My "MagnaTron" Home Theater Setup

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MagnumX

400 Club - QQ All-Star
There was a movie theater in Canton, Ohio called the Palace Theater that had (may still have) an "outdoor" look to it like you're outside with star lights built into the ceiling. Combined with the cloud effect from Pirates of the Caribbean ride, I wanted and outdoor look for my home theater so I bought this projector that uses a laser to project a star field onto the ceiling and another lends to do animated clouds/nebula effects (you can use either one alone or combine them). Combined with KODI's visualizer (using the new Matrix one), it's a pretty neat effect for listening to music like Pink Floyd. I named the home theater after my favorite movie (TRON) and Magnum handle (MagnaTron). There are other lighting effects in the room as well now (Crystal Skull on right front wide speaker lights up and changes colors as does the giant diamond from Conan The Destroyer); Indiana Jones display on bookshelf lights up with emotive candles and lit stones; crystal ball from Harry Potter lights up on right wall and a new Hellraiser display lights up one of the boxes from the inside periodically (not shown as 360 views aren't fully up to date).

Theater Star Ceiling.jpg

Theater Room with lights on (not quite up to date with newer movie props, etc., but gives you an idea). It's a 17.1 (11.1.6) setup with support for Dolby Atmos, DTS:X and Auro-3D with six seats and three rows with a 92" screen with a 3D projector. It uses all PSB speakers with matching drivers (save the subwoofer). The Thomas Kincaid tapestries in the front left/right are actually sound absorption for the first reflection (disguised). Click thumbnails for full size pics:

360 Views:

Theater Room Front Left Screen s.jpg Theater Room Front Middle Screen s.jpg Theater Room Front Right Screen s.jpg Theater Room Mid Right Front s.jpg Theater Room Right Mid s.jpgTheater Room Rear Right Corner s.jpg Theater Room Rear Center s.jpg Theater Room Rear Left Corner s.jpg Theater Room Left Mid s.jpg

Front Row:
Theater Room Front Row s.jpg

Layout and Angle Diagrams:
Home Theater Layout 11_1_6.jpg MagnaTronSpeakerAngles2.jpg

Equipment Cabinets (Speaker selector switch allows 'true' Auro-3D layout change; extra Pro Logic processors add "Scatmos" Top Middle speakers for all modes) Yes, I can still play Laserdiscs too:

NewLeftRack S.jpg NewRightRack S.jpg

Indiana Jones Bookshelf Display (Ambient & Lit Up):

Before I moved the grail to the back of the room:

Indy Bookcase Aug2020 Ambient Lit s.jpg

After and lit in the dark with remote control lights:

BookShelf Tripod 01s.jpg

The Ark of the Covenant (1/6 Scale Lit up with Votive Candles by remote):

Ark Lit 01s.jpg

Overview of Bookshelf Display from different angle:

Ark Lit Shelf Angle 01s.jpg

Hellraiser Display:

Lament Boxes Bell Jars Open Center 02s.jpg

One of the boxes can light up:

Screamin 1991 Hellraiser Box Lit 02s.jpg

Breastplate added to Rear Indy Display:

Raiders Corner Breastplate 01vs.jpg

Updated Rear of Room Display (new home of holy grail when Ark moved to front lit display by bookshelf):

Indy Holy Grail Bell Jar 01s.jpg

Crystal Skull that sits on Right Front Wide Speaker (Lit):

Crystal Skull L01Ws.jpg

Star Wars / Blade Runner Corner Lit and updated:

Blade Runner 2049 Corner Blaster Mounted.jpg

Maltese Falcon Display with Sam's Ronson TouchTip Lighter and the Bird:

Maltese Falcon Poster Display Touch Tip.jpg

Success from excess! Very impressive. Must have involved much time, money and effort. Trust you spend many transcendental hours there and hope you have many friends to share your fun with. Rock on!

Success from excess! Very impressive. Must have involved much time, money and effort. Trust you spend many transcendental hours there and hope you have many friends to share your fun with. Rock on!

Between a shoulder problem that took forever for the doctors to diagnose correctly and then the pandemic, I needed a hobby to keep me from moping about too much and it started from upgrading the 720p projector + 6.1 sound home theater and 24-year old couch and chairs to then decorating with movie props during the pandemic (something to do since I couldn't go out and involved many hours scouring eBay and prop/replica forums). Now I feel like I'm in a little museum and trippy Disney haunted mansion type room when playing games (PS4 on a 92" screen with NeuralX upmixed 17.1 surround is pretty cool), watching movies and listening to music. o_O

I didn’t know the Canton Theater had the cloud projection too. I know the Akron Civic theater has the clouds projection. It’s pretty cool. Your Magnatron home theater looks pretty cool too!

I didn’t know the Canton Theater had the cloud projection too. I know the Akron Civic theater has the clouds projection. It’s pretty cool. Your Magnatron home theater looks pretty cool too!

I don't rightly recall if it had any clouds or not (going by old old memory), but it definitely had stars. I'm thinking more of Pirates of the Caribbean ride at Disney World and Disneyland with the clouds.

A few other bits:

Updated Conan Display:

Fang of the Serpent Dagger

Conan - Fangs of the Serpent dagger 01s.jpg

In the Box is the Horn of Dagoth

Horn of Dagoth s.jpg

Under the Sword is the Hearth of Ahriman (lights up like in Conan The Destroyer):

Heart of Ahriman Lit Red Close s.jpg

Overview (left front wide speaker has the alien skull on it and the subwoofer is in the corner in front of it) Also shown is the Heart of Arimon:

Conan Corner Horn Dagoth s.jpg

Half Bathroom off Home Theater Display of the stones from The Fifth Element (as scented candle holders) and the key to the tomb where they were stored:

Fifth Element Stones and Key 01.jpg

Fifth Element Key 01s.jpg

There's a few more lighters added (Man From The Golden Gun, for example), but this is the shelf right above the sink in the half-bath (Two Spectre rings, Jurassic Park Amber cane top, several old movie lighters and a few little guys performing some kind of ceremony by the English Leather bottle....

Half Bath Shelf Update.jpg

More Misc. Items....

Indy's Hat:

Raiders Hat s.jpg

Toht's coat hanger from Raiders of the Lost Ark:

Toht Hanger closed.jpg

Toht Hanger open.jpg

Henry Jones Sr's Grial Diary:

Grail Diary Open 01 s.jpg

Staff of Ra Medallion cookies I baked myself using a mold I made from one of the medallions:

ReMold After Bake 03s.jpg

Doc Brown's Miniaturized DeLorean delivering my Maltese Falcon lighter from 1936....

Surreal Delorean Touch Tip.jpg

Falcon Touch Tip Lighter Delorean 01.jpg

The Elysium Configuration box:

Elysium White s.jpg

Elysium Top Down Bright 01s.jpg

Elysium Mark 3_1 Top.jpg

What a cool room!

What's the name of the wall hanging next to Conan's sword? I'm pretty sure I had an advent calendar that used that artwork when I was a kid.

Do you mean the cottage hanging?

LeftFrontOverviewNew.jpg

That's a Thomas Kincade paintings mounted on wall tapestries (they also can light up from a hidden battery pack inside (different picture on either side). I got them as a gift. They're thick tapestries so they also get rid of 1st side wall reflections and slap echo! :)

There's one on the right wall too:

Theater Room Front Right Screen s.jpg

Oddly, the owner of the Skinwalker Ranch (show on Discovery) has the same Katana sword I have on the right there and a Hellraiser lament configuration box in his office on the show sitting on the shelf behind him:

Brandon Fugal Hellraiser Cube.jpg

I had to get Conan's Sword from the bodies in the cave (here's one of the skulls):

Crystal Conan s.jpg

The door to the Jeweled Horn will open shortly:

Heart of Ahriman Lit White Far s.jpg

Heart of Ahriman Lit Red Far s.jpg

"Heart of Ahriman" Diamond lit in the Movie "Conan The Destroyer" (from movie footage) (LEFT). Mine lit from a similar angle (RIGHT)

Movie Snapshot Heart of Ahriman s.jpg
Heart of Ahriman Lit Red Close Compare Movie s.jpg

Harry Potter Crystal Ball lights up (using light puck I rigged behind it). All these lights come on with a remote control button rigged to AC outlets:

HarryPotterWandGlobeLocket S.jpg

CrystalBallColors S.jpg

Men In Black Pocket Universe?

GalaxySphereLit.jpg

Memory Orb Displayed instead from Blade Runner 2049 instead on same light stand:

Blade Runner 2049 Memory Crystal S.jpg

Back