DVD/DTS Poll Magenta - The Twenty Seven Club [DTS96-24/DD DVD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the Audio-DVD of Magenta - THE TWENTY SEVEN CLUB

• 10: Great Surround, Great Content, Great Fidelity

Votes: 4 19.0%

Votes: 12 57.1%

Votes: 4 19.0%

Votes: 1 4.8%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Content, Poor Fidelity

• Total voters

Bob Romano

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this release that comes with a DTS and Dolby 5.1 Audio DVD.(n)(y)

Attachments

• the-twenty-seven-club-2013.JPG
    the-twenty-seven-club-2013.JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 570
I dont have it yet... no shipping notice either

:(

edit: by the way... hate your avatar. ive been trying to kill that bug for a while and got scared it was inside my screen :p :yikes:mad:@:

This is an easy 10 for me. Rob's a well practiced master of surround mixes now and the combination of his mixing skills, some of Magenta's strongest material to date and much higher resolution than their previous surround releases make this a near perfect experience in surround sound Prog. You can tell from the instrumentation, vocal and effects placement in the surround field of this fully discrete mix that he's thinking about surround as it's being recorded. It accentuates the music in a way that makes it an organic part of the whole. The six tracks are substantial affairs that ebb and flow in a way that's usually associated with bands like Yes. Stunning stuff and great to see (hear) another band releasing new material with awesome surround mixes. Long may it continue!

Neil summed this disc up nicely. Lovely, active surround mix. A "9" from me (although it's probably more "9" and a half). With this and Mike Oldfied's "Crises" this is turning into a good month for surround mixes.

Has anyone is the USA received theirs yet? I ordered a few days before the release and don't have it yet. Don't even have a shipping confirmation email yet either.

K

Has anyone is the USA received theirs yet? I ordered a few days before the release and don't have it yet. Don't even have a shipping confirmation email yet either.

K

I got mine in New Zealand last week.

FYI - They don't seem to send any shipping notice...

Finally got it,not sure why it took so long as ordered from website very early, well good thing is it's arrived,yeh will give it a spin today.
Nice to see the 2 Neil's from here mentioned in liner notes,Neil P and Neil W.

Great music and mix. As I was informed the reason of the delay was that they'd had to await a re-pressing of the disc due to high demand.

Well had my first listen this morning and it put a smile on my face, great music,great mix,great sound. It will be fun getting to know this album better over next few weeks, sure wish this was a Dvda so that I could listen in the car. Sound wise this is really good wonder if one could tell the difference between Dvda and a Dts 24/96. My only other magenta is Seven and mix was good on that one as well but sounded rather thin due to Dolby Digital only, this one has a way fuller lush sound, love the layered vocals and layered synth's etc.

Another great release by this woefully under appreciated band. This makes four stellar surround releases from a band that I don't seem to know anyone who knows about. They always remind me of what I love about Yes (who are my all time favorites) and I always think any Yes fan should give these guys (and girl) a listen. The track Pearl is incredible! A little different than the others with an almost Prog-blues feel to it. Very beautiful music combined with a great guitar solo. But the whole thing is great and I would highly recommend to any Progressive rock fans. For that matter, I'd recommend all four surround releases. My personal favorite is probably Metamorphosis, but they are all excellent.
My shipment must have gotten sidetracked and after not showing up I called and they apologized and they sent me their live cd "On Our Way to Who Knows Where" to make up for it. And it really made me realize how much I've become a fan of this band. I have listened to them almost exclusively through their surround releases, but playing the cd in the car really brought out how good I think their music is. Again, to me, this is the closest any band gets to Yes and what I love about them. Probably one of the top 2 or 3 acts I've discovered over the last decade or so. And it's another one I found on this site because of the surround sound mix.

K

Another great release by this woefully under appreciated band. This makes four stellar surround releases from a band that I don't seem to know anyone who knows about. They always remind me of what I love about Yes (who are my all time favorites) and I always think any Yes fan should give these guys (and girl) a listen. The track Pearl is incredible! A little different than the others with an almost Prog-blues feel to it. Very beautiful music combined with a great guitar solo. But the whole thing is great and I would highly recommend to any Progressive rock fans. For that matter, I'd recommend all four surround releases. My personal favorite is probably Metamorphosis, but they are all excellent.
My shipment must have gotten sidetracked and after not showing up I called and they apologized and they sent me their live cd "On Our Way to Who Knows Where" to make up for it. And it really made me realize how much I've become a fan of this band. I have listened to them almost exclusively through their surround releases, but playing the cd in the car really brought out how good I think their music is. Again, to me, this is the closest any band gets to Yes and what I love about them. Probably one of the top 2 or 3 acts I've discovered over the last decade or so. And it's another one I found on this site because of the surround sound mix.

K

Great review, which pretty much sums up how I feel about them, except I think 27 is just better than Metamorphosis (which used to be my favourite album.) The Yes feel is no coincidence; Yes are one of Rob's favourite bands so the influence is definitely there and Chris (the guitarist) does a damned goo Howe-esq solo! There's a promo video of them doing Wondrous Stories floating around which is well worth checking out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2EeF59ObeE

(If memory serves this was the promo for "Live at Real World" which, incidentally, also has a 5.1 soundtrack.)

Agree entirely about Pearl. Not your usual Prog but quite possibly the best song Rob has ever written. Brings tears to my eyes, and oh, that guitar solo!

I finally got round to listening to this today (in DTS 5.1), having been waiting for a suitable time after hearing the downloads released prior to the album coming out. All I can say is WOW what an album.

Reminded me of the best of Yes in places, great musically, fantastic soaring guitars, nice mix. It made me pick up my guitar and try and play along - it just hit that spot bang on, I couldn't help it, it affected me that much.

I came across Magenta via QQ before I joined, and got hooked. This IMHO is their best yet. :banana:

Gave it a 9 (a bit mean I know!), because having heard it I think it deserves to be heard in 96kHz/24-bit 5.1 surround.

MAn, this sucks! All I read is praises about the album and my copy has not arrived yet! and I preordered!!! When was the release date...I cant even remember! It has been 1 or 2 months already? Im starting to worry where my copy is...

MAn, this sucks! All I read is praises about the album and my copy has not arrived yet! and I preordered!!! When was the release date...I cant even remember! It has been 1 or 2 months already? Im starting to worry where my copy is...

Shouldn't be that late; where did you order it from?

From the Magenta page.

The same happened to me with Kompendium.. but I dont know if this long.

Ive also ordered form Burning Shed, KAtatonia new DVDa and other albusm and they havent arrived either. Seems stuff from the UK are taking a lot of time to arrive...

From the Magenta page.

The same happened to me with Kompendium.. but I dont know if this long.

Ive also ordered form Burning Shed, KAtatonia new DVDa and other albusm and they havent arrived either. Seems stuff from the UK are taking a lot of time to arrive...

Drop them a line using the contact form in the shop. They're really nice people and will be only too happy to check when it shipped and help out. Let me know if you need any more assistance with getting it sorted.

Back