DIGITAL Mahavishnu Orchestra -- Birds of Fire SACD quad FIX

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ssully, you mentioned elsewhere that you were considering moving the drum solo on "One Word" from the rears to the fronts... I ended up putting the drum solo in the fronts and rears (and lowering the levels of both accordingly), and it sounds really good (even though it's double stereo)

Ssully, you mentioned elsewhere that you were considering moving the drum solo on "One Word" from the rears to the fronts... I ended up putting the drum solo in the fronts and rears (and lowering the levels of both accordingly), and it sounds really good (even though it's double stereo)
The nice thing about modern digital audio is that we can make changes like that to suit our tastes. Myself I like the drums in the rear!

Last edited:
I was listening to this the other day on my Living Room system via the Oppo BDP-95. The channels were correct, guitar on the right and the pan going clockwise. Realising that my copy couldn't be correct while others had swapped channels I switched to the stereo output (the 95 has separate analog stereo and multichannel outputs) and the channels were reversed. It just goes to show just how easy it is to get channels swapped around, when using analog outputs. In my case two wrongs made a right for this disc at least.

I'll be comparing this one to the Audio Fidelity and to my SQ vinyl rip when I get a chance. I guess that when I ordered this I was thinking that I wanted to support Sony Japan's quad release program, but I would of thought that they would of known about and fixed the channel issue. I suspect that I have gained nothing over the original AF release. It's easy to boost the bass and treble a bit if needed on playback of the AF disc.

I was listening to this the other day on my Living Room system via the Oppo BDP-95. The channels were correct, guitar on the right and the pan going clockwise. Realising that my copy couldn't be correct while others had swapped channels I switched to the stereo output (the 95 has separate analog stereo and multichannel outputs) and the channels were reversed. It just goes to show just how easy it is to get channels swapped around, when using analog outputs. In my case two wrongs made a right for this disc at least.

:unsure:
Am I interpreting this correctly?
Your quad layer front output was violin - keys-guitar?
Your stereo layer output was guitar-keys-violin?

If so, this suggests that both of your outputs were/are incorrectly connected -- unless the stereo mix on the Sony Japan SACD is flawed too (I haven't listened to it)

:unsure:
Am I interpreting this correctly?
Your quad layer front output was violin - keys-guitar?
Your stereo layer output was guitar-keys-violin?

If so, this suggests that both of your outputs were/are incorrectly connected -- unless the stereo mix on the Sony Japan SACD is flawed too (I haven't listened to it)
The stereo was outputting the front channels of the multi mix. You can't play both the stereo and multichannel layer at the same time. I don't normally bother listening to the stereo (of multi-channel discs) anyway.

Last edited:
Then I don't understand how your system could correct the output of (incorrectly mixed) quad front when outputting 4 channels, but leave it incorrect when only outputting the front channels.

Then I don't understand how your system could correct the output of (incorrectly mixed) quad front when outputting 4 channels, but leave it incorrect when only outputting the front channels.
The player has separate left and right stereo outputs, in fact two sets one XLR. It also has separate surround outputs. My left and right front cables were swapped on the multichannel outputs. The cables connecting to left and right were correctly connected to the separate stereo outputs. So when I switched my amp to the stereo outputs they were swapped compared to the multichannel outputs. Sorry if you didn't understand my ramblings but I thought that I had been clear.

Back