specifically to take advantage of the Acura system.

As others have mentioned, the 5.1 mix is classic ES in that previously-obscured elements are brought to the fore, yet the songs still sound familiar. Standouts for me are "Gimme Three Steps" (the overlapping guitar tracks are split between the front and rear) and "That Smell" (the main riff is locked in left rear).

My one (minor) gripe with the mix is the famous guitar solo section in "Free Bird". It's really cool hearing the layers peeled back - what I used to think was only two guitar parts is revealed to be at least four, if not more - but something about it sounds oddly underwhelming to me. It's like all the guitars are at equal level in the surround mix, while the stereo mix favored some parts over others. I do appreciate getting the extended ending on the surround mix though.

I'm going with a 9 on this one - it's a must for any surround collection.

"Gimme Three Steps":
skynyrd_threesteps.jpg

"That Smell":
skynyrd_smell.jpg

My one (minor) gripe with the mix is the famous guitar solo section in "Free Bird". It's really cool hearing the layers peeled back - what I used to think was only two guitar parts is revealed to be at least four, if not more - but something about it sounds oddly underwhelming to me. It's like all the guitars are at equal level in the surround mix, while the stereo mix favored some parts over others. I do appreciate getting the extended ending on the surround mix though.

Interesting observation about the guitar solo coda being "oddly underwhelming." My particular gripe is that it seems too low in volume compared to the vocal part of the song. So what I did was ramp it up by 3dB in Audacity over several notes. That's my minor gripe...so minor that is one of those "out of my cold dead hands" discs.

Free Bird (Raw):
Free Bird (Raw).png

Free Bird (Coda +3dB):
Free Bird (Coda +3dB).png

Won'tcha flyyy hiiigh Freee Biird YEAH!
rock.gif

Made loud to be played loud 🤟 ..
Remember seeing Queen ANATO tour at the Masonic Temple Friday night, the next night I had tickets to Purple. I gave those away because my ears hadn't recovered yet and Blackmore had left the band anyway. Never had my ears bleed but probably came close Ha..... Never did a twofer after that possible permanent hearing loss.
Something about Free Bird makes you want to crank it though when all the guitars get strumming.

Please rate this DVD-Audio/BluRay disc release on GEFFEN from UMe (Universal Music Enterprises)

[NOTE: This disc was re-released in 2015 by Universal as a BluRay Audio Disc. The information below concerns only the original release, as it was quite an unusual event being retail store specific, and a DVD-A release that appeared long after UMe seemed to have stopped DVD-A production]

(y):phones(n)

The following is from the official press release for this title. Scans will follow:

http://www.marketwire.com/press-rel...surroundings-as-walmart-exclusive-1687346.htm

View attachment 6623
View attachment 6622
Love this. Especially because they included :
The Ballad Of Curtis Loew,
Swamp music &
Simple man.
Sounds fantastic and it's DVD audio. What more could you ask for?

Back