Mac Davis Dead at 78

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you hear about artists and musicians from the 70's passing away its reality hitting you in the face like a shovel

I liked them both and its sad

RIP
I didn't have their records when they were current but knew the hits by heart as they were all over the radio and TV. I woke up to the news of Helen Reddy on the clock radio and later heard about Mac Davis shortly after. They passed within a couple hours of each other apparently. I used to watch all the music shows on TV on Saturday evenings and Sundays after Disney at 6pm. I wish today's TV had that kind of entertainment still. This news makes me very sad.

I didn't have their records when they were current but knew the hits by heart as they were all over the radio and TV.

Same here. (And because the girls on my school bus sang them incessantly.)

I used to watch all the music shows on TV on Saturday evenings and Sundays after Disney at 6pm.

Ditto again. I remember watching both Reddy's and Davis's variety shows--and seeing Reddy on Flip Wilson and Carol Burnett. On the latter, especially, it was clear to me, even as a kid, that Reddy had a wry and occasionally wicked sense of humor.

If I'm remembering right, Reddy also included a few songs penned by Davis on her early albums. She was reputedly a champion of several young, up-and-coming songwriters of the day.

Five years ago we saw Mac Davis live "in the round" at Nashville's Bluebird Cafe. Mac regaled his audience with life stories including how he met Elvis and how he came to write hits including In the Ghetto and A Little Less Conversation.

In 2010 Davis wrote Time Flies. Boy does it!

Mac will be missed. Here are a couple photos from that night:
A97A5455.jpg
A97A5467.jpg

Five years ago we saw Mac Davis live "in the round" at Nashville's Bluebird Cafe. Mac regaled his audience with life stories including how he met Elvis and how he came to write hits including In the Ghetto and A Little Less Conversation.

In 2010 Davis wrote Time Flies. Boy does it!

Mac will be missed. Here are a couple photos from that night:View attachment 57500View attachment 57501

For sure, that guy could tell stories. Does everyone remember the Mac Davis show back in the 70's. Remember how he would have a nightly segment where he would sit on a stool close to the audience. He would choose someone, they would shout out a very random "situation". He would then make up a song based on that on the fly. Amazing talent. Seriously.

Does everyone remember the Mac Davis show back in the 70's.

I remember my pretentious father walking into the room when Davis was demonstrating "eefin'" and having a fit because it was such lowbrow entertainment or some such thing.

Probably scarred me for life and gave me a permanent taste for junk entertainment. I'm now 61 and have recently become addicted to Dark Shadows. Sorry, Dad.

Back